The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind's top 5 effects (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of rickreation
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 17:46, kcalB wrote:
My favorite by far is Clearly Q&A.

One of my favorite's as well. It was a painful day when I had to sell mine.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On 2012-04-02 20:53, rickreation wrote:
Quote:

One of my favorite's as well. It was a painful day when I had to sell mine.

Just buy another one...

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Plastic-C......t_121772
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:

I agree great bit of work.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Yano
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of Yano
Card calling BCS
faro
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of faro
Spoon bending
hands off
perfect center tear
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2009, Danik1 wrote:
Pegasus Page

Osterlind didn't invent this, he only taught it.
troy16
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of troy16
Watch Routine and Bank Night for me Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Another vote for clearly Q&A , fabulous
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Where is Clearly Q&A found?
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
457 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Where is Clearly Q&A found?

Since it's not Richard's product, my guess would be in another thread...
chado158
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
80 Posts

Profile of chado158
My top 5 favorites:
PCT
Watch Routine
Inside the Fold
Hands Off
Spoon Bend
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Acutally, I think what Mr. Mindbender might have been referering to is "Clearly Mind Reading" which can be found on Disc Two of No Camera TRicks. Since is can be used asa a Q&A routine, I can certainly see where the confusion might have come from.

Richard
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Yes, based in previous posts, I figured it was Ruchards. No Camera tricks is one of the few DVDs of his I don't have. I'll have to look into that!
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3924 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
There's quite a body of work to consider here. Hmmm...

PCT: opened one of the most useful methods anywhere to me. My tear started as a PCT...and evolved into my own method. Still the single best investment I've ever made in mentalism is Osterlind's PCT book. It has some amazing things in it -- but it's also a wealth of information about how to perform ANY CT. I use this in every show...every walkabout.

Mental Ep*c: This was a favorite of mine in the bad old magic days. But, try as I could, there was no way for me to rationalize doing this in my mentalism show -- once I understood what mentalism was. Then Osterlind did ME on his "Without a Net" DVDs. Here was a prop that looked like a chalkboard, didn't reflect stage lights and operated flawlessly. His presentation answered the weaknesses standard ME presentations had in the hands of a mentalist...and offered ideas that were perfectly adaptable to any performer. I close nearly every show with my ME presentation.

Alpha Ment*l: is a watch-the-audience-pee-their-pants quickie routine. I don't do the word divination Osterlind demonstrates because that's too close to something else I'm already doing. But as a cli* line routine...it's perfect.

I looked at a number of different Q and A systems when I was developing my own. There are many out there...but I don't think any are better than ThoughtSc*n for sheer practicality. Again -- the prop looks very innocent -- much like the ME board...but it's been a mainstay in a number of longer shows for me. A dead simple system and a remarkable prop. It has been said that the true value of TS is in the book that comes with it. I tend to agree.

The fifth prop? ThoughtScan Compact. On the surface many think this is just a smaller version of TS. It's not. It's a unique prop with enough differences built in to make it perfect not just for Q and A routines with smaller audiences...but several other effects as well. I can't speak as authoritatively about this because I'm just developing ideas for it myself...and to be honest, I have not taken it into a real show with me yet. But it's on its way...and I look forward to using it for years. In the long run, it MAY be used even more than TS. Time will tell.

You have to give me two more...because, while they aren't props -- both changed the way I think about mentalism. The first: Osterlind's 13 Steps DVD series -- which turned me onto mentalism in the first place. As I said in my lecture at MV -- I'd never seen mentalism presented as MENTALISM before. I'd always thought of it as a subset of magic because I was a magician. I saw an elegant and beautiful presentation that utterly blew me away.

The other resource: The Principals of Mentalism. This book -- along with Cassidy's Fundamentals 2 -- form the cannon of what I consider to be the two most important books on the subject being the modern versions of Annemann and Corinda. Any mentalist -- regardless of experience level -- will do well to devour these books again and again.

Okay. I know that's SEVEN. But what can you do?

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
jremy7
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jremy7
The best effect from Richard Osterlind is... well Richard himself Smile
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
Where is this watch effect everyone keeps talking about?
Ulrich
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Ulrich
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
Where is this watch effect everyone keeps talking about?

In the essential DVD for every mentalist - Mind Mysteries #1
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3364 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Essential is the right word, Ulrich! I learn something new with every viewing.
MatthewSims
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of MatthewSims
I've got so much of his material that I couldn't remember where it was located, or which one everyone was talking about. Ill have to pull it off the shelf and have a look.

Since this post was made in 09, Richard has since published one of the most amazing pieces ever using cards, Hands Off. Without a doubt, it goes on the list for me.
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
31 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
I have only been exploring mentalist for a few months, and this may be far from the right place to say this, but I am finding Richard's Annemann DVD series outstanding value in terms of clarity of presentation, and explanation. I look forward to exploring more of his work! Thanks Richard!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind's top 5 effects (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL