The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Annihilation Cameron Francis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jordanjohnson
View Profile
Special user
Hiding in the Shadows
555 Posts

Profile of jordanjohnson
Annhilation

I received this from Mr. Francis a few days ago. This effect comes in PDF format that is put together nicely and is very easy to read and understand. Now to the nitty gritty.

Effect:
The magician introduces a deck of cards that he has made a prediction in earlier. A card is freely selected (really! no force) by the spectator and placed face down without either the magician or spectator looking at it's face. The magician then runs through the deck and removes two cards that one will represent the suit and the other the value of the face down card. Let's say the cards he (or her for you female conjurers) removes are the five of diamonds and queen of spades so this means the selected card could be either the five of spades or queen of diamonds. The selected card is turned over and found to be neither prediction,  let's say it's the eight of clubs. The prediction seems to have gone terribly wrong until the magician turns over the two prediction cards to reveal an 8  drawn on the back of one and a club on the back of the other. Bringing the effect to a successful end and making you the magician master of the universe and fame and fortune will come flowing your way!

Ok, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration but not by much because this is a pretty slick effect Cameron has come up with. Now this is based of his previous effect "Red Hot Prediction" which is the gimmicked version of this effect and which I do not own or know so I can't base if this un-gimmicked version is better or worse than the gimmicked version. 

To be able to perform this effect you will need a specially prepared deck that is just for performing this effect. Now at first I was put off with this because of the fact you have to carry this extra deck and find a way to justify a way to bring it out and use it that won't lead spectators to think it is a deck of "trick" cards. Cameron addresses a way to justify it's use and I think it's simple yet effective and makes complete sense. As for making the deck it's very simple and can be done in a matter of minutes and once prepared you are good to go until you wear the cards out from performing this.

As for the method, it's pretty simple and easy to learn. As long as you are familiar with a principle that the effect requires you will be able to perform this after a few practices, and for those of you who aren't familiar with the principle used Cameron goes through the details and explanation of it and it's very easy to pick up on and learn. As I recall there are hardly any sleights involved which further make this effect a real knockout since it's easy to perform yet has hard hitting impact power.

Another big plus is the fact that the reset is ten seconds tops. This is one of those effects that I will start using in my walk around and restaurant work because not too many effects are good and have quick resets but this has both. Also once it's reset it can be performed again with another freely selected card and the outcome is different everytime.

So all in all this is a great effect that is powerful enough to be a closer to a set and can be used in all types of performing situations. I've been in a car for 11 hours headed to New Mexico to go skiing with family for the holidays and I made my deck last night and am so ready to whip this puppy out and really confuse and perplex my family and friends this week. If I understand right this is set to be released December 26th and this would be a great addition to anyones effects and a great effect to spend your holiday money you get for Christmas. 

Two thumb tips way up Cameron!

JJ
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Just thought I throw in my thoughts as well:

Annihilation by Cameron Francis

Card Magic |Easy |.PDF |9 Pages Long |http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_wsYFdXFE

As explained above, you get a 9 page .pdf explaining 'Anniliation', which was based on another one of Cameron's effect.

The effect is as follows: The magician states that a prediction was made earlier in the deck. A card is FREELY selected by the spectator and placed face-down, but is not seen by the magician, nor the spectator. The magician runs through the deck and removes two playing cards that will tell him what the selected playing card may be. But as the magician states what the card may be, the card is turned over and it seems experiment has failed...until, the two playing cards are turned over and correctly states the selected card; one card bearing the value, the other the symbol.

Cameron simply breaks down all the required steps; from prepping the deck, to performing the effect. and to resetting the effect.

Everything is easy to follow along and understandable; leaving you with no questions asked.

The effect uses a principle in magic, but Cameron here, really stepped it up a notch.

The effect is a powerful little gem that will have your spectators questioning their religion, ok, maybe not, but it will have them thinking, "What the ...."-I am personally a fan of 'prediction effects', as well, so this suits me well.

Do I see myself using this, though? Heck yes, it's simple, direct and powerful in the eyes of the spectators. Also, the handling is so smooth and everything is super fair and clean...the deck is also shown as clean as a whistle!

Not really difficult at all! Within a few hours of practice, or maybe less, you should have this down in no time.

2 thumbs up from me, Cameron!
Guillotine+ASYLUM
KingOfDiamonds
View Profile
Elite user
Paris
424 Posts

Profile of KingOfDiamonds
Another proof that many principles and subtleties put together - instead of complex sleights - may result in a great trick. It makes me think of a more practical version of "Brain Sell" by Peter Duffie.
FREE e-book OVER MAX: https://www.lybrary.com/over-max-p-923221.html?affid=3322 My version of Maven/Goldstein's "Double Overcut". No full-deck setup. Basically impromptu.

Other best-sellers e-books available at: http://www.lybrary.com/rapha%C3%83%C2%ABl-czaja-m-534.html?affid=3322

My Best Card Magic 2008-2016 (PDF) EXCLUSIVELY available here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10111
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks, guys for the kind words! Just to clear one thing up, the reset is instant. I just put the cards back in the deck in front of the spectators and I'm ready to go again.

Jordan is right, I do treat the deck as a "special" object so I don't have to worry about deck switches. The only way I justify using prepared decks is if I can ring them in openly.

Here is a new demo for the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLuxxjfQAg

As a magician, you may look at this effect and think of a few different ways to accomplish it. But I think I've found the most efficient way as you have to do zero work. It's completely automatic! Plus the impact on a lay person is phenomenal.

Keep in mind also that the prediction cards can have different colored backs for a more striking contrast.
james_thecanadian_magician
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of james_thecanadian_magician
Just wanted to add something.

I don't have this, so I don't know if the deck can be examined or not. But it seems that the display of the cards at the end, make it seem quite legitimate.

Plus if you close with this, then of course you would just put the deck away.

Seems like a cool effect.
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1230 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I was fortunate enough to receive a sneak peek at this latest creation by Cameron. I told him I thought it was excellent and exactly as advertised.

I admit that I have not put together the deck yet - the holidays steal your time - but my plan is to have it ready for a trip I plan to California later this month where my friends there always ask for my latest and greatest.

I suspect this will be my new pet.

It's already been pointed out that you have to devote a deck to it but when I was doing restaurant work it wasn't unusual for me to have three decks handy; a worker, invisible deck for those times I lost my pinky break and one for what ever new I was working on.

Looking forward to taking this one out for a test drive.

Thanks Cameron.
Jaybs
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of Jaybs
I was also one of the lucky ones that was able to get a copy of Annihilation from Cameron to review. I made my deck on Saturday and tried it at my restaurant gig tonight, using the presentation described by Mr. Francis in the Ebook. The effect was very well received by the audience, and I think I might be swapping out the invisible deck that I usually carry with me for an Annihilation deck.

As Jordan mentions in his review, you will have to devote one deck to perform Annihilation. The instructions are very clear and detailed, so creating one should be fairly simple. Creating my first Annihilation deck took less than 15 min. If you own Darwin Ortiz's "At the Card Table," there is a section in that book which could save you some time during the preparation process.

Once you've made the deck, the effect is very easy to perform. No knuckle busting sleights are required to perform Annihilation, so this is well within reach of the amateur card magician. My reset time after each performance was less than 10 seconds, so this is ideal for table hopping/restaurant performers.

The only downside that I see to Annihilation is that the deck cannot be handed out for inspection before or after the effect, unless you perform a deck switch. However, similar to the invisible deck, this really is not necessary if you present it as a prediction type effect, which Cameron recommends.

Overall, this is a great effect and one that I will certainly use. If you're looking for an easy, powerful, "magician in trouble" type of effect, Annihilation would be something worth adding to your arsenal.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

Those who received an advanced copy, I just sent all of you an updated version which details an alternate handing which I think a lot of you will like even more than the original!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Cameron's material is always well thought-out and very strong and practical. I have never been disappointed with an item bearing his name. He is one of a handful of guys out there that actually perform the stuff they sell, in the real world, for real people. I just don't think you can go wrong buying any of his items.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Cameron this is one of your best work To date
loved it short and sweet
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen! Means a lot.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
803 Posts

Profile of magico
I am looking forward to the release as I already have a couple of changes I am going to make.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6581 Posts

As I told Cameron via email, I personally like the first version best, as it just seems more "organic" to me. It's a strong effect. I put it together and did it for my wife, explaining that I hadn't really learned it well enough to perform yet, but just wanted her impression.

When she turned over her selected card, she jokingly said, "You suck!", knowing something must be coming. I played it up like I'd really messed up, and like she'd hurt my feelings, because I'd told her it was brand new and not ready yet. She instantly softened and got all apologetic and started to console me--then I turned over the prediction cards. She just lost it, laughing and smacking me for teasing her. In short, she loved it! She was very disappointed to hear it wasn't my routine...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

Ha, ha. That's great, Scott... Great... Scott... Great Scott! hey, there's a cool name! You can use it if you want... long as I get credit... Smile

Yeah, it passed the "wife test" for me, too. When she just stares down at the cards in complete silence and then says, "Okay, that was cool," I know I'm onto something good! Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

Magico, please let me know your variations after you play around with it. I'm always curious to hear other people's ideas!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6581 Posts

Just did a full review of this on my blog. If you're interested in reading it (and to save me the time of copying it here) go to http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com/2009/12/......cis.html
My Lybrary Page
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
803 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 19:28, Cameron Francis wrote:
Magico, please let me know your variations after you play around with it. I'm always curious to hear other people's ideas!

Sent you a PM
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

It's now up for sale.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3017 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Picked this up this morning and played with it for 15 minutes and amused myself a few times. This is a geat effect. It will work for a beginner or a pro. I am already going to perform this later on this afternoon. Its a quick visual surprising climax. As stated in the ads and as seen in the video, what you read and what you see is what you get. No gimmicks,no duplicates,no tapes,no rough and smooth no nothing. Just a solid magical effect that you will use and do.I am happy with this purchase.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6899 Posts

Thank you, Rizzo! And thanks to all of you who have ordered so far! I hope you are all getting great use out of it. And, please, if you have any further ideas, let me know!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Annihilation Cameron Francis (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL