The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thumb Tie Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I'm trying to write a thumb tie routine to add to my family show. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find some to check out? I looked under escapes and ties on youtube and came up with a small hand full. I'm not looking to copy someone else's routine, but rather looking for starting points and possibilities.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Leslie Melville's routine is appropriate for all audiences. It's one of the best I've seen, delightful and mystifying.

I'm not sure if he put it in his book, "Magictales".
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I've ALWAYS liked Alan Shaxon's routine where rings are tossed to the performer and they're immediately seen linked to his arms. I am also JUST beginning to practice this now. I have Shigeo Takagi's book that has his method for the thumb tie routine. The "method" is easily transferrable to more modern items such as zip ties and pipe cleaners. I think that the sword is a bit outdated. I have a few swords because I have a martial arts background, but c'mon how many places can you bring a sword?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5108 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
With the right story, a sword can go anywhere. Except, perhaps, on a plane.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of jakeg
To me, the method is secondary to the performance. What got me interested in the thumb tie was a clip I saw of a magician at an outdoor venue. I wanted to send him a note to let him know how much I liked what he did, but I can't remember who it was.
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Quote:
On 2009-12-26 10:57, Harley Newman wrote:
Leslie Melville's routine is appropriate for all audiences. It's one of the best I've seen, delightful and mystifying.

I'm not sure if he put it in his book, "Magictales".

The thumb-tie isn't in Magictales, but it is one of the best books on magic that I have read.

Michael
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1724 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I haven't read Magictales. Lately, I've been knee deep learning bunko routines for my close up show, but I put the book on my short list.
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Thumb Tie Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL