The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic Cutting Out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
One of my favorite sound systems (I have about five or six) is the Pyle Pro PWMA-120. I love the convenience of it of this battery operated system with the built in wireless mic, and the sound is good when playing music. However, the one thing I don't like is the mic cutting out occasionally during my show. It doesn't happen during a song, but when I'm in the middle of a routine, and just talking to the audience, the mic will stop working for about two or three seconds, and then kick back in again.

I thought it might be because I'm speaking too loud, and that the system might have had a safety feature to prevent the speakers from being blown, but the same thing happens when I've got the volume turned down.

I liked the system so much, that I even ordered a second one, thinking the first one was defective. But the same thing happens with the second one as well.

The mic I use is the headset that came with the system. I don't use the handheld.

I've got the antenna up, and volume set at different levels during various shows (to test it), and it still happens.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?

Brian
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Look at the light that shows the receiver is getting a signal while you're talking and see if the light goes off when you lose the audio. If it does go off, that means there's a transmission problem. If the light is still on and there's no audio, it's probably a problem with the actual mic element itself. There are a couple other little hints to check, but that's a starting place.

Steve
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
The problem I have is that I've been unable to duplicate it at home.

While I'm at the show, the amplifier is behind my backdrop, so I can't see it. Then again, if the system was out in front of me during a show, the cutting out happens so unexpectedly, that by the time I would even think of looking at the system, it's working again.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Brian,

It's very likely that you are experiencing interference with the radio transmission from the mic. Any wireless mic can have interference with the transmission. That's why higher end mics are "frequency agile," which means you can change their frequency to avoid interference. My Shure system will automatically find a channel with the least amount of interference at the push of a button.

The Pyle PMWA-120 uses a VHF wireless system. In past years, UHF systems were recommended because their was less likelihood of interference. I don't know if that is still true because of the proliferation of cell phones and other devices that use radio frequencies but I do know that only the VHF system gave me trouble last week when I was running sound for a play. There were 8 UHF systems and 1 VHF system and the VHF mic cut out regularly when none of the others did.

A diversity system will help avoid dropouts by two separate antennas for reception. The system automatically switches between each antenna to pick up the strongest signal.

Unfortunately, all I've done is describe what causes it and not how to fix it with your microphone. I'm not sure how you can improve this with your Pyle. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will give you an idea of how to improve the reception.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks Michael. At least it gives me some idea as to what might be happening.

Brian
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Brian, you said that the cutouts only occur during a show, and that the amp (receiver) is behind a backdrop during your show. Does your backdrop have any metallic threads in it that might interfere with the transmission of the signal?

And is there a clear line of sight between the mic transmitter and the receiver? SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Backdrop shouldn't be a problem, as I've used it at shows when I didn't use the backdrop.

I tested it at home this afternoon, with the system right next to me. It cut out once, but only for a second. I'll keep using it for my smaller shows, and use my Mackie with my Shure mic set up with it for my bigger shows.

Brian
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I was thinking along the lines Seth did. If there is ANYTHING between you and your antenna, that might be causing the problem. When you walk around, does something get in between? Maybe that's where the problem is.

Mark.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Gremlins!

Dip circuit cutting in
Feedback protector cutting in
mike cord or antenna cord on wireless parts shorting on movement

but I vote for gremlins - every time.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Battery contacts?
Cellphone interference?
Gremlins on cellphones?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
One more thought -- are you using rechargeable batteries in your body pack?

My understanding is that they don't provide the same amperage as a regular battery of the same voltage. That is, a rechargeable AA battery isn't as "strong" as a regular AA battery, even when fully charged. I seem to recall that a couple of PA manufacturers do not recommend using rechargeable batteries in wireless transmitters (but it's OK to have a rechargeable battery powering the amplifier/receiver itself, that's a different situation).

Also, some body packs often have a small adjustment screw somewhere, to adjust the strength of the outgoing signal (it's often located in or near the battery compartment). If you have such an adjustment on your unit, you might try making sure the screw is in the middle of its travel, or playing around with it a bit. A quarter-turn one way or the other might be very beneficial! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Thanks for the tips, gentlemen.

I also use a Happy Amp occasionally, with the same setup and location as the Pyle Pro, and have had no problems (although I prefer the Pyle Pro). I just find it too "coincidental" that the same thing happens on both of my Pyle Pro units.

I don't use rechargeable batteries, but I will check the adjustable screw.

I'm beginning to think that Gregg is the closest to the real problem -- Gremlins! Smile

Brian
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Maybe, the gain control was accidentally reset. I suppose it could happen. That could be the reason that it's hard to duplicate the cut-outs at home - performers tend to speak louder at gigs than at home. When I had a problem with my Gemini mike, it was the gain that caused it. It was turned up too high.
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
I had this happen with my shure wireless mic, and it turned out to be that the wires going into the male plug that goes into the transmitter had broken, and when I moved a certian way, it cut out. It didn't happen all the time, but it drove me nuts for quite a while. Have it checked out by a professional, it's worth it just to stop the aggrivation.
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Good idea, Eric. Thanks.
berrysr
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of berrysr
I have 4 differnet wireless systems I use at my church. The three cheaper systems have always worked flawlessly but recently have started dropping out when there is any distance between the mic and transmitter. During testing when the units are side by side they work great. I am 90% sure this is do to frequesncy interference and feel it will continue to get worse as more and more frequencies are put to use
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
My mic cutting out was a short in the antenna.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On 2009-12-28 09:54, berrysr wrote: I am 90% sure this is do to frequesncy interference and feel it will continue to get worse as more and more frequencies are put to use

I agree. I still think it has do with interference because you had it happen with two different Pyle PA's. It would seem to be highly unlikely that both Pyle PA's would have a loose wire or connection.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If this is not a true diversity system, then the problem is with the equipment. From the photos and specs I have seen of it, it does appear to be one; however, at that price, you can't expect the same quality you get out of a really good system.

If you are having the same problem with two identical systems, there are only a couple of conclusions that can be drawn. One is that the system is junk. The other is that there may be a flaw in your setup.

This system probably requires that you be fairly close to it. It says in the specs that it has an operating range of 100 ft. I think that 2/3 of that may be fictitious. It also may be line of sight.

The orientation of the antennas may be one of the problems. Set them so that they are pointing at a 45 degree angle to the ground, in opposite directions.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
My wireless mic kept cutting out due to a very very small gap between the battery and contacts. It frustrated my for a long time before I finally figured it out. I found it out by testing it with the battery cover off as the mic was cutting out. I simply slid the battery to one side and it started up. I solved the problem by sliding in a small piece of cardboard which pushed the battery over and kept contact. Never had a problem with it since.

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Mic Cutting Out (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL