The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Dr. Jacob Daley Last Trick (Vernon's handling) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
This is Vernon's handling of this great trick. This handling can be found in ....The Dai Vernon Book of Magic.
A Classic in cards.
Vernon's handling IMHO is the best when it come to this trick.
Enjoy
Tim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WhK_2kql1E
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3213 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Tim, free time on your hands lately?? Im thinking you gave your family an Xmas gift, a trip somewhere without you...LOL Keep em coming.
MattKamm
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
42 Posts

Profile of MattKamm
Am I embarrassing myself if I say I was just fooled?- no less by a trick I thought I knew! Well done, Tim.

Matt
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
298 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
This was very smooth, Tim. Most magical. Nice work!
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Smoooth!

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Well done. Not many people perform the original version.
As far as I understand the description in the Vernon Book of Magic, this is Daley's own method, which was not changed by Vernon. I think, the inclusion of the trick in the book was meant as a tribute to Daley, since the Doctor was one of the Professor's best friends.

By the way, a couple of years ago, Roberto Giobbi wrote something to the effect, that Daley's original method was still the superiour handling, despite the countless "improvements" that followed. He even went so far to say, that anyone who believes otherwise, is a fool, which had been met with an incredulous shake of the head, if I remember correctly.
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1245 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 03:12, Uli Weigel wrote:
By the way, a couple of years ago, Roberto Giobbi wrote something to the effect, that Daley's original method was still the superiour handling, despite the countless "improvements" that followed. He even went so far to say, that anyone who believes otherwise, is a fool, which had been met with an incredulous shake of the head, if I remember correctly.

I agree to a certain extent, surely he doesn't mean the method cannot be imporoved upon ( I don't like biddle-grip counts ). Nevertheless, the original is still the best, with Scott Robinson's version in trapdoor being close 2nd.

~ Feras
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
Who am I to question Vernon...but it seems a bit more confusing then just showing a red ace, putting it down, showing a red ace putting down...and then showing the transposition.

Probably just me....but thanks for the contribution.

Rich B.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Rich:
I agree...moreover, I don't use this approach to DLT; to me, it smacks of telling the spectator something akin to, "see? you just weren't watching close enough...I fooled you! Muahahahahaaaa...."

I prefer, by far, Bill Malone's handling. It's much gentler, includes a wonderful moment of comedy, and at the end, does not make the spectator feel foolish. The second we make them feel stupid is the moment we begin losing them.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 03:12, Uli Weigel wrote:
Well done. Not many people perform the original version.
As far as I understand the description in the Vernon Book of Magic, this is Daley's own method, which was not changed by Vernon. I think, the inclusion of the trick in the book was meant as a tribute to Daley, since the Doctor was one of the Professor's best friends.

Yes, I misspoke I went and got the book out and reread the intro, it did sound like this is Dr. Daley's method unchanged. I wish I would've picked up on that years ago when I first studied this trick.
Thanks for the heads up.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It's a little short for a routine, no matter how nice it is. Gregory Wilson, Darwin Ortiz, Bill Malone, Jon Allen*** and others have interesting variations for the moves.
The routine is also a nice intro to Twisting the Aces but for some reason these two are rarely presented together.
Another alternative is to start with a "spectator cuts to the aces" before performing a Dr Daley's last trick routine and finishing with Twisting the Aces. The initial effects create the interaction which supplies the effect's actual success.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
TKO MAGIC
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of TKO MAGIC
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 08:32, Rich B. wrote:
Who am I to question Vernon...but it seems a bit more confusing then just showing a red ace, putting it down, showing a red ace putting down...and then showing the transposition.

Probably just me....but thanks for the contribution.

Rich B.

I second that.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 15:29, Lawrence O wrote:
It's a little short for a routine, no matter how nice it is. Gregory Wilson, Darwin Ortiz, Bill Malone, Jon Allen*** and others have interesting variations for the moves.
The routine is also a nice intro to Twisting the Aces but for some reason these two are rarely presented together.
Another alternative is to start with a "spectator cuts to the aces" before performing a Dr Daley's last trick routine and finishing with Twisting the Aces. The initial effects create the interaction which supplies the effect's actual success.

Lawrence,
Your right I should of mention that, this is stronger when put with a series of tricks to make a whole routine. But still works as a quick hey show me something situations. Nothing fancy.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
For the "hey show me something situations", it is always possible to do a Flurry. A friend of mine has a fantastic routine. His take on the effect is really slick and brilliant for impromptu situations. His name is Tim Feher...
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10786 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Iwas just going to same the same thing
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On 2009-12-31 15:29, Lawrence O wrote:

I really doubt that. I know many people (online and in the real world) who present TTA and Daley's last trick together.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Dr. Jacob Daley Last Trick (Vernon's handling) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL