The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
OK, so I own a VSM. To be honest the thing has been relatively unreliable since I bought it. Lately however it has been COMPLETELY temperamental.

I've started to try an airclick but it's SO susceptible to interference that it's next to useless.

So, tonight I arrived at a BIG ticket gig, could have led to a lot more work too. Tried the ariclick...nada. Plugged in the VSM and tested it a few times...not bad. Showtime arrives and the VSM goes to PIECES. Starting, stopping, not pausing, not playing, you name it! Arrrrrrrrrgh!

I am SO frustrated with these bl**dy remote sound systems.

Somebody PLEASE invent something that WORKS!!!!!!!!

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go and have several beers and then lie awake for most of the night re-living the horror of that gig.
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Billy...do a search for the Ijet remote for an Ipod. I've been using it for quite a while and it is very reliable. There are many post with great tips about this topic...including using a silent track in between each piece of music...very important.

Rich B.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Thanks Rich.

Actually I have bought a Ijet from ebay and as soon as it arrives I'll be giving it a go.

I just can't believe that we can put a man on the Moon, but when it comes to play/pause we got nothin'!

Anyway, I'll give this Ijet a go....fingers crossed.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Why havnt you looked at an MP3 Tech? Our ultra tech which is basically an MP3 Tech with a computer interface works perfectly.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I'll second the MP3 tech. Never had a problem and extremely easy to program and use. Previously I had a Mini Tech and had the same good fortune with it. Used it for and entire summer in 90 degree heat 7 days a week for 156 shows with out incident.

John

p.s. tip: get a PK ring to control the remote instead of the ankle switch.
Colin Uk
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Colin Uk
Somebody PLEASE invent something that WORKS!!!!!!!!

They have it called a MP3 Tech.

Colin
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Thanks for the advice guys.

Look, I don't mind spending a buck, in fact just my headset mic and receiver cost several thousand. However, paying $1500.00US for a remote MP3 player seems like a rip off, and that is something I find hard to swallow.

I know, I know... I'm complaining about gear being unreliable and if I want something good etc. etc. As I said I don't mind paying the bucks when they're warranted but I feel the price of this is ridiculous for what it is.

I could go to night school, learn how to build my own, source the parts and construct it for less. In fact that's what I may do.

Thanks to those who PM'd me, your advice is truly appreciated.

:) Smile Smile
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Billy,

That's too bad you feel that way. My good pal said the same thing about it not being "worth" it, and I only have the MP3 Tech, not the Ultra Tech. But when we say worth it, are we talking about the components and technology? How about being worth it for the peace of mind you're going to have using it? The reliability of the device. What's that worth? I bought my first (mini tech) for 1250 US and with the exchange rate and shipping at the time it cost nearly 2000 Cnd.... a lot. But I can tell you that it was money very well spent indeed. No worries and to me that's worth the expense. Just a couple of things to think about.

Goodluck in your search,

John
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
"So, tonight I arrived at a BIG ticket gig, could have led to a lot more work too..."

Why not higher an audio technician for an important gig like this one? I understand the one man show idea, in fact I'm working on this for myself. But on a "BIG ticket gig" I would pay someone a couple hundred bucks to run my sound for me. Why risk it? Especially if you could have booked a lot more work from it!

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Billy,
Have you checked out Cue Control by Axel Hecklau.
If you're interested in looking at it, PM me.

John, your idea about the PK ring is very interesting.
I'd like to hear more.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Frank,
I've velcro'ed the "ankle" transmitter to a piece of cardboard. Think 3 x 5 size with the transmitter facing outward at the bottom edge. I place this in my left pants pocket again with the transmitter facing outward...the cardboard keeps the transmitter in the correct position. I wear a PK ring on my left ring finger. It's a simple matter of touching my hand to my pocket area and the music starts. Most of my cues play to the end and with the new MP3 tech the next song cues automatically. If I need to fade the current track it's an easy matter to push the fade button thru my pants pockets. I have two other transmitters that I keep on my table stage left and right in case I need to use them if my left hand is "busy". If you'd a photo or two PM me.

John
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
John,
I really like your idea of using a PK ring. It is a very good idea and one that I will try.

Ray
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
My hands frequently go in and around my pant's pockets, I'd be afraid of accidently setting off the MP3 with a PK ring. So, I simply stuck a one inch square of velcro to the back of the fob control, another piece of velcro to the front leg part of a pair of boxer shorts. With pants on the fob control is situated just below the pant pocket. Being dress pants button control is easy through the relatively thin material. The fob is also upside down, which I personally prefer.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
That's a great idea as well. I also "push" thru the pants material when I want to fade the track. The PK ring has to almost touch the front of the remote before it will set it off and for about a second or two. I think both the above suggestions are better than the ankle switch though.

John
berrysr
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of berrysr
You should take a look at DigiSelect. It does everything that the MP3 tech does and only cost between $300 - $400. I have used it for a year now with out any issues and they just keep improving it every few months. It is worth a look at least. they have a 15day free trial.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Now that I think about it you could use a PK Wand too if a PK ring would interfere with any metalica props, like rings, etc.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
I have used VSM for over 5 years and never had a problem with it. I'm such a dinosaur that I still use the mini disc player with it. Remote has always been reliable in all sized venues, with wireless mics around, etc. The receiver should always be at least 18 inches above the ground and away from power strips and other high-output electrical devices (don't set it directly on top of an amplifier or sound board, for example) to prevent signal interference. But then all of this is in the instruction booklet.
Kelly Duro has always been great abut any service or questions.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I'm with David...I haven't had any issues with the 7.5 unit. I use the mini disk player with it as well. Follow the guidelines and it's worked like a champ for over 5 years....

Ken
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7392 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Mine works as well. I did have a frustrating show one time like described above. I realized later I had it setting by the PA. That causes major problems.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
Kelly Duro has always been great abut any service or questions.

Is he still around? I thought the company ran into some financial difficulties.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL