The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Christian Conjurer Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Just got my 1st "Christian Conjurer Magazine" (Nov./Dec) and what a wonderful and informational publication it is.

I cannot wait for the next one!

I have been out of the Gospel Magic for years, but thru encouragement from my Pastor and others, and most of all God I have felt lead to get back into Gospel Magic.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
James

You can go to the FCM web-site and read many of them on line. If you want you can purchase a DVD with around 300 Conjurers on it.

Now you will have to join us at the Convention in July.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
James - Welcome to FCM! What type of magic do you perform?
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Kif,

and anyone else interested, Smile

I mostly do Stage Magic (the vast majority is comedic in nature, a few illusions) and Children's Shows, some Corporate (some of which is motivational in nature) and Private events (Parlor Size).

I do not do a lot of close-up. I can, but not my best form of entertainment.

I love Dove & Silk magic and even that act, which I open with for stage work or where conditions are right, has some comedic elements in it. My two special doves "Joy" and "Peace" are named as a reminder of the biblical references and the symbolisms that are associated with doves.

Most of my shows have vent or puppetry involved. Gotta love Vern and the Magic Drawing Board!

Got to thank Steve Axtell for getting me into that area.

I also have a decent background in Pro Audio due to my day job.

ChrisG,

Thanks for pointing out the info. I did notice the DVD in the magazine.

I will have to see if I can make the convention. I always go to The Winter Carnival in Tennessee every year and sometimes I work with Bob Sanders and his silks when he goes to conventions.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
James -

You are wise to incorporate many different things in your program. We (Oz & Wilde) try to do the same. One of our favorites bits is the "story sticks." I don't care what we do "magically" in our show, we always have people come up and say, "really liked the story with those sticks." Even just juggling the balls in a Strat-O-Sphere add a bit of variety to the program.

Hope to see you work someday.

><> J
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
What's the 2010 "surprise" change for The Christian Conjurer magazine Kif? The secret is safe with us, if you know what it is... Going to have pop-up figures of Oz and Wilde?
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
It isn't a surprise change...it is something that is going to happen at the convention...that we are a part of...and no...no pop-up figures of Oz and Wilde...at least not that I know of...Joey and the late night crew...well that's a whole other thing...I don't know what all they have planned.

But thanks for asking.
<BR>
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Another side bar note: I got an unsolicited, unsigned email this morning from some character named "Watchman" how Gospel magic/sorcery was of the Devil, etc.. I responded to him that he should send me no further emails and he might want to learn a little more about what Gospel magic is first ("surprises for the eyes-es") before linking what I do with sorcery, witchcraft, etc.. This unknown author has no clue what "Gospel magicians" do. Maybe that is why some performers even avoid using the term "magic." I told him to consider some solid Bible education instruction first as well and move on... just scary to me that people would tee off like that... hope not too many of you got the same nasty email.
Gene "Oz" Oswald
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Gene
Many of us got the email... magic is a term that many do not like... many avoid, others have no problem or issue with it... we all just do our best... there are many very closed minded people out there... and then again there are some very well-intentioned people that think they are doing HIS work... we just need to pray for each other.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
The FCM Code of Ethics in the latest magazine has generated lots of discussion in the UK. How are things in the USA and Canada about this?
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
The FCM Code of Ethics is published on page 21 of the latest/newest Jan-Feb 2010 "The Voice of FCM" (formerly The Christian Conjurer Magazine). I personally very much like and approve of the Code of Ethics- except #5--- as I cannot strive for excellence in make-up as I don't wear any (or have any for that matter). I may have some dusting powder around someplace, who knows. Wardrobe and makeup can be kind of subjective. Also unclear is the "proper guidelines" (left undefined) in #9. It is difficult to write a complete Code of Ethics for magicians or any other performance art- my paid profession (attorney) has pages and pages of ethics rules and then seminars and written opinions on what those mean. I, for example, rarely charge for my programs- I am an amateur and do it as part of "ministry"- I am not intentionally aware of doing this as an "under-cut" of a paid performer. So keep that in mind- it is very, very, very difficult writing a very general "Code of Ethics" that is to everyone's satisfaction--- without going on and on and on with lots of specifics. So this short Code has a good spirit/ring/basic attempt to it that I think is ok. Yes, we should have ethics in what we do, has to be some kind of common ground. That's my 2 cents worth of personal opinion (undercutting your nickel's worth).
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2009-12-19 09:29, MagicBus wrote:
Another side bar note: I got an unsolicited, unsigned email this morning from some character named "Watchman" how Gospel magic/sorcery was of the Devil, etc.. I responded to him that he should send me no further emails and he might want to learn a little more about what Gospel magic is first ("surprises for the eyes-es") before linking what I do with sorcery, witchcraft, etc.. This unknown author has no clue what "Gospel magicians" do. Maybe that is why some performers even avoid using the term "magic." I told him to consider some solid Bible education instruction first as well and move on... just scary to me that people would tee off like that... hope not too many of you got the same nasty email.

Instead of teeing off back at him with the same attitude, perhaps you could of explained to him what you personally believe Gospel Magic is about. Might of been a good chance to give him some solid bible educational instructions rather than just telling him to move on.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wasn't that way at all, you did not see his email or my response. Wish you had seen the unsigned unsolicited email- nasty, nasty, nasty, pages of ridiculous hideous stuff. May have been a joke actually, yet another person jerking our collective Gospel magic chains.

My response email pointed him to a couple of good resources including the FCM page (which you of course assumed I was not capable of doing, evil me). Never to deprive one of an opportunity, I searched my email bank but can't find the original email, my computer does not keep deleted emails that far back. I wanted to forward it to you so you could respond any way that you'd like to this gent. I know Oz and Wilde and a lot of other FCM folks got the email as well, you might ask them for it and you can have a go with him.

Gospel Dan, don't mean to be too paranoid here, I did not "tee off" on him "with the same attitude" and instead referred him to some solid Biblical sites - try not to always think the worse of everything I post here and how I blew it, ok? Your posting made me feel more like dirt than what I got from the uni-webber. This guy was saying we were all in league with the devil and much worse (no kidding), all going to Hades, etc., so please give me a judgmental break/benefit of the doubt if you would. Probably not a reasonable intellectual.

I guess I need to proof my postings in the future better or be perceived by some fellow FCMer as some uncaring legalist or something. I give up... go ahead and tee off on me now, we've got broad fairways here in Michigan and can take it squarely before the ball goes into the rough. Feel feel to exercise your "good chance" now and get the email from Wilde or whoever else may have gotten it and do whatever you want with it- and a better job than an obviously insensitive hacker like me. Picky, Picky Picky (Pat Paulson).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Whoops, I spelled Pat Paulsen's name wrong. It's Paulsen. Mr. Paulsen ran for President of the U.S. every four years- ran and owned the domed theatre attached to downtown Park Place Hotel in Traverse City, Michigan. So as to my prior posting, exxcccuusse meeee (Steve Martin, magician).
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wonder if we put an ad or something in The Voice of FCM if we'd get more FCM posters in this area on The Magic Café'. I would love to see that and see what else is brewing out there amongst the silent Gospel magish majority...
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
You're right I didn't see the email or your response back to him. What I did see and read was your post here in regards to it.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2009-12-19 09:29, MagicBus wrote:

Wow! First off, I can't understand why you feel a need to get so over defensive.

If it wasn't that way at all, then why did you post what you posted? You have to admit that your post does come off as insensitive.

Your statement, "I told him to consider some solid Bible education instruction first as well and move on..." is a lot different than, "My response email pointed him to a couple of good resources including the FCM page". And, "and instead referred him to some solid Biblical sites".

The rest of your reply is too bizare for me to respond to. I am clueless as to why you would say some of the things you say.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Whoops, I ran out of my pile of rocks. LOL from Clueless.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Nah, the above is not fair Gospel Dan. Sarcasm is a no-no and I apologize.

The Bible instructs us to think what is best of fellow believers. Your email posting hurt my feelings- you never read the nasty email many of us received or my response to it. It was a ranting, raving, page after page email diatribe linking Gospel magicians with witchcraft, complete with page after page of Scripture references. It in no uncertain terms condemned me/us amd quoted Scripture totally out of context and valid interpetation.

Instead, you questioned what I had done in my response (and yes, I don't want to be on that guy's address book), and without sending me a private message, responded publically here that I had blown an evangelistic opportunity. Is that clear enough?

If you want to encourage other possible posters in this area, it would be nice not to have our comments critically second guessed, such as instructing me what I "could have done" better (which I did not ask for), improve my "attitude", etc. Give me a break, literally, please give me the benefit of the doubt.

I hope that this adequately explains what I was trying to say, and it is not still bizarre or clueless to you. OK? Once again, I find myself treading down another unwanted rabbit trail that neither promotes, advances, or discusses the FCM or Gospel magic. Instead I feel like I just got a stone thrown at me from someone "on my side." I really did feel mildly verbally whacked at or at least semi-slammed by a fellow poster. Seems to happen quite often on The Café" such as when the SCAM convention planners of SC were fighting with the Myrtle Beach magic crowd recently on The Café'. Just sad.

I would hope we Christians would get above this, particularly in this FCM area, but once again we may/seem to have poked at the sliver in someone else's eye, myself included being equally guilty of same. I dread typing this, but clarification apparently was needed. I will try to get back to work, I work on various projects on my computer throughout the evening and keep the Café' on my split screen. Maybe it's time to put this puppy to bed.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
The thing is MagicBus, I am neither judging you or condeming you. Many non christians visit this forum, and we already give them enough to be critical of that we don't need to give them more ammunition to shoot in our faces.

I too have said things that was later brought to my attention was either inapropriate, or not very christian like. Rather than finding a way to justify myself, or reliterate my comments, I realized I was wrong and apologized for how my comments were perceived.

I was glad that another brother was pro active and caring enough to say something to me. Better a brother in the Lord than someone who is not a believer. I have had non believers call me on some stuff that I've said, and I felt ashamed of myself for it.

When Terry Owens corrected me one time, I was grateful because I know he was leting me know as a brother in the Lord. I knew he meant well by it, and I didn't think he was out to get me, or boost himself up. A few non believers who have caught me at my worst milked it for everything it was worth. Smile

I am definitely not one to be first to pick up a stone. Smile

In all honesty, I would expect nothing less from you as well. I would hope that if I ever say anything that may be construed as un-christian like you'd let me know.

However, I do apologize that my intentions were not clear right from the start, obviously causing you more grief than what was deserved.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Sorry too, I am very thin skinned and overly defensive, just ask my wife. So I very much appreciate your gracious response. Carry on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Christian Conjurer Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL