The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello to everyone from Stu in London, UK (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Hey all you guys and girls.

My name's Stuart Turner and I've recently discovered this oasis of magic.

How I wish this site was around when I first got into magic about 22 years ago. Actually, I wish the internet was around then. Back when I first got the bug, the only real 4 places to buy magic in the UK were Davenports, International Magic Studio, Repro and Supreme. Ahhh the good old days.

Very briefly (or maybe not so) for those that are interested and can't sleep, I got hooked at about 15 yrs old. Got into kids' magic, close up and then found my calling in comedy stage magic. My best friend at school became my backstage technician and we eventually formed a comedy double act. We worked this though school, college and our day jobs and almost went full time pro. Our act had all sorts in it - magic, illusions, juggling, unicycling, and we wrote, directed and performed in a handful of our own full evening stage shows for a few years.

Our act was called Magic Incorporated and we worked all round the UK including appearing in a couple of the Magic Circle Christmas shows as guests (we never joined); the London Palladium and Her Majesty's Theatre in big charity shows; and probably one of my most memorable shows at the IBM stage competition in Scarborough around 1992. This was when our Pendragon sub trunk spoof raised the roof with the loudest cheer and roar of laughter I've ever heard, in front of a couple of thousand of our peers. The write up in the Budget afterwards had the reviewer very kindly saying - "the best sight gag of the convention".

We stopped performing around 1997 as our day job took over - we both started and run a media production company, however I still enjoy watching, magically jamming and staying connected to the art.

It's been about 13 years since I've properly performed on stage and am seriously thinking about coming back with a solo act.

I've been mulling over a few ideas for routines with a close friend of mine who back then wrote for us and directed some of our routines. This site is an amazing resource and I'm sure it won't be long before I have a script in my hand looking for venues to perform at.

Well, I'm off now to research for some ideas and hope to chat to some of you soon.

Cheers for now,

Stu
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Stu Turner,

I really enjoyed reading your introduction. Sounds like you'll have a fun act when you start again. You've got a lot of experience to draw on.

See you in the forums.

- Mary Mowder
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Welcome Stu. It'll be nice to have your input. Enjoy! -Josh
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Well welcome Stu to the Café', sounds like you had your fair share of the stage yourself. Well glad that you have found your PASSION once again and so let the magic be your Harmony.

Rick Anderson
With out magic-Nothing Changes
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Jv
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jv
Welcome 'Stu Turner'!

Enjoy your stay!

Jv
Guillotine+ASYLUM
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm already finding myself sitting up half the night reading through loads of random posts on here.

:)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
In your first few weeks it helps to keep a timer near the computer.

- Mary Mowder
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Good advice Mary. Although I'd probably still find myself saying "Just one more topic or one more thread" though.

:)
chris young
View Profile
New user
Greatstone, Kent, England
12 Posts

Profile of chris young
I know what you mean Stu, Hi and welcome I'm new here and read too much. I like the intro and you would probably help me out in the future. Speak to you soon, chris.
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Hey Chris. Welcome to another Brit. Happy to help if ever you need any advice. Stu
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Stu-

Welcome!!

Great Introduction and thanks for the Insights

I too had a few years off but this site has so much great Info already posted that you
can find yourself thinking about ideas that will keep you interested here for years!!

Get back into performing-The Buzz of a live audience is still hard to beat

Cheers
MillsJW
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of MillsJW
Welcome Stu-
I find that one of the best resources on this board is the "mini" reviews of props and effects. They are spread all over, but worth the time to search out. Not only do you find the good, bad and the ugly, but you find lots of suggestions and variations for existing and new effects.

Enjoy!
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
Hi Stu. Might find you here some night.
You never know when I'm on the computer as I work on it too.
Zendor
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Zendor
Welcome! Sounds like our kind of performer!
Stu Turner
View Profile
New user
London
79 Posts

Profile of Stu Turner
Hey guys,

May chat to some of you soon. You're totally right Brent - you can't beat the buzz of standing up in front of a huge live audience and know that a well timed gag can have the whole place laughing!

Am putting together a new act as we speak and hope to be performing again in the summer.

Stu
david abel
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of david abel
Hi Stu,

Your plans sound interesting. As stated in my post, am working on a comedy act with a magician friend - we are looking at the comedy circuit at the moment, you certainly have to be disciplined in the 5minutes you are alloted. We are more or less there with the rehearsing, and look to be putting our names down on some waiting lists soon...as they say watch this space. Good luck with your rehearsing.
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
Nice to see you here Stu. I have always found UK magic to be different in a nice way. I just got back from the UK a few months ago and had a great time. I was amazed at how so many towns have paranormal tours. I did not know if they have performers that followed that line too. Good luck.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hello to everyone from Stu in London, UK (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL