The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » S.S. Adams items/Magic Makers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
As many of you know, the S.S. Adams Commpany was purchased by Magic Makers last year.

It looks like they are repackaging a lot of the S.S. Adams products under a new "Thurston Magic" label. The tipoff is the old Adams packaging of its "Magic Worm" peeking out from below the new "Thurston Magic" header; click HERE to view.

Anyway, it's good to see some of these items [Papa Rabbit Goes to Town, Magic Coin Block] continue on. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Magic Makers didn't want to have to manufactor anything when the bought S.S.Adams.So David Haversat and Chris Adams (S.S. Adams grandson) keep all the gaff coins and Mystic Smoke as well as some stanard stuff like worms and Svengali decks. David called the new venture "Thurston Magic"

http://thurstonmagic.com/ Its in the same building as S.S.Adams was in.

Hope this cleared up somethings.

Don
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
SS Adams was responsible for a LOT of people getting into magic!

Mark. Smile
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Don, for explaining the Adams/Magic Makers situation.

Nice to know that the business will carry on. SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Mark:

You are right! I got my start as a kid in Magic with Papa Rabbit Go to town and a ball and vase, some pocket card tricks too. There was a magic shop located by the bus station in Saginaw Michigan, it was called THE HOUSE OF MIRTH, and I thought that was the greatest place in the world.

My Grandmother would take me in there and turn me loose with my allowance haha. The Adams tricks were on a rack, with all kinds of joke items too, fly in the ice cube etc. All great stuff!

ROD
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Don:

I too am very glad SS Adams will continue to have the old tricks under the Thurston Name, That should keep the tradition alive for a long time.

Thanks for this info!!!! and all the best for 2010

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
S.S.Adams had a 100th party a few years ago.David got several letters from magicians that couldn't make it to the party.One from Lance Burton and one from David Copperfield.Both saying they got their start as kids with S.S.Adams tricks.I think that's so neat.

I took a tour of the factory a few years ago when it was still S.S.Adams.What a treat that was.Its funny Rod that you talk about "fly in ice cube" as that item was being made that day.S.S.Adams buy boxes of dead flies from a lab.The ice cube is made out of clear plastic and poured into metal square's.While its stil hot a lady with tweezers puts a dead fly in each one.Funny how you see these things all your life and never think of how they are made.

That tour was a day I won't soon forget.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Don, I also grew up on S.S. Adams stuff like the Ball Vase, Jiffy Coin Trick, Magic Coin Block, DeLand Deck, Money Maker, Cups & Balls, Color Vision, Nickles to Dimes and so forth.

I also had a Whoopee Cushion, Plate Lifter, and even had a Joy Buzzer but could never get the guts to use it.

All great stuff, and for a kid of 10-11 years old, just amazing. SETH
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Seth, get that Whoopee Cushion and Joy Buzzer back out!!! You can use it today and have a blast!!! No one would even be looking for something like that and you can experience all those fun times others had "back in the day."

Now...go get 'em!

Mark. Smile
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Don:

Thanks for the info on the FLY IN THE ICE CUBE by SS Adams. The way they make those is pure genius. and quite funny..REAL FLIES !!!!!! Here in Michigan, we have a factory located in Colon Michigan ( Harry Blackstone's winter quarters for many years), its called the ABBOTT'S MAGIC COMPANY . They have been manufacturing magic there for years. Colon is a great place to spend a day or two, as the whole town is based on the magic theme.

Have a good one!

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Don, thanks for the "Fly in the Ice Cube" info. Who knew you could buy dead flies in quantity?

If you also know how they make the Fake Vomit or the Doggy-Doo-Doo gags, please let us know, I have always wondered about that! Smile SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hi Seth:

Hey that brings back memories, I had both the vomit and doggy doo doo too. I had more fun pulling these tricks on my relatives, when we would go visit and have dinner. I am sure my Aunt Bessie hated to see me come over hahahaha SS Adams always had the BEST tricks and gags.

ROD
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Rod,

I've been to Colon.I went to an Abbotts Gettogether a few years ago.I did a lecture on pitching and the outdoor entertainment business.Abbotts is in a small building but still very neat because of its history.I also went to the cemetery in town with all the famous magicians,Blackstone Sr.and Jr.,Don Allen,Ricky Dunn,Monk Watson and many more I can't remember right now.

Fun place...
Don
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Don:

Boy, I wish I could have been to that lecture you did at Colon, I bet there was a packed house that day! Yes, there is ALOT of history in that town.

ROD
Rick Fisher
View Profile
Elite user
Rick Fisher
467 Posts

Profile of Rick Fisher
Don lectured at FAB Magic that year and did a great job! We were very forunate to have him and David Walker leture as well. We now carry complete line of those joke items in our shop...over 100 different ones..come see us!
Rick Fisher, President FAB Magic

"One of the largest magic shops in the world!"

www.fabmagic.com
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
So exactly what is Magic Makers doing and what did they buy?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » S.S. Adams items/Magic Makers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL