The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Tips on Practicing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
When you're practicing for a new sleight of hand in general (in my case coins), or try to perfect or improve on your old moves and make it as smooth as possible, what are some key factors and can you give me some tips on how to improve myself?

Key timing, misdirections,angles, hand gestures, body postures, sound effects, trying different ways to present the effect, etc.

I practice palming coins constantly and whenever I can,walking around, doing stuff while CP a coin. I'm trying to make my hand look as natural as possible. However sometimes friends do call me out on the hand that is palming something even after I've done the hand wash. But after hours of practicing in front of a mirror and watching videos online, and even recording myself so I can study myself by watching it, the whole thing just doesn't look natural and smooth.

My fingers are really skinny and long, sometimes the silver coin can flash through the cracks so I usually keep my fingers close to each other. However it looks rigid and unnatural to me.Would different types of hands adapt to different styles of manipulating the coins?

How do you guys practice? and how do you guys improve your skills? and how do you guys transition effects to effects as smoothly as possible? What recommendations would you give me? Oh and my hand wash look SO unnatural to me, any tips on that?

Thank you so much!
Dennis
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Read The Ostrich Factor by Gerald Edmundson. It covers how to effectively practice sleights and effects.

DON'T conflate sleights and effects. Sleights are your tools. A well done sleight is invisible to your spectators. Effects are your results. They are the impression you leave with your spectators.

Sleights and effects both need to be practiced, and need to be practiced differently. Read The Ostrich Factor.

:banana:
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Sleights WILL differ in different hands. Instead of reading and positioning your hands, fingertips, pads of fingers, etc. exactly as it says, know what the end result is and adjust the sleight to YOUR hands. Not my advice but that of Dai Vernon's in the "Revelations" DVDs.
Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 02:09, Flyswatter wrote:
When you're practicing for a new sleight of hand in general (in my case coins), or try to perfect or improve on your old moves and make it as smooth as possible, what are some key factors and can you give me some tips on how to improve myself?

Key timing, misdirections,angles, hand gestures, body postures, sound effects, trying different ways to present the effect, etc.

I practice palming coins constantly and whenever I can,walking around, doing stuff while CP a coin. I'm trying to make my hand look as natural as possible. However sometimes friends do call me out on the hand that is palming something even after I've done the hand wash. But after hours of practicing in front of a mirror and watching videos online, and even recording myself so I can study myself by watching it, the whole thing just doesn't look natural and smooth.

My fingers are really skinny and long, sometimes the silver coin can flash through the cracks so I usually keep my fingers close to each other. However it looks rigid and unnatural to me.Would different types of hands adapt to different styles of manipulating the coins?

How do you guys practice? and how do you guys improve your skills? and how do you guys transition effects to effects as smoothly as possible? What recommendations would you give me? Oh and my hand wash look SO unnatural to me, any tips on that?

Thank you so much!
Dennis

I agree
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have found that it is good to keep a journal and track your progress.

Have fun,
Bruce
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Some people can never classic palm well. Been practicing over 2 years and my CP still looks like crap IMHO. It really is just about your hand structure and you hope are you a person with the gifted hand structure , with practice, to get a great CP.

Good luck, keep practicing!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
On 2009-12-23 09:20, rgranville wrote:
Read The Ostrich Factor by Gerald Edmundson. It covers how to effectively practice sleights and effects.

"So won't you listen to what the man said..." Paul
You know why don't act naive.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:

Another vote for the Ostrich Factor. Stuff in that book took me 25 years to learn on my own. Well worth the money, well worth reading and re-reading.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3621 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Agreed! One more vote for Ostrich Factor- just what is needed...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
Will pick the book up as soon as possible, thanks for the replies guys!
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
I have the same problem with finger palm flashing because of "gaps". You can either gain a lot of weight and fill in those gaps (not recommended). Or you can limit your use of finger palm. There are ways of altering your grip with it to close up the gap and prevent flash, play around with the grip and you should find it. Also hand washing techniques after a vanish are very hard to get away with. Especially with friends who know what your natural body language is. A departure from norm brings suspicion. Try using a complete vanish or make sure the vanish is incorporated into a larger routine where it is not as isolated.
Robert The Magical Radway
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Robert The Magical Radway
I agree with ShirtlessKirk, basically if you have "windows," I do too, you can just not use the finger palm that much, you could also learn the edge palm, witch is basically palming the coin with one finger on it's edge.
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
Hang some keys on your little finger while you fingers are pointed away from you, and you thumb pointed up. Now lift the keys using only your little finger. This can help build the muscle needed for the CP, thus making it look more relaxed.

Good luck.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
321 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Rgranville, Father Photius, mandarin

Thank you for your comments about The Ostrich Factor. I also agree! Smile

Best,
Gerald
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
321 Posts

Profile of Gerald
http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/bookorder.htm
is the correct link for information about The Ostrich Factor.
http://www.theostrichfactor.com link no longer functions.

Thanks,
Gerald
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3205 Posts

Profile of gaddy
You're not practicing enough.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
Here is some more advice that no one else has mentioned.

Get the Tommy Wonder Visions of Wonder DVDs.
He does some coin routines that are totally awesome and he provides insight
on how to use the proper attention control to take the heat off of your hand
that is palming the coin.

Jim
Ed Marlo rules
terrychylton
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
18 Posts

Profile of terrychylton
Just a thought that would apply to anything you are learning. If you are putting that much practise in and aren't seeing any benefit at all, maybe go back to where you first learnt the sleight and check you haven't got into any bad habits that are stopping you from progressing. There might be something you over looked or forgot from just practising on your own without the Book/DVD there to remind you of what you are meant to be doing. If you have got into a bad habit any amount of practise will be useless whether you did for the next 2 weeks or 2 years. I'm not saying you definitely didn't learn it properly in the first place at all, I'm sure you did. I'm just saying it is always worth checking if you are worried after that amount of practise. The worst it can do is give you confidence that you just need to practise more and it will come with time and patience. Good luck.
shamsiel
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of shamsiel
Quote:

DON'T conflate sleights and effects. Sleights are your tools. A well done sleight is invisible to your spectators. Effects are your results. They are the impression you leave with your spectators.

Sleights and effects both need to be practiced, and need to be practiced differently. Read The Ostrich Factor.

Im a rookie and its the first time I hear about this book. And since I love reading, I will get this. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:

I saw Rene Lavand perform a very long time ago. Didint even know his name until I saw a video of his posted in the Café. You can the sleights are invisible and the Effect is very good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StKW1BoRpus

Quote:
On 2011-04-11 13:52, gaddy wrote:
You're not practicing enough.

I am guilty of this crime.
Respects,
Shamsiel.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3205 Posts

Profile of gaddy
We all are.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Tips on Practicing (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL