The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mimesis Mnemonic (Special Deck) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4949 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Looks like a very smart deck for users of a memo stack!

http://www.mimesis-magic.com/catalog/ite......1513.htm
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1231 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Mmm.... a breather on the 10th, 20th, 30th en 40th place can accomplish almost the same thing for me.
I didn't know the existence of such a deck. However, on the first sight, the advantages are limited in my opinion. The number of the location or the name of the card are the same for a memdeck-user. So it makes no such big difference if the cards are marked with their name or with their locatrion.
Or do I overlook something here?
In any case, worthwhile for doing a little brainstorming here with some memdeck-users.
The trick that is described in the ad is a good idea.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Waterloophai is absolutely right. To a mem-deck user having the stack number or having the cards name is essentially the same. I believe that a marked deck (either kind) is a powerful tool for mem-deck users. But I have not switched over to using it myself yet. Maybe I will some day. Larry Davidson has some great work along these lines.

I contacted the mimesis folks and they will make up a deck marked with the stack numbers for the Aronson stack. Unfortunately I go through a lot of decks and if my working or practice decks are all marked it's going to be a considerable expense which is the main reason I've not yet switched to marked deck work.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1231 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-01-10 09:46, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I believe that a marked deck (either kind) is a powerful tool for mem-deck users. But I have not switched over to using it myself yet. Maybe I will some day.

In former days I worked occasionaly with a marked deck. (the time that Ted Lesley came with his system).
However, now my eyesight does not permit anymore to work with a marked deck.
A weakened eyesight is a fate that the most of us must undergo by aging.
So I would be carefull to build a whole repertoire around marked decks.
One day (hopely not for you) you can confront difficulties in executing your repertoire.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4949 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I love marked decks. A memo/system stack and a marked deck is a huge advantage for a card worker. Killer combination, sure.
matthew_magician_3
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of matthew_magician_3
I don't know if I would like this type of marked deck, I will stick to the originally I can glance at it a know the card lots of practice. I have worked for a long time with the original I don't know?
The Futurist
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of The Futurist
Quote:
On 2010-01-10 09:46, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Waterloophai is absolutely right. To a mem-deck user having the stack number or having the cards name is essentially the same.

I marked up a couple of decks with position-data. One reason for doing so was that it constantly gives me a workout of my stack knowledge - I'm forced to recollect the card from the number each time, regardless of whether the deck is in stack order or shuffled. It's kind of another angle to approach memdeck practice with, though I wouldn't rely purely on it as that would obviate the idea of having a memdeck in the first place - it would simply become a marked deck with funny correspondences!

Quote:
On 2010-01-10 10:58, Waterloophai wrote:
In former days I worked occasionaly with a marked deck. (the time that Ted Lesley came with his system).
However, now my eyesight does not permit anymore to work with a marked deck.
A weakened eyesight is a fate that the most of us must undergo by aging.
So I would be carefull to build a whole repertoire around marked decks.
One day (hopely not for you) you can confront difficulties in executing your repertoire.

You're quite right about not depending on marked decks, of course. I have been blessed with pretty good vision up to this stage of my life, and it shows no signs of abating so far. I am thankful for that. I see the markings as a nice little bonus, so I made them very subtle, as if to remind myself that the deck is intended as a memdeck first and a marked deck second. The marks are a "reserve" feature. They help me out in my home practice, they may get me out of a sticky situation should I screw up in some unintended way, and they can be used in "bonus" effects should the stack be destroyed.

Quote:
On 2010-01-10 11:01, Kjellstrom wrote:
I love marked decks. A memo/system stack and a marked deck is a huge advantage for a card worker. Killer combination, sure.

Indeed! And, doing some memdeck work followed up by marked deck work (after, say, the stack is destroyed, by letting a spectator shuffle) is a very potent concept, I feel. Engineering proceedings, as I mentioned in another post somewhere in "Penny For Your Thoughts" (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=345743&forum=15), so that the memdeck work takes the heat off any notion of a marked deck, only to exploit the markings later on, seems to me to have lots of deceptive potential.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Mimesis Mnemonic (Special Deck) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL