The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Tips on Practicing (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Crimlock
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Crimlock
Also finding sleights very difficult, going to look for the book you suggested. Thanks for the tip!
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I found Bill Tarr's "Now you see it, now you don't" really helpful when I was starting out with sleights.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
David Stone gives lots of good advices on coin work on some of his dvds. Once you feel comfortable with sleight, try to perform it for video camera, record it in different angles and see how it looks. Look for distractions when polishing your sleights, because you constantly get them during real time performances. If you still can perform effectively, you can probably be happy with it.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Mirrors, videos and a trusted friend. 'Nuff said.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Simon Southern Moss
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Simon Southern Moss
Also, I would not practice similar tricks or sleights at the same time. For example, if you are learning two sleights, both of which begin with holding a coin between your two middle fingers, then your basal ganglia--the part of the brain that helps automatize skills--becomes confused. The various phases of the sleight do not become entrenched or automatic as quickly.
McLean
View Profile
New user
Sweden
17 Posts

Profile of McLean
Flyswatter, on handwashing techniques: what I did was have someone film me while actually washing my hands or brushing dirt off them, just to make sure what looks natural. I then tried to figure out how to copy these motions while moving coins around.

Gerald, thanks for the link to the Ostsich Factor book.

Good luck,
Mark
McLean
View Profile
New user
Sweden
17 Posts

Profile of McLean
Oh, and I found this thread instructive:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=3
dukun
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of dukun
Hello bro..

this be my problem to when I start magic..

until I read and watch several video..

Such as..

Tommy Wonder books and video
eugene burger books and video
Dai vernon books and video..

after that I really like my practice time..

cheers
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
507 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
I only practice when I'm in the mood, which is a lot of the time anyway but if practice becomes a chore its a bore and if practtice is fun its.... a... well you see my point.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Lots of great advice listed above. I want to reiterate something mentioned above: you should consider purchasing The Ostrich Factor by Gerald Edmundson. It is well thought out and could be quite helpful. Good Luck.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Just ordered The Ostrich Factor. Looking forward to receiving it!

Hudson
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
There is a point that Eugene Berger makes - a good one I believe. There is a difference between practice and rehearsal. Both are necessary.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Bad habits are hard to break but they are also hard to discover that you have them.

I learned that the hard way. I knew I had problems but didn’t stop to try and find out the why. Until I found someone that was able to help me. He pointed out what I was doing wrong and helped me correct it. Sometimes you just need someone to help you along.
Life of Magic!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Is the Ostrich Factor available on PDF download? I've searched to no avail...
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Go to geraldedmunson.com and place a paypal order. I received my copy a few days later (hardcopy)

Hudson
ThinkThurston
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThinkThurston
I like what another posted wrote about keeping a journal -- great tip. When I practice, I treat it like practicing a sport. I decide what drills I'm going to do (DL, palming, dbl under) and decide how many times I'm going to do them (200 DLs, etc.) Once you get proficient enough to perform the sleight, adjust your goal to 'complete 200 perfect DLs.' Finally, because it's so important to be able to manip cards while talking casually, practice while watching a movie. Just be sure that you're performing the sleight correctly so you don't develop any bad habits.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
321 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Ekuth, there is no .pdf version available. Sorry, but I have no plans to publish it in that format. I do want to thank all you folks again for your interest in The Ostrich Factor. If you haven't found this link, you can still read reviews and order at http://www.geraldedmundson.com/tof1/TOFReviews.htm

Thanks again. I do appreciate your continued interest in my book.

Best regards,
Gerald
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
I used to think that my hands were too small or that the gaps in my fingers would show a palmed card in my hand (before I started learning coin sleights). I eventually learned to properly palm a card, but the "windows" would flash the card. I eventually learned how to get the heat off of my hand that is palming. There have been a couple of times where I know I didn't palm the card right, but you know what? No one noticed.

I know I'm not perfect when I CP a coin, however I haven't been called out on it yet. I still practice it and I hope to one day CP perfectly. For the time being, I've gotten by pretty well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Tips on Practicing (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL