We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » General Grant Pockets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4977 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Wow, 11" is a big bird. My largest bird is only 8 1/2" long beak to tail tip. I've measured all of my Gen Grants pockets and the smallest one was a little over 11" deep. Tony Clarks are 11" deep as well.

Rather than cut the birds tail feathers, I'd rather just open the back of the pocket a little. Better to cut a pocket than a birds feathers.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
I know a lot of dove workers trim the dove's tail feathers, but I don't like to. The only way I will is if my dove's tail feathers get badly haggered. So far I have not had to trim them. I very slight trimming looks ok I suppose, but I do not like to see doves with their tail feathers cut was down.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4977 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Me too in case you hadn't noticed. When the tail feathers get haggered looking, I hold the feathers together near the tip and just trim enough in an arc to make them even.

It's a personal decision I guess but I've seen quite a few performers with birds that almost have no tail. This great for loading purposes but to me, it just doesn't give a good appearance when produced, not to mention the off balance condition the birds must endure.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5694 Posts

Profile of Regan
I feel exactly the same way Dave. As I said, I have not had to trim my doves' tails yet, but if I do I will just trim the very minimum needed to even them up. I've seen some big name performers with "near-tail-less doves". I don't like the look, and as you mentioned the dove must not like it either. I can't imagine how they are able to balance.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » General Grant Pockets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL