We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Passport by David Regal - review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Official description:

The spectator selects any card, secretly writes the name of a location on it's face, then returns it to the deck. The performer waves a black leather embossed passport case over the cards, then is able to tell the spectator the name of the unspoken location. The passport case is opened and a passport removed from inside. The pages of the passport are flipped, and a face down card is found inside - the card is removed and it proves to be the card selected by the spectator complete with his handwritten location. The card can be given to the spectator. NOTE: If desired, the passport can be bound with rubber bands and in view prior to the selection of a card. This is a card-to-impossible-location effect with no forces, no palming, and no hesitation.

Where to purchase and view demo video:

http://www.davidregal.com/#;

Review:

Can't say enough about this effect, and the quality of the props. The props themselves are absolutely top-notch, professionally made with precision, and are elegant in appearance. The wallet is made of well-stitched black leather, suitable for the most (or least) formal setting. The passport itself is so well made and realistic, including the stamps, that there's really no reason to substitute a real one unless you live outside the U.S. and want to use one from your own country. The effect is available in domestic (U.S.), domestic/Mexico and International versions, all in a choice of either red or blue backed bicycle cards.

When the package arrived and I looked at the gimmicks I was stumped; other than the basic idea, it wasn't what I was expecting. How did all of this fit together? Purposely didn't watch the DVD for about a half hour while I thought about it - suffice to say that the solution is more than satisfying. David did a fabulous job thinking this through in every detail. The DVD walks you through multiple alternate handlings, all of which are terrific. I don't see how this effect could possibly be done more cleanly or easily.

This is a fun routine, with plenty of opportunity for gags (David supplies a couple on the DVD to get started). Because it deals with travel, rather than numbers and suits, it has a built in human theme that connects with the spectator's experiences or desires.

Having the rubber bands around the wallet, and the freedom with which you can handle and display the wallet, makes this routine cleaner and even more convincing than most other no-palm wallets, IMO. You can even name the person's selected "destination" before doing the reveal, thanks to the ingenious nature of the gimmicks.

I wonder if, at some point, replacement gimmicks might be available for the one aspect that is likely to show wear over time.

The price for the entire package is more than fair. Without question, this is one of the best magic purchases I've ever made.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Correction: there is only one version of this prop (ie, no "international" version).

Even though the wallet is stamped to match a U.S. passport, it shouldn't be an issue using it with a real international passport inside, as the focus is never on what's written on the outside of the wallet.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Now this has caught my attention! It does look like Mr Regal has gon and done it... A genuine card to wallet with no palming. The Holy Grail for guys like me who are less than confident in palming a card when performing live and the heat is truly on. Bravo Mr Regal!
TGR
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Mr. Regal has created a fun and unusual variation on the card to wallet trick. It's currently priced way too cheaply for what you get. It is apparently still available for purchase at his website.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
After watching the demo, I immediately thought it looks like an updated version of a trick Steve Spill sold back in the late 70's. Or maybe it was just in his lecture notes.
David did seem to add a little more to the handling.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I love this efffect - very clever handling. My "secret something" is showing wear, but I continue to use it. so far no one has noticed, or at least I don't think they have. I guess it would be easy enough to just make another one.

Jim
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
792 Posts

Profile of David Regal
RC4MAG -

Yes, absolutely. Several people have used various elements from Passport in the past. I just put the elements together in a way that seemed to make sense to me, but I did came up with a twist on the typical gimmick, one that allows for some things unique to Passport.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
This is a GREAT trick!
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
LeViking
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LeViking
How would you rate difficulty level ?

I am pretty new to magic.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2010-06-06 22:30, LeViking wrote:
How would you rate difficulty level ?

I am pretty new to magic.

You might want to ask David Regal for a more detailed assessment. But I will say the trick isn't technically difficult; that's part of the beauty of this routine. It will take some practice to get the handling down pat.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Beginner level: meaning it will be done poorly (rushed with no confidence) with flashing and with an non smooth flow to the routine. You may know the gross mechanics but not the performance subtleties, angles, timing, on/off beats, internalized patter, outs, etc.

Intermediate: Better presentation, relaxed and hopefully less rookie mistakes all pointing to obvious experience - good and bad.

You can know the "magic" but not know the Magic. - Practice, Find your style and kind of magic, practice, read and study (philosophy, theory, acting, routining, history), practice and refine. I'm not writing this to discourage you, I wish and hope for your experience to be rewarding and truly FUN.

I'm going to assume you are not coming into magic half arsed and being a hack. But this all depends - are you learning to be a pro or just as a hobbyist.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Well put. It means almost everyone can do this, but the presentation is the one will make the difference between a real "mentalist" or beginner.

Will it work if we perform to non-US citizens or perhaps people that have different passport? Just to make sure.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2010-06-07 05:06, Failed Magician wrote:

Will it work if we perform to non-US citizens or perhaps people that have different passport? Just to make sure.

I would think that shouldn't be a problem at all. The included passport should be recognizable as a passport to just about everyone whether they are US citizens or not.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
It comes with an authentic looking passport. Just use it, and you're OK. I use my real passport because it fits nicely in the leather wallet, but I don't think any spectator is going to question the passport per-se. They're too focused on their card and what's happening with it.

Jim
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Depending on your personality and style, you could say you got the passport from a street vendor selling stuff out of a van with the motor running.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Ok, so if I understand it correctly, I can actually use my own real passport (from any country) to be put inside the black leather wallet-type container, and when I flip through my passport pages, I will find their chosen card and their destination they wrote?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
The leather passport wallet is 3 3/4" X 5 1/2". If your passport will fit inside, you're good to go.

Jim
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
The passport wallet does have the US Seal embossed on it, but if you're using a non-US passport, I still don't think anyone would really notice as it doesn't have focus for very long. Just wanted to point that out.

And it would be very simple to prepare your own passport (you won't destroy it, by the way!) for use in the routine.

That reminds me, I need to get my photo taken for the passport that's included with the effect!

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2100 Posts

Thanks Jim, I think almost all passport around the world have the same dimension of size.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I like the concept of the Passport wallet. Lots of possibilities, easy to perform, no palm, and allows a logical reason for having a larger wallet with another folder inside containing the chosen card. However, I have to be honest: I don't like the card removal from the inner passport. No offense to Mr. Regal who I have the utmost respect for, but it just kinda looks funny. Reminds me of a variation of Kohler's envelope effect but without the advantage or ability to "clean up" at the end.

I would tend to stick with Mullica or Hip Pocket Mullica as the zipper allows the card to be removed slowly from the inner wallet. Just my opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Passport by David Regal - review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL