The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind's top 5 effects (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Top 5? Just FIVE? Really?

Nopes, can't do it......

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I agree with mindhunter, just too many to choose from.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
I seldom do more than one or two things I've learned from any single performer or creator (because I prefer to learn from people and then use what I learn to craft my own performances instead of copying theirs), so I can't list five. I will, however, mention that I have enormous respect for Richard's thinking, his attitude, and his personality. He's one of my top three votes for world's most awesome mentalist.

I perform a modified version (won't go into details here) of O.D.D.S., which is one of the best things that ever happened to me and my thinking about mentalism when I was new to it, and The Blindfold Book, though I've never owned his version of the blindfold, and can't even remember how I ended up owning the book (that was a lot of partying ago), is almost totally responsible for my having learned to do blindfold work in any form.

And he's also the only other person besides my first mentor who's ever seemed to know who Faucett Ross was, and that wins a lot of respect points from me. Faucett Ross was a huge influence on me in my early days in magic.

So yeah, I don't do lots and lots of his effects, but I like to think that what I've learned from Richard goes beyond mere effects. He's one of the people who's helped me learn to think like a mentalist, and helped me to be a better entertainer in general.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Love this thread! So much appreciation for one of the best teachers of our art ever and a wonderful man as well. I couldn't possibly choose just five Osterlind routines... There's a little bit of Ridhard in every routine I do.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
276 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Inside the fold
PCT
Watch Routine
Spoon bend
Hands Off

I just received his ForeSign and ThoughtScan Compact in the mail and very excited to add these to my show!
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Dec 30, 2014, george1953 wrote:
I agree with mindhunter, just too many to choose from.

It' like....well, there are whole websites devoted to "Top 5" categories, bazillions of them:
http://top5ofanything.com/

And I take it as an affront that there is NOT a RIchard Osterlind category!....haha

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Bryn, George, Robb and all the rest of you - what an incredible way to end 2014! Thank you so much for your wonderful and gracious comments!

May you all have a wonderful and prosperous New Year and thank you again for making me feel so good!

Richard Smile
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

And thank you too, Richard.

Without you and Bob existing in this world, I'd just be doing tricks with little pieces of paper.

I, for one, feel I owe you more than I could ever repay.

And you're just so freaking nice, too! XD

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
dannywu
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of dannywu
In no particular order:
Card Calling/Miracle Card projection from Mind mysteries 2
Magazine Test MM1
Watch Routine MM1
PCT MM1(The endless possibilities)
Spoon Bend/ Spectator Reads Mind
plus too many others I can't recall at the moment, and thank you so much Richard for the gifts you continue to bring, the knowledge you share in your DVDs are just as valuable if not more than the actual tricks.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1423 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Richard has many, many commercial routines. He has too many good ones to select only five. One of my very favorites is Bank Night. I can't go wrong with this gem.

Happy New Year Richard and to everyone else on the café.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Today I performed the Viewed ESP Prediction from Dynamic Mysteries for the first time publicly.

I really had no idea what an impact it could have on an audience until I tried it. They were all completely blown away. I mean completely.

I was as amazed as they were when I saw their reactions, and I think it's definitely a keeper. I just wish I'd tried it out a lot sooner. I feel like I was cheating myself and everyone else by not bothering with it before. Finally, I have something I can do with those old ESP cards that actually makes them all go "WHOA!"

And it's one of the few routines I've ever done that I didn't feel needed to be changed in some way to make it more suitable. It plays like a miracle right "out of the box".

NebA
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NebA
This isn't an effect, but I just want to say Richard's customer service is great. A few months ago, I emailed him late at night, and he responded early the next morning...which was Thanksgiving! I certainly wasn't expecting that Smile
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
Mortimer, did you do Viewed ESP Prediction from stage or parlor or close up or...??? I've been working on a stage version, not using ESP symbols, but same basic idea...
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

I do most of my stuff fairly close-up. This was in a surrounded performance, for about 20 people.

Richard mentions that it's adaptable for different-sized venues; you can use large ESP cards (or whatever you're using) for it and draw the prediction out on an easel facing half the audience or so, even make your own cards if need be.

A second easel with double-sided tape laid out in the proper positions can hold the cards as they're chosen, and they can be unstuck and re-stuck as they're revealed, even. 'S'what I'd do, anyway. Just put the tape on the board backing, then handle it a bit so anything stuck onto it won't stick permanently, but can be pulled free easily. Laminate your cards, and you're good to go for multiple performances.

It kills. Seriously. Totally worth incorporating into an act, in whatever way possible, as long as it can be done properly. Do it with the right emphasis on the right points, and you will bring the house down.

clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
One that I've always liked that you rarely see mentioned in these threads is Change of Mind
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, clairvoyant wrote:
One that I've always liked that you rarely see mentioned in these threads is Change of Mind

I'm not familiar with it. For all I know I've read it before, and forgot. The stuff I choose to perform is all that tends to stick sometimes... I'm bad about that.

What's it like? Now I'm curious.

clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
It's on Mind Mysteries Volume 3. Essentially, they pick a coin out of their stash and reach into your pocket and pick a coin out of yours. You knew what each of the coins would be, and the year they were minted. Not a mind blowing routine, but it's nice how consistent the two phases are given the method at play, and the gimmick employed is quite a unique solution that I haven't seen elsewhere.
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

I think that could actually be a pretty mind-blowing thing, really.

Sounds cool!

Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I thought the best part of Change of Mind was the fact the predictions are all signed by the spectators. Very nice.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
The problem with Euros depending on where they are from is that they have no date on them.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Richard Osterlind's top 5 effects (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL