The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Final Penetration by Mikame (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Watch trailer. Nice prop.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/TA4826/Fina......ame.html

Ad text:
"Final Penetration is a phenomenal piece of classical block penetration magic. Nothing has changed much for the Block Penetration routine for years but Mikame's Final Penetration is a revival of a solid classic with a modern look and function. This classical piece of magic can now be reset, and the routine repeated without the hassle of setting it up again. This is the Final Penetration.

The magician invites a spectator to place the block into the wooden chamber. The spectator inserts the stick, stabbing the block into place, and flips the device over. The block does not fall. The spectator removes the stick, and the block falls from the chamber. The magician tries the same routine, but the block passes the stick and falls directly out of the chamber to the audience's amazement. Everything can be inspected before and after the trick. You are left with a clean presentation of a phenomenal classical magic trick. "
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yes, looks good indeed!
Does anyone have it? Any thoughts?
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I just ordered mine today from Paul at Hocus-Pocus and I promise a review when it arrives. I'm really looking forward to this effect.

Good magic to all,

Eric
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Interesting prop. I noticed it online last week and wondered in anyone had this and what they thought of it. I look forward to hearing from others about this too.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2010-01-04 14:32, The great Gumbini wrote:
I just ordered mine today from Paul at Hocus-Pocus and I promise a review when it arrives. I'm really looking forward to this effect.

Good magic to all,

Eric

Great! Thanks! Smile
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Ok guys here it is. As I sometimes do, I opened my package and took out the wooden box, the cube and the stick. I looked everything over for 2 reasons. One, I of course wanted to make sure everything was there and in good shape---it was. And second, I like to see if just by looking at something if I can figure out how it was done. So I looked, and looked some more (thought I may have figured it out but I was wrong) and looked it over one more time. I absolutely could not figure this out. That being said I of course will not hesitate to hand this out for inspection prior to or after I perform it. And I can almost for certain promise that anyone who buys this won't figure it out either without first learning the secret. The only exception would be if somehow in transit the reset happened by mistake---not very likely to happen. The quality is better than the pictures. It will take some time (not very long but some time) to get to know your own prop---but it's time well spent to assure a smooth run. I showed this to my wife (who got it for me as my belated Christmas gift) and she absolutely loved it and could not guess how it was done. Yes I told her how it works since she is my confidant and assistant. I highly recommend all who buy this to try to figure it out prior to looking at the instructions---I believe it will build your confidence to hand these items out for inspection.

I believe this is a very good product for a very fair price. Paul at Hocus-Pocus told me I would like this and he was right. I always hold my effects to a simple yet effective standard---if I lost or broke this item would I spend the money to replace it? The answer to this question in this case is yes I would in a moment.

I hope this helps you in making a wise choice. I really believe you will not be disappointed.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

BTW the demo you see is very accurate.

Good magic to all,

Eric
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
Thanks for the information!
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

And now a follow up. I had a chance now to perform this twice in front of a real audience. My sister was in the audience when I performed this the first time and she later said "Let me see that one where the block goes through the stick." So I showed it to her and she hit it, slapped it and looked very close at it and finally said "Ok so how does this work?" Now keep in mind my sister has watched over the years and had been very helpful in giving me hints on how to perform an effect cleaner. She knows how just about 99% of the effects I do are done. She is one of the first people I show things to after I practiced. My wife is always the first. Well I asked my sister how she thought it was done. She said she thought maybe the cube pulled apart. I told her that was not correct. I said besides if it did pull apart where would it go? The cube is the almost the same size as the tube. She just stared at it (like a monkey seeing fire for the first time!) and finally said "I have no idea". I'm going to let her keep guessing on this one. Yes I do confide in her and she is very helpful as my part time assistant but I figure she needs to stay in wonder sometimes too right? Plus once again I can say I'm smarter than my sister!

You guys this is really a nice piece of magic and now that I've had a chance to practice and perform it I can honestly tell you I highly recommend it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
"I have no idea". - Same for me. Im a true monkey man, shame.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Do not and I mean DO NOT feel bad about not figuring this one out. It is really good.

Good magic to all,

Eric
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
I received this yesterday and I have to echo the comments already posted here by the great Gumbini. I did as he suggested and spent time trying to figure it out first off. After about 10 minuts of looking it over, knocking on sides and top, shaking the wooden block, checking the stick out, etc etc, I still had no idea. I gave up, came back about 30 minutes later and still no luck.
Only one thing caught my eye...but even this gave me no clue or inkling on how this works so I thought this was a dead end. This just didn't have anything about it to say "out of place here". Frankly, I can't see how anyone will be able to figure it out with the normal examine time one would offer an audience.

So once I read the instructions and understood how it works, I couldn't put the thing down! It works so well and there's room for some audience participation too, always nice. Everything ends up totally clean.
It's very well made (note to those who have lately been bemoaning a decloie in Mikame quality.) The wood is flawless, it's assembled tightly and the dark/light colors really give this a beautiful look just sitting on a shelf. The stick used to slide thru the tube to hold the block has a nice engraving on it with "Mikame" in fancy lettering- a nice touch. The block is clean, tightly assembled with no cracks, odd fits or ragged edges. Just a well put together item.

I'm exicted with this and feel it will play well with people as it can be handled before and after and will fool everyone. They get to join in the fun a bit too. Can't wait to try this out and will let you know. BTW, my "test audience", aka, "The wife", was completely baffled by this one and I, like gumbini, won't divulge a thing! ;-)
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
BTW, if anyone cares to know, I purchased mine from Madhatter Magic- great price and pretty quick delivery.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I agree fully!

Good magic to all,

Eric
723sabre
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of 723sabre
OK, it's been a few days now since my last post on this. I tried it out with a few other people and it went over very well. They were completely baffled and even after re-examining everything had no idea. Got a few "It's magnets", "He's holding it a certain way", "The stick somehow breaks in two to allow it to pass thru", etc. It's pretty fun to hear the responses, but they can't figure it out.

One word of caution though. I have found that the surface you use for the block to drop onto can be important. I used a close up pad on top of a table that had a tablecloth. That's a problem...I had one issue with people watching where it was clear things didn't go right in the first phase of the routine. If you have this you know what I mean. Knowing this I pressed on with "Let's try it again, only this time YOU (I chose a different person) put the stick thru." Now so far they had no idea what I was up to or what was supposed to ultimately occur, so we just repeated the first step in the routine with me emphasizing the block just won't fall out with the stick in place. This time I held the whole apparatus up a wee bit higher, and let it fall on the table cloth alone (it was my table, so no foul here). That did it, and I proceeded on to the finale. It didn't seem to phase anybody...except me a bit! ;-)

I also noted that the block can once in a while bounce or roll off to a side if you hold the tube too high and this can cause an issue. The instructions say hold the tube about 10cm off above the table/surface and that's really about right.

So just a few words of caution for those looking at this topic. It's still a great effect and I have no regrets at all, but thankfully I practiced quite a bit before showing anyone as this did happen while practicing so I was aware it could occur before it happened in front of others.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

You did a great job covering the re-do on the cube. I had that happen as well and I did something like what you did. I made it look like I did not show everyone how the cube is locked in by the stick. So I placed it back in and SLOWLY showed how there is no way to get the cube out. Then went into the routine. But you made very good points. I've got it down pat now as far as the height to hold it at for the drop. But very good points on your post.

Good magic to all,

Eric
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
I just got this and it seems like a beautiful thing to me. I wonder if those of you who have had it a while have any tips on reducing noise? Its not a big problem but I'd like to get it as quiet as possible.

S
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-03-27 15:04, StuartNolan wrote:

I wonder if those of you who have had it a while have any tips on reducing noise? Its not a big problem but I'd like to get it as quiet as possible.

I don't have it. However I suggest apply some Fanning Powder (Zinc Stearate) to the cube as well as inside of the tube. Hopefully that might help reduce noise as well as help in smoother operation. Smile

Also very slightly rounding off of all the six edges (corners) of the cube (using fine emery paper) can be of great help.

Just a thought! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Thanks Ustaad, I'm going to try both of those ideas.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
manxmadcat
View Profile
New user
Isle of Man
2 Posts

Profile of manxmadcat
Hi,
I recieved my order of Final Penetration today, and from looking over the blocks am impressed with the quality.
One small problem though, my instructions are in Japanese!
Can anyone help and maybe forward me a copy of their english instructions?
I am happy to provide proof of purchase if needed as I realise people may be wary of giving away a £70 secret without proof!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Final Penetration by Mikame (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL