The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Just starting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I am think about getting in to escapes my shows are getting bigger. I thought that an escape would be good for a larger crowd. What woult be some good references to help get me started.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
First, comb through threads in this section, to see what catches your eye. There's a lot of solid background material here.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
What he said. But don't pay too much attention to a guy named Newman. Never seen him, can't vouch for him. Gives great phone though.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I am an escape newbie and by no means means an expert. I started with Jay Leslie's 100' Rope Tie Challenge which got me excited for more. I also loved Danny Hunt's "Escape" DVD's which gave me ideas for much broader ways to build more elaborate presentations and also got me started on lock picking. This stuff has been a blast to learn and use.

Dan.
modfrog
View Profile
New user
winchester
73 Posts

Profile of modfrog
I was going to pick up the 100' rope challenge
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
That's a good place to start. How you advance depends on what you want to achieve with escapes. If you just want it as an interlude, then stick to the basics like the already mentioned 100 foot ropes escape. The Kellar Tie would be good for some laughs if you play it right. If you are doing illusions, the Sub Trunk is fun.

But, if you don’t plan on getting too serious with it, stay away from the challenge type effects like handcuffs and so on. Escapes takes a lot of work and knowledge. And that doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be successful with it. The showmanship is different as described by Doug Henning in his book about Houdini.

There are a lot of good books. A good place to start is John Novak’s series on escapes.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I also recommend Burling Hull's "33 Rope Ties and Chain Releases."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Avoid any advice from bald moustachioed men with chains and shackles in their picture.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
That's right, listen to the guy who hangs boat anchors from his nipples. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Iron Will
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Iron Will
Hi modfrog,
I've been performing escapes professionally for 5 years (which is nothing compared to the other guys here). It has been a while since I've been active in the forums again.

As I am the first escape artist in Singapore, I didn't have any mentors or people to talk to.

As Harley suggested, read through the threads in this forum and you'll pick up useful hints, ideas and suggestions. This was what I did when I first started out.
Also, do think about the rest of your show. Will the escape be done as a "break" from magic/illusions? Will it be done as a comedy routine? What is your stage personality like? I do not know what the rest of your show is like, but it's definitely something to think about.

I second on the books as suggested by the pros here. I definitely recommend Burling Hull's booklet, and the videos by Jay Leslie (straitjacket and rope challenge). I also picked up both of Steve Baker's books a couple of years back, and he talked about building an escape act in a show.

Do update us on what you'll be doing for the show and best of luck! Most importantly, be safe!

Rock On!
Iron Will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Just starting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL