The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Expected income for a Professional magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ignoramus
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of ignoramus
I am considering persuing a career as a professional magician but already have steady day job. What might a new comer expect to earn in a fairly large city? It might be helpful to break this down into types of work and fees for different types of gig. I hear a private booking is quite expensive. I would try to start at a local magic bar after work. Perhaps this would lead on to greater things.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3399 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
How much do you want to work?

What are you worth?

Two typical questions to ask yourself. Remember, once it becomes your sole source of income it's your job. You are then responsible for your health insurance, liability insurance, retirement...etc.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If you are really a newcomer to Magic I'd say enjoy the Magic and learn for a while before thinking about going pro.

Just think about your repertoire as you learn (keep it commercial but that's another subject).

-Mary Mowder
coolini
View Profile
Regular user
australia
175 Posts

Profile of coolini
I m not pro myself, but I expect that the journey from being a new comer to become professional would take a long time and lots of practice...
it's like when you start learning a music instrument for the first time...you don't think about performing in concerts straight away!!!! instead, you should enjoy the journey my friend, and a magic journey is something to enjoy and remember...
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
15,000 to 5 millian a year is the range. You will fall somewhere in there depending upon your skill, stage presence, charisma, business savy, and marketing. Of course it always help to be lucky too.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
And that low end is only as high as it is if you assume the word "professional" bears certain limitations, of course. I can imagine there are those who fancy themselves professional, but who really are not, making considerably less even than that.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
A lot of it comes down to your marketing skills, and how well you sell yourself. Obviously you have to be talented too.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Copperfield made $98 million one year.... even ten percent of that would be nice Smile
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Quote:
On 2010-01-03 16:26, Mary Mowder wrote:
If you are really a newcomer to Magic I'd say enjoy the Magic and learn for a while before thinking about going pro.
I think he meant a newcomer to the local paid entertainer scene. If Mary is right, then I advise the same. Don't go pro if you are a complete novice to magic. You need to know more than just the effects to earn money with magic.

The basic answer has been given regardless. What you can expect to earn largely depends on what you put in. You earn more if you do more gigs. You earn more if you have a stage show or a close up set people like and even your personality figures into your earnings.

There is no single answer.

For starters:
1) Make sure you can do the best magic in your repertoire in your sleep and now what the ideal situations to perform them are.
2) Find out what the competition is charging. You don't want to undercut them too much, but you don't want to ask much more either.
3) Starting at a local bar is a good idea. If people like your performance, they'll ask if you can do a show for them elsewhere. Make sure you have an act ready (along with business cards).
ignoramus
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of ignoramus
Thanks for the answers everyone - I appreciate this was a tricky question answer.

Perhaps I will get in touch with my local magic bar and ask if they would put me on probation...
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
Have a transition phase of 2 years -

cut back to 4 days a week at your/a steady job - take the magic seriously and perform at least five times week, do shows for good causes etc / regular gig at a resturant somewhere-
practice your art and when you are worth £350 for a few hours - then you will get it - not before - and making that jump too soon with harm both yourself and other magicians as it gives Pros a bad name.

Job at a magic bar would be perfect place to hone the pro magic skills. (illusions bristol??) and when your ready in 2 years - go full time with the PR - but don't jump before you know you'll float

good luck
mgcpwrs
View Profile
New user
San Jose, CA
53 Posts

Profile of mgcpwrs
Wow - the Café should be charging for advice like this.
So good - the range, act choice, business cards ready,
and the big one - transition phase of 2 years !
Priceless Golden advice
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I would throw out there that no one is going to tell you when it is time to be a full time pro. You'll know its time because you will be getting more calls than you know what to do with.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
How many mouths ate on the 98mill from D.C.

Anyway I think our friend may be asking were to start for prices.
There are many books out there from Mayne to Ammar.

Let's not quote money,but mabye you should talk to some agencies near your home base if any and get some feed back. Rather than gypsse yorself around.
Naturally it dipends on your experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Expected income for a Professional magician (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL