The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Out of state offer (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I got an email request to perform my educational assembly program at two schools in another state. It's not a neighboring state. It would probably take half a day to fly there. What would you guys charge? Do I just ask for my performance fee and travel and overnight stay costs? Or make it more for taking a couple days out of my life going and coming back? Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Jim,
For corporate events, I charge full price for travel days because I can't work a show. Schools may or may not have that budget.

My advice is to consider if you want the date(s), how they fit into your current schedule and if you need the income. If you aren't afraid to lose them, quote what it is worth to you. You may be pleasantly surprised. If you don't get them, you won't be upset.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Greetings James,

I would quote them at least three times your rate.

Sometimes, figure out the plane ticket and charge them for it in your quote works the best. So you have control over your own flights - air-miles, departure times and layovers. Do not forget you a travel contract rider. This will go into details about transportation, lodging, meals, equipment shipping, baggage cost and etc...

Best of luck...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, gentlemen. Where else can you get advice like this!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
James,

If you end up driving out there, and have enough time, you can probably book other school shows on the way out and/or back!

Plus, as you'll be passing through anyway, you can offer the schools on the way your normal fee or even a discount as it will be pure profit!

I love to block book like that!

Sincerely,
David
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would charge them your usual fee for three days (because taking the gig means you are not available for three days) plus travel.
Occasionally I will come down on that if the gig is in an interesting area. I did a gig in Abu Dhabi, and I charged them the usual fee. They covered the travel, and I forgot about the lost days. I got a short holiday in a fascinating area. So that's a consideration.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Out of state offer (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL