The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Book Printing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
I know this isn't a printing forum, but it seems that the people here are DIY types.....
I'm about done with a book on a friend of mine, a tattooer, who will be tattooing 50 years next summer. I'd like to print 50 very nice hardcover books, and 50 softcover books, maybe more to follow if it does well. The book is 8.5 x 11, color, text and photos/illustrations.
From my limited knowledge of the printing industry,it looks as tho digital would be the way to go, offset of such a small number would be stupid as far as cost per unit.
I guess my question is if anyone knows of a quality place to have printing done, and if digital printing is as good as "they" say?
Thanks. J
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Doug Higley would probably have some great info on that. As he published some wonderful books that can be found here

http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/Scary.html
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
You may want to check http://www.blurb.com/ I've order a book from them at is was as good as what you would buy in the regular book stores. But remember the axiom "garbage in garbage out" so make sure your photos are super.

Michael
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I demand the BEST...so,

For Books predom TEXT, like Scary dark Rides and Out Of The Dust, I use LuLu.com. There are many houses that do it but LuLu is the Cadillac and the results are beyond Professional...perfection. I've tried a numerous others, they're not even close. Also ease of use is highly rated. I oder 25 at a time for a better price.

As to color photos, I've tried more than a few and only ONE has given me the results I was looking for for my hard cover 'Museum: Mysteria'. Again, if you want the best go to Inkubook.com The paper is especially high quality silk.
Photo books can be pricey as hell expecially the hard cover versions. Be prepared for sticker shock no matter where you look. With any print on demand house your going to have to charge more than you want to unless you have a bundle and can order a huge number of books at a time. With Museum: Mysteria I can only afford 10 at a time, so the price is higher but the quality is such that it's worth it.
I don't expect to sell tons of these books (Though I'd love to!!!) so 10 at a time works for me. You can also EASILY make your hard Cover book SOFT COVER with a simple click (or vice versa).

And Danny, thank you very much for the kind words. Smile I really try my best.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd recommend Lulu.com as well.

Mark. Smile
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
Thank you for the help!
My only problem is that the book has text as well as photos/illustration on every page. Do you think Lulu would be good for this? Inkubook seems like its just pics?
I'm also looking locally, to try and support local businesses, and save on shipping.
Thanks! J
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Lulu can handle pictures, photos and text.

Mark.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Inkubook can be text with the photos as well.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
BigJosh
View Profile
New user
West Coast
35 Posts

Profile of BigJosh
The inkubook site looks great, I got a hold of them, and the 8.5 x 11 hardcovers only go up to 120 pages max, and my book is 181 pages...maybe I'll do lulu if one of these local company's fail get back to me...
thanks. J
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Book Printing? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL