The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thoughts on Wizard DarK G2 Style Band PK Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I see WizardFX released a new PK ring.

They call it the Wizard DARK Ring.

Basically it is a black PK Ring instead of the silver or gold bands.

My question to all of you is, do you think the color black will lend more towards a suspect ring vs the old colors of gold or silver that somewhat blend in as a natural ring to laypeople.

Maybe it's just that Im an old fart and not hip to all the new fashion and a black ring would be seen as innocent among younger folk...

Granted, that proper presentation, technique, and layering can hide anything - even a neon green thumbtip...

Your thoughts?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I think it's a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I tend to agree with Jim. Unless I'm an old fart too that isn't aware of the new style. For me, I'm married so a wedding band is perfect.

Mike Smile
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
I am in the age and demographic where I don't wear a wedding ring but a black ring looks just as out of place.

my hope is that someone will make a classy wooden walnut look PK ring. (hint hint outlaw effects!)

The guys at world magic shop who made this new black ring are great as they have a lower exchange price for replacement PK rings - in case they break.
But it wouldn't suit me.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
That is my consensus as well - a black ring would look suspect. Especially since most laypeople associate the color of a magnet as black.

I think what would be more idea is some type of silver or gold ornate ring - with engraving design and maybe inset gem. Or something like one of the mens titanium bands with magnets worked into it as an inlay.

I would gladly pay for a decent quality PK ring where it is a stainless steel or titanium band with an inlay ... Quality is worth extra $ any time!

My issue with most PK rings is that they are CHEAP. They look cheap, they are made cheap. Even the wedding band ones look a little odd.

I have shifted to using an embedded disc magnet on my skin. As gross as it will sound, I got a callous on my hand from some yard work and cut a small slit in it since it was basically dead skin and pushed a small cylinder magnet in... it worked like a champ!!

Bad part is now the callous is gone... so I either do self surgey or go back to the tiny bandaid approach I used.

hmmm.. a surgical tissue friendly coating on a disc magnet... hahah now that is suffering for the art! LOL As crazy as it sounds, I know a few magicians that have gone to that extent.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Is a not too good idea, but many young magicians little criss angels wears this kind of things...so for the character or personality that they have this kind of ring would fit better!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
I always wear many rings, and sometimes a black band one, so it wouldn't look as fishy for me.

Finding a PK Ring that suits your style isn't all about just performing, but about making it look like just another ring.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
chriswebbmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of chriswebbmagic
Hey guys,
just looking around the Café and saw this thread.

I was lucky enough to been given one of these rings to test and trial about 5 months ago.
Also the great thing is the ring does not look metal as of the black layer so does not come to the point of it looking like a magnet.

P.K ring has many applications and for me to wear this on me all the time and not have people think its a magnet is a huge help.

And please remember guys that all P.K rings have a Guarantee on them.

Hope this helps guys and have a great holiday this year.

Chris Webb
www.ChrisWebbVault.com

Creator of: Coffee Shot, Flash, Fickle and RE.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Quote:
On 2009-12-22 21:11, mmreed wrote:
I think what would be more idea is some type of silver or gold ornate ring - with engraving design and maybe inset gem. Or something like one of the mens titanium bands with magnets worked into it as an inlay.

I would gladly pay for a decent quality PK ring where it is a stainless steel or titanium band with an inlay ... Quality is worth extra $ any time!

Agreed. I don't think the black is necessarily suspect (all depends on what else the performer is wearing). Personally, I sometimes wear suits that would go well with the black, sometimes silver, sometimes gold, and I'd want to make sure my ring fits in with whatever suit I'm wearing at the time.

But for the silver and gold, I really don't like the ones on the market today. They look like cheap wedding bands. 1) I don't much care for cheap jewelry; 2) I'm not married.

I would LOVE silver and gold rings like you've described, that don't look like wedding bands, and are made with high quality materials and craftsmanship.

I've finally decided to go with the black for now (for a variety of reasons) and see how much I like working with it (because honestly, I've disliked them enough so far that I haven't bought one yet). If I find it as much a pleasure to work with as I think I might, I may look into having some expensive ones custom made to my own design. And to be quite honest, I have reasons for wanting some custom ones anyway that have nothing to do with my thoughts on what the marketed ones look like and everything to do with other types of effects I may want to do with a ring.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of aitchy
punx469
View Profile
New user
New England
46 Posts

Profile of punx469
I think they are great looking and shouldn't draw any unwanted attention. I just got married in 08 and I looked at a variety of rings and wedding bands, there are a ton of rings made out of tungsten and other metals that look black I think they look great, I'm glad they are starting to bring out more of a variety of styles.
Proxy
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of Proxy
Quote:
On 2009-12-26 13:53, aitchy wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Magician-PK-Ring-C......b846e332

these look quite cool

Hong Kong + ebay isn't the safest bet but these do look good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Thoughts on Wizard DarK G2 Style Band PK Ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL