The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What do you guys think about Flip's DVD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

purpulhaze
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of purpulhaze
At one time I wanted to get into rope magic but most of the effects I know were to cut the rope. Not good when you are on a tight budget. I came across this DVD not to long ago that covers rope magic and stated that most of the tricks didn't require you to cut the rope. Has anyone seen this DVD? Are there any other materials I can get that cover tricks that don't require you to cut the rope.
magicfan
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of magicfan
Yes, I have this DVD, and it is a good DVD. There are actual routines that are explained on the DVD, not just tricks, which make it valuable to me. And no, you do not cut the rope in this DVD. But the spectators think you do! Smile Smile
lemagician
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of lemagician
I prefer Daryl's DVD.

Better routines in my opinion.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I would agree with Lemagician, I think that Flip is a great performer, but I got more out of Daryl's stuff.
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I just wondered if you might be putting too much emphasis on the cost of rope. You can't become a marksman if you worry about the cost of bullets.

How much does a piece of rope for a show cost? A couple of bucks at the most. Even if you only get paid fifty bucks for a show, that is pretty reasonable as an expense.

I think that there are many wonderful routines that do not use up rope, but I don't think that that should be an important criteria.

The strength of the effect and the entertaining performance possibilities should always be the most important things to consider. Even in a low budget show. Maybe then especially.

If you spent say $25 on expendables (fruit, newspapers, flash paper, rope, whatever) for a fifty dollar show, but that show convinced someone to hire you for another show at $100, was that $25 a smart expense?
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I like Filp's DVD and his routines.

But if I were the producer I would have included more shots from the performer's perspective.

This is my big gripe with a lot of the videos I have seen. Everything is shot from the audience perspective. While that is important it is more important to show the performers view. But that's words for another topic.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Palle
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Palle
Quote:
On 2003-06-30 16:49, whithaydn wrote:
I just wondered if you might be putting too much emphasis on the cost of rope. You can't become a marksman if you worry about the cost of bullets.

How much does a piece of rope for a show cost? A couple of bucks at the most. Even if you only get paid fifty bucks for a show, that is pretty reasonable as an expense.

I think that there are many wonderful routines that do not use up rope, but I don't think that that should be an important criteria.

The strength of the effect and the entertaining performance possibilities should always be the most important things to consider. Even in a low budget show. Maybe then especially.

If you spent say $25 on expendables (fruit, newspapers, flash paper, rope, whatever) for a fifty dollar show, but that show convinced someone to hire you for another show at $100, was that $25 a smart expense?


Whit,
I love your rope routine and I agree that spending money on a new rope for each show is fine.

However, can you give any thoughts on how to practice a rope routine that "use up" all the rope at each performance.

Thanks for any suggestions.

palle...
Viper42
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Viper42
If you're worried about cost of rope to practice with, why not just go out and buy some cheap twine? If you buy rope in bulk you can get it pretty cheap.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I love his routines, but his presentations are very, very strange, and need reworking.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Quote:
On 2003-07-01 09:41, RayBanks wrote:
I like Filp's DVD and his routines.

But if I were the producer I would have included more shots from the performer's perspective.

This is my big gripe with a lot of the videos I have seen. Everything is shot from the audience perspective. While that is important it is more important to show the performers view. But that's words for another topic.


You have to remember that the Flip rope routines were shot in the early 80's... about 20 years ago. This was when video of magic was in it's early stages and Videonics was indeed the pioneer of this format to the magic faternity. These DVD re-releases now of the Videonic material by L&L is a great idea.
Linds
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
73 Posts

Profile of Linds
Quote:
On 2003-07-05 21:30, zombieboy wrote:
I love his routines, but his presentations are very, very strange, and need reworking.


Perhaps, but Flip comes from Holland and was performing and explaining all that material in a language that was not his mother tongue. I don't know how well I would fare if I was asked to perform and lecture in Dutch while in Holland.

As has been pointed out by others, these videos are showing their age, but the material is sound It does, however, require idividual effort to develop a presentation that is personal and unique to the performer.

I bought the DVD because of the enhanced access that the medium provides when studying new material. L & L is doing us a service by re-releasing all the Videonics material.
Cheers
Linds

Disbelief in Magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
These are great tapes and I highly reccomend them. I had volume 2 on video so it was great to finally see the first half of the set after all these years. It is also great that it is on DVD as you can clearly slo-mo or freeze frame at certain points in the routine which really helps to clarify some of the moves.
I'm hoping that this volume does well enough that they will have a reason to re-release some of the other Flip material they made on DVD
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » What do you guys think about Flip's DVD? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL