The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just Starting out Doing Paid shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I am sorry for all the questions I have asked in all the other forums.

I Guess What I am asking is:

1. What are the best openers for Kid $ Adult Show's

2. What are some good Tricks to do in a kids show. What works and what doesn't?

I haven’t done a kids show yet so I don't know what to do. Its not that I am a nit wit its just that I am nervous about doing a kid show.

So once again I am sorry to all of you.
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Keven,
Doing a kids' show WELL is probably the hardest thing you will ever do in magic.

Kids are not like adults; if they see 'something funny', they will let you know about it, in no uncertain terms.

If they don't like something, they will also let you know.

If they do like something, they may never let you know!

That aside, what to do?

I open every kids show with the Miser's Dream. Kids don't seem to think you are a magician unless you can pull a coin from behind their ear -- so I do!

And I finish by giving one of the coins to an audience members and asking her if it is real. When she says 'yes', I say 'you can keep it; I can make more'. Kids get a laugh and the parents are truly impressed! All for a buck!

Sucker tricks are great kids tricks but ALWAYS make sure that YOU and not any of THEM are the butt of the joke! You do not want to -- in any way -- embarrass, humiliate, or ridicule a volunteer or audience member. Ever! For any reason! Period!

There are probably only two rules 'written in stone' for kids' (and adults') magic shows:

Rule 1 is above -- Don't embarrass a volunteer.

Rule 2 is short but difficult -- Be entertaining!
Jemy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Jemy
I had also a question, How long must we take for a close-up show, how many effect ?
Thanks
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Jemy,

Regarding your question about the length of a close-up show...

The answer is..it depends...upon the setting, viewing conditions, whether the audience sitting or standing, whether they are rested or tired, etc. All these things impact the audience's experience and affect the length of the show.

The best answer I can give to your question is simply this: "End your show leaving the audience wanting more...that way they will always invite you back!"

Jim
http://www.success-in-magic.com
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Try and keep your show for children around 45 minutes to an hour...

Remember they still have the Pinata, the cake, and gifts as events planned...

Children eat candy, cake, soda pop etc...and they are restless and wish to interact with their mates at the party..

Yes~ Do leave them wanting more as you depart.

It would help if we already knew a few bits o' business that you do know as of today..

This might help us to see what sort of other "tricks" would fit into your current show.

I would say this to you...as an aid to understanding how to "Entertain" your groups.

Do not just perform "tricks"....

Lay out everything you plan to do and create a story around them....

If you present a message or tell a compelling story this one simple thing will set you apart from most entertainers....

They will remember the story long after the tricks are forgotten...

Do not be apologetic for asking questions...we were all there at one time in our lives....

Many folks do not ask of others..they just go out and hack together "tricks" and self-proclaim themselves "magicians"

Be an 'entertainer" like Cedric instead...truly much more respected these days my young friend..

Be Brave and Be yourself.....~rr
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Keven,

Kids like very visual things - The coloring book is always a hit, Misers Dream like Peter suggested is a good one too. I use a lot of silk magic in my kid shows ..there are lots of effects using silk out there. A trip to the magic shop or even joining a club may be the way to go to get some assistance.

You've received good advice from Peter,Jim and ReyRey. Leave them wanting more! This is an excellent way to build up a client base.

Kids love to laugh and your show doesn't have to be all about magic, include some silly props and jokes. The advice you received from Peter is valuable, never make embarrass the spectator.

Good Luck with your magic Keven. Smile
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
I thank you Guy's and lady.

I guess what I am locking up on is a routine.
I need to sit down and write one.
I just get lost when I sit down.

Its kind of strange I can do magic for people at work, The street, Wal-Mart, Any were
but When it comes down to Getting a show going I don't know what to do,
Maybe its the Money I don't know.

That's why I have left all these post's
I was just trying stop my fear, like maybe one you could say The Magic Word

But like I said I am sorry for bugging you all with All these posts and threads.

I think I am one step closer to getting a show off the ground

Thanks
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Great post I'm at the same level just starting to do paid shows and lots of my questions have been answered here. Good luck!
wassabi_87
View Profile
Loyal user
moscow, idaho
226 Posts

Profile of wassabi_87
Go to the little darlings forum, as top some of the other?? You had, I would charge what you think your worth, charge differently for diff types of shows, if you think your worth fifty bucks an hour, go for it! Good luck
bike during the day,
do magic at night,
and very early the next morning,
homework.
jmm1303
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
49 Posts

Profile of jmm1303
What your worth should be your price!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Just Starting out Doing Paid shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL