The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Potty over Potter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
While you may complain about the "dumbing down" of popular culture, Rowling has gotten very young children to take on a 870 page novel. Many of them will likely go on to other books with more confidence in their reading skills.

Amen.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
The plot idea came to her on the train from Scotland.
By the time she was at Kings x she had the plot and characters for HP 1

Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2003-06-24 05:10, hkwiles wrote:
Marko wrote

..Adults that obssess over these books..

Its all part of the "Dumbing down" process I'm afraid.

Have a look at the spelling of two simple words in a couple of the above posts !!

Howard

It's been said that there are great stories that are just for adults, but there are no great stories that are just for children. I consider myself to be a fairly literate guy and I love these books.

As for the "dumbing down" process, I doubt that reading a Harry Potter book has ever contributed to making anyone less intelligent or a worse speller. What possible negative effect could these books have on adults? Adults who already enjoy reading will continue to do so after reading these books (whether they enjoy this series or not). Adults who (sadly) do not enjoy reading, yet choose to tackle these books, will AT WORST walk away from the experience having read one more book than they otherwise would have. At best, they may succumb to the infectious nature of literature and become avid readers like you and I.

Blame reality TV, blame video games, blame the pablum in the movie theaters and on the radio, blame any of the multitude of MINDLESS amusements we have for the "dumbing down" process. But don't blame a book, just because you feel it's beneath you.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Potty over Potter? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL