The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The "T" word (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
I know I'm a newbie but here is some advice:
NEVER say the word trick, and here is why-
1. It sounds cheap.
2. We don't do "Tricks".

I mean seriously I hate being tricked. don't you?

-teed
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2927 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I agree...Whenever I hear "Let me show you a "trick" I cringe. Rather, as Eugene Burger states..."Let me show you something amazing" sounds much better and much more professional.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
There are many things I don't get to define.
What I do is one of them.
I can label it and people will call it what they want, and they are correct.
So when someone says "I liked your tricks" and hands me money I always acquiesce.
To do otherwise would be rather Black & Decker.

Also when in Rome...
You know why don't act naive.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
One of my "tricks" was useful for instruction of those who would invariably ask me to "do a trick." I'd offer them a piece of chewing gum... from a snapping gum pack. When they got caught, I would say, "THAT'S a trick." Then I would ask them to call out the name of a card as I reset the snapper. As soon as they said the name of the card aloud, I would thrust the snapper out into the air and apparently snap a card... their chosen card... from the air. "THAT'S magic," I would say. "Do you want me to show you TRICKS or MAGIC?" I was prepared to go either way with a "Joy Buzzer" TRICK or a business card MAGIC effect.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I agree, the word "trick" is demeaning to the art form and I try to avoid it whenever possible. "Trick" does not acknowledge the complexities of the art, and reduces magic to the simple act of being fooled. MAGIC is about entertaining, engaging and amazing people, not fooling them.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I never use it, in spanish is " truco " and this word have many not so good definitions!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3040 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I love tricks. I made a 60 year old man giggle with a trick once. "That's a great trick." is the highest compliment anybody could ever pay me.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I have no problem using the word 'trick'.
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
Hey,
I mean everyone has there opinions and personally IMHO it just sounds stupid to say "trick". Also, Spellbinder, I like your idea of the snapping gum.

-Teed
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
What we do are tricks that are supposed to look like magic.
The laity knows this.
Magic is a very strong word.
Using the word magic can bring out the 'challenger' in people.
E.g.:"That's not magic! It's just a trick!"
And they're right.
I've heard lay people use the word "trick" more than I've heard "magic".
It really boils down to your style, character and presentation.

I'll use phrases like 'something cool' and 'neat illusion' before I use 'trick' or 'magic'.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I could care less about the word trick. No matter what you call it, the audience knows it's a trick. In fact I think it's more impressive to tell them it's a trick and then astound them anyway. Embrace what you do; you're already lying just by doing magic, don't make it worse by pretending that your lies aren't lies.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3040 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
There's a lot more to this than just a visceral response to the word "trick".

A while ago I was feeling ambitious and pumped out a first draft of a book devoted to the different kinds of performer archetypes within magic. Here's a brief quote...

Quote:
The reason why I feel these archetypes are important to explore is because there is often heated debate in the magic community about certain elements that are best addressed simply by looking at it from the point of view of, if not archetype, then of character. But for the moment let’s look at it from the point of view of archetypes, since one of the things that I feel defines archetypes is the fact that they embody a group of performers that are joined by common approaches to specific issues in magic.

For instance, should the performer ever use the word "trick"? A seemingly inconsequential question, but one that Maskelyne and Devant devote a whole section to in "Our Magic". They have their set answer you can read for yourself, but in my opinion, depending upon your archetype, there is no set answer. A Mentalist archetype would shudder at the thought -- if not because it diminishes the power of his effects, but because it suggests solutions that are contrary to his aim (specifically, that his mental powers do all the work). The Mentalist wants a convincing illusion that everything he does is accomplished by the power of the mind. Calling something he does a "Trick" on the other hand can undermine this. A Jester, on the other hand, might relish the use of such a word, since it underscores his intentions, which is to fool and deceive his audience. To provide a third point of view, there is the Manipulator who does a silent act... what opportunity does he even have to use the word? This question is immaterial to him.

The Mentalist, The Jester, and the Manipulator were three proposed archetypes out of 13 in the book. An archetype essentially determines the performer's relationship to the "magic" he presents and gives clarity to what the audience should take away from his performance.

I'm currently very deep in the Jester camp. My own reason for enjoying the word "trick" so much is that it encapsulates what magic means to me... it's a sharing of tricks. I like the idea of a bunch of guys sitting around with a deck of cards, or whatever, and passing them around, and each of them doing the best trick they know.

When I work professionally, I don't want to sell what I do as "magic" because that's a claim I can't live up to. I can't fly around the room, or read minds, or change $1 into $100 (and let them keep it). Most people who call themselves magicians can't do that either. I try to connect with the audience through that fact, as I feel it's a valid one. What's more, if somebody in a close-up performance says he knows a trick, I'll stop what I'm doing and give him the cards, and ask with sincerity to see it.

Instead, what I do are tricks. They're good tricks, and I bust my *** to make them as deceptive and entertaining as I know how, but I don't want to deal with somebody who wants to superimpose their concepts of magic onto me. I have a reason for performing the tricks that I do, but I'm not going to call them magic or myself a proper magician -- I've got bigger fish to fry.

Man is not the biggest, fastest or strongest animal on the planet. We are, however, the most dominant, and this is due in large part to our cleverness. Sometimes we turn that cleverness on each other, and this is a fascinating thing to me. It's a big part of what my philosophy towards magic is all about, and I choose my tricks accordingly.

Incidentally, I don't care if somebody else eschews the word "tricks" when they perform or present themselves as a magician. That's their artistic choice.
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Smile Smile
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
Totally agree with Andrew, I even had some incidents where pple would say "oh, show me the trick were I select a card and you find it in your wallet..." or "show me that trick with the cups..."
from what I experience, people are not stupid, and that's why I like to treat them as equals...i m not more clever then any of them, and I don't have any supernatural power...i'm just there to entertain with magic
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
The way I see the 'T' word, is that when you purchase a magic prop, that in it'self is a 'trick' on it's own. If you 'just' go through the motions that is all it will ever be.

If there is a 'reason' on bringing out the prop, such as when with friends, and you say, 'do you want to see some magic', or do as a friend of mine does when he's smoking, he says, 'Im eco-friendly, I don't use ash trays or throw my butts on the floor, I just make them disappear'. Then this becomes unexpected, and becomes 'magic'

A magic act is a string of these reasons, so it becomes a magic show, a magician's act has never been billed as a 'trick' show!!

I agree though, that if you are showing something that is out of context, then all it is, is a 'trick'. In context with something, it's magic.
hey... Smile Smile Smile ... what is this signature saying about me?!
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On 2009-12-29 18:30, tjaymagic wrote:
The way I see the 'T' word, is that when you purchase a magic prop, that in it'self is a 'trick' on it's own. If you 'just' go through the motions that is all it will ever be.

If there is a 'reason' on bringing out the prop, such as when with friends, and you say, 'do you want to see some magic', or do as a friend of mine does when he's smoking, he says, 'Im eco-friendly, I don't use ash trays or throw my butts on the floor, I just make them disappear'. Then this becomes unexpected, and becomes 'magic'

A magic act is a string of these reasons, so it becomes a magic show, a magician's act has never been billed as a 'trick' show!!

I agree though, that if you are showing something that is out of context, then all it is, is a 'trick'. In context with something, it's magic.

I like this take on it, the "trick" is the method but there is more to the act than that.
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
I missed showmanship and stage pressence didn't I... Smile
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
I didn't think you did Tjaymagic, I thought you implied those things.. I guess the question is though are those components of an act part of the "trick" or not?
tjaymagic
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of tjaymagic
To re-itterate what I said, the prop is the trick. Everything that is used in the act, that is pshycology, misdirection, stage management, acting, stage lighting, sound... you get the gist, makes it a 'magical' entertainment.

If your personality lets you perform 'tricks' where you get outstanding results in a 'real world' setting, then that could also be considered magic.

It is wholly dependant on the situation, the person and the auidence.

Many thanks for liking my 'take' on trick Smile
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
Hmm I kinda like that idea
:P

-Teed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The "T" word (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL