The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » About the linking rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ugabuga
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ugabuga
Does anyone know if in the history of magic there has been a linking ring routine with more than one key ring?

I know the original Chinese routines used many many rings, I assume they used more than one key ring…

But more modern routines – has anyone used more than one key?
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Noup! The most similar thing that I heard is about the Presentation of Dai Vernon on the rings, he use a Key, expose it and says that he don't use that kind of ring and go direct to the routine.
Again this is something that I heard, I cant said I Read it in a book...if is true he use two keys, one for the expose and the other for the routine.
Anyone here heard the same rumor?
My best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
George Blake's Perverse Rings (as well as my version and Topper Martyn's) used 2 singles and 2 Keys. Blake's version was pre WWII.
I don't think Vernon used two, he just talked it. Jay Marshall had a comedy bit published using a single ring with two openings.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Ugabuga
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ugabuga
I do a three ring routine with one solid and two keys...

I came up with it and I am very proud of it, just wanted to know if it was done before...
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Doesn't that complicate things needlessly? You have to conceal two breaches. What advantage do you see using the two keys?

David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not difficult at all if you use rings like Joe Porper's locking setup.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 13:49, Pete Biro wrote:
I don't think Vernon used two, he just talked it.

Oooooohhhh, Thanks!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Ugabuga,

Your routine may well be original, but the idea of two or more keys (locking or otherwise) is not new and has been done many times by many people over the years.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Ugabuga
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ugabuga
Any exapmles? I would love to see them...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Most folks that use them don't tip off the fact, so it is often not known.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Richard Ross comes to mind
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2009-12-14 15:57, Pete Biro wrote:
Not difficult at all if you use rings like Joe Porper's locking setup.

I had the exact same idea. I've seen Joe Porper's locking rings: they are just awesome. Pete could confirm this but he is a friend to Joe Porper (so he could be biased) when I don't have that privilege (I know the rings but not the man who makes them)
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Funny this should come up. I have consulted with Joe on a NEW TYPE LOCKER... yesterday he showed it to R. Paul Wilson and a couple of other knowledgable magicians and it blew them away. We are going to shoot a video clip on it next week.

Basically you show two rings openly, say hanging from your thumbs... there is no XXX visible, you just GENLY tap them together and the XXX opens thanks to an incredible inner mechanism and you link them, and with very little effort can now display them openly with nothing showing.

Mr. O ... Joe will be at WMS and I'll make sure you can spend some time with him.
Chris G.
View Profile
New user
Germany
62 Posts

Profile of Chris G.
Eckhard Böttcher (German magician and magic shop owner) published a 4 ring routine with two key rings. That was maybe twenty years ago. He also produced and sold the set of rings.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Well Pete, you are convincing me to go with these. Have you mentioned the diameter yet? Can't seem to find it on Joe's website. I used to have 12" until they were lost in shipment so 13" would be good.
For me, a 15" set would probably be too large. Never owned a locking key (always a wide gap).
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just love George Blake's routine!!!!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I'm going to soon publish Blake's original version, thanks to Martin Breese, and add my extended version and other crazy linking ring stuff in one of my new Series Books.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
According to Houdin's book (check the Learned Pig), he documents sets of rings as consisting of twelve rings. Five singles, two keys, a set of three and a set of two. Since the book was originally published more than a hundred and thirty years ago, my guess is multiple keys in a routine is, in fact, very old.

Bill
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
That's right, Bill, and I'll betchs it was old when Houdin wrote that.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 05:28, Hansel wrote:
Noup! The most similar thing that I heard is about the Presentation of Dai Vernon on the rings, he use a Key, expose it and says that he don't use that kind of ring and go direct to the routine.

Hansel!

Fu Manchu did this on his routine on a very deceptive manner.

Fu's assistant would come carrying the rngs and as if by accident, trip on the floor and let them all fall. Fu would then grab all rings, and as he performed a false count, he would so to say 'verify' if all the rings were ok. In the midle of the count he stumbled upon a key ring and complained "This one's broken! I won't use it!" and so he proceeded to do his 5 (or was it 6? can't recall) Ring Routine.

As for the first post, David Copperfield's Modern Art Museum Act featured a Linking Rings phase which used two locking keys.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » About the linking rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL