The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Potty over Potter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
So, the 5th Harry Potter Book is out.Any of you fell for the hype and ordered it before it came out?
I notice "used"copies on Amazon.com being offered above Retail List? How come? it's only half recommend shop price anyway on Amazon and when I walked around three book shops locally yesterday(day of release)there were still piles of the book around.

Want to know which character gets killed off?

Howard
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
I hate harry potter lol. I can't see how anyone likes it. Maybe it's just cause I hate to read things that don't interest me at all. I have a bunch of friends who rushed to the stores to get it.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Didn't Ron get killed off? I thought the books were kind of boring.... $10 says she gets writers block and the last 2 books just plain suck.

Lee
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

I'll take that bet Smile
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Did anyone read it?

I got to beet DJ,

Lee
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

What are the wages?
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Okay, I must admit that I have finished reading the book...finished it about three hours ago. My oldest son was quite happy because now, he gets to read it. No, I did not go to the store at midnight to purchase the book. Actually, I got it from the grocery store when I went in there Saturday morning to buy a couple of things. I won't say who got killed, but I will tell you it wasn't Ron...or any of the children in the book.

There are lots of twists and turns in the
book that kept my attention! Good thing today was a slow day at work! Smile (hey, this smilie is kinda cute!)

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I'm fine with kids reading these. They get them interested in reading and nourish their imaginations. The movies are very well done, too. However, the adults that obsess over these books is what scares me. Have these people gone through life never reading anything by Hemingway, Dickens, Wodehouse, Murdoch? I may read a Harry Potter book someday, but I simply can't get motivated to read much contemporary literature while there are still works by Nabokov that elude me. But then again, I'm insane. Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Marko wrote

..Adults that obssess over these books..

Its all part of the "Dumbing down" process I'm afraid.

Have a look at the spelling of two simple words in a couple of the above posts !!

Howard
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I will admit that I enjoy the Harry Potter books. But, I have also read Tolstoy and Homer. I tried reading Victor Hugo, but I didn't "click" with his writing style. I actually read War and Peace for a sophmore English class in high school. I read Gone with the Wind when I was in the 8th grade for a required reading book of the Civil War (got extra credit for finishing it in time to actually give a report). I read The Odyssey by Homer just because I wanted to...it sounded interesting (wasn't it something like "No Man is attacking me!"). I do enjoy contemporary authors like Tom Clancy and John Grisham, but as is said in magic, the classics are called classics for a reason.

My 11-year old is discovering some of the classic science fiction. It is capturing his interest quite well. He has read The Invisible Man about four times. In fact, he dressed up as the Invisible Man for Book Character Dress Up Day at his school and won first prize. Even some of the teachers didn't know who he was supposed to be! Before anyone asks, I used about six rolls of gauze to cover his face and neck, and gloves for his hands. He was working on 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but I'm fairly certain that he will take a break from that to read the new Harry Potter book.

I think anything that will help put these kids' noses back into books and away from the television and video games is a good idea! My oldest reads every day, and my youngest and I read together every day.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-06-23 18:25, djvirtualreality wrote:
What are the wages?

Our "Soles"......

Lee
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

lol, how can you trade something that isn't yours? Smile
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
I read the potter book, and liked it very much...I think you can read it on different levels and that's what makes it so interesting for kids and adults alike.
-Plato986 (that's me)
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Quote:
On 2003-06-24 04:00, marko wrote:
but I simply can't get motivated to read much contemporary literature while there are still works by Nabokov that elude me.

Well, that's pretty short sighted, isn't it? There is some fantastic contemporary writing at the moment. And just because a book by Nabokov eludes you, it doesn't mean that that it's any good (note - I'm not saying that is isn't good, it may well be.).

The Harry Potter books are very good. They use classic structures and, especially the new book, are wonderfully plotted.

ML
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Quote:
On 2003-06-24 05:10, hkwiles wrote:

Marko wrote

..Adults that obssess over these books..

Its all part of the "Dumbing down" process I'm afraid.

What is more frightening is that the title of the first HP book was changed from Philosopher's Stone to Sorcerer's Stone because the publishers feared that the intellectual connotations of the former would deter US readers.

ML
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
My 12 year old just bought the video (sorry Margarette not a book) tonight 'Chamber' of something or other! Quite surprised how good it is. Just wish all the musical scores these days wouldn't sound so much like 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'!! I believe Ms. Rowling came about this idea in a Café in Scotland, - wouldn't mind a visit there if they will serve me the same stuff!!

Tony.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
Well, that's pretty short sighted, isn't it? There is some fantastic contemporary writing at the moment. And just because a book by Nabokov eludes you, it doesn't mean that that it's any good (note - I'm not saying that is isn't good, it may well be.).

I'm not denying that it isn't shortsighted nor am I saying there isn't any good contemporary literature. I'm just stating why I lack motivation to read it. And if it's by Nabokov, yes, it will be good.

Quote:
Just wish all the musical scores these days wouldn't sound so much like 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'!!

Funny you should mention. The score for the first Harry Potter movie got lambasted by some (not undeservedly) for sounding VERY much like the score to another Steven Speilberg movie above a certain little alien visitor. No theft was involved though - both scores were by John Williams.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm not so sure the works of Tolstoy and his peers are appropriate for young children.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
I just read review said the books were not particular good as regards characters,plots and the rest. Not in the same league as the Roald Dahl books.

Howard
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
Quote:
On 2003-06-26 04:17, hkwiles wrote:
I just read review said the books were not particular good as regards characters,plots and the rest. Not in the same league as the Roald Dahl books.

Howard

Roald Dahl can get a bit wearisome after a while, I think I've read 6 or 7 of his books aloud to my children. I've also read the first four Harry Potter books aloud, as well as The Hobbit and the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy.
The HP books are good, fun books. The are not children's classics, like Wind in the Willows or Charlotte's Web, but I think they are as strong as The Wizard of Oz (I'm talking books here, not movies).
Harry Potter books succeeds so well with today's children because they have a contemporary feel. Oz's Dorothy has become quite dated.
While you may complain about the "dumbing down" of popular culture, Rowling has gotten very young children to take on a 870 page novel. Many of them will likely go on to other books with more confidence in their reading skills.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Potty over Potter? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL