The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wolf's Groove Tube (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2010-08-24 20:23, stempleton wrote:
Been waiting for a performance vid. Anyone like to share theirs? My searches have not proved fruitful. Anyone?

I don't think you will ever find many performances videos of ANY Wolf Magic items. I think I have seen maybe one or two EVER anywhere on the internet.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I've only used it for a 10 year old show once, and I borrowed a routine from "the muppet show". You start by explaining that the magic word is 'here' (or some other fairly common word) and when the kids hear you say the magic word, they should all clap once and that will make the magic happen. Having gotten this clear, you begin your patter "Well hello!! Hey! It's a pleasure to be here!" Kids clap, ball flies out. You act all surprised then annoyed and say "No! Not now!" Replace the ball. You go on with the patter but that pesky word just keeps popping up and the kids keep clapping & the ball keeps flying. ie: "I'll put it back in here" "Cant your hear me?" "Now look here!" "Here we go," etc. Finally in frustration you cork the top and say you'll remove it when the right 'here' is about to be said. After that it's pretty much the same.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Quote:
On 2012-03-02 12:30, Kevinr wrote:
I don't think you will ever find many performances videos of ANY Wolf Magic items. I think I have seen maybe one or two EVER anywhere on the internet.

That's a good point! They DO seem to be a bit camera shy don't they?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2012-03-02 12:35, The Mighty Fool wrote:
I've only used it for a 10 year old show once, and I borrowed a routine from "the muppet show". You start by explaining that the magic word is 'here' (or some other fairly common word) and when the kids hear you say the magic word, they should all clap once and that will make the magic happen. Having gotten this clear, you begin your patter "Well hello!! Hey! It's a pleasure to be here!" Kids clap, ball flies out. You act all surprised then annoyed and say "No! Not now!" Replace the ball. You go on with the patter but that pesky word just keeps popping up and the kids keep clapping & the ball keeps flying. ie: "I'll put it back in here" "Cant your hear me?" "Now look here!" "Here we go," etc. Finally in frustration you cork the top and say you'll remove it when the right 'here' is about to be said. After that it's pretty much the same.

Love the "WORD" idea! Thanks for sharing!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
To keep the wand from falling out of the tube, put a thin rubber band around the middle of the tube next to the hole. Pull down on the band when the wand is inserted. I use dental elastic bands. Hope this will be of help to someone.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2012-03-04 16:18, Dan Ford wrote:
To keep the wand from falling out of the tube, put a thin rubber band around the middle of the tube next to the hole. Pull down on the band when the wand is inserted. I use dental elastic bands. Hope this will be of help to someone.

I never had this problem, as I hold the tube vertically at all times. I have found that there are a lot of things you can do with Groove Tube, the most important thing is to work with it, and to understand the angles. For instance, you should hold the tube very close to the body when inserting your finger to fire the ball in the air. If held too far from the body, the kids see your finger going into the tube.
The standard cups and balls load at the end is, in my opinion, the best way to finish the effect. You can end up with a ball of a different colour, or even a random object, falling from the tube. A piece of fruit, like a plum is my favourite. Simply dump the tube, and munch into the fruit, as you survey your audience, with a suitable expression of surprise/delight.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Well, this is an old post but I have a few ideas. I tried this trick a few times a few years ago but kinda forgot about it, now I'm going to start using it again tomorrow. I like a lot of the ideas presented in this thread, and will use some of it in a modified way. For the final load, I am going to try various ideas and see what works best. But 1 idea is to drop a green ball at top and release a realist plastic lemon from the bottom as a gag/surprise. Then try again but an apple pops out bottom ( I have a realistic vinyl/rubber apple that folds up and pops open). Or I can just do the red ball at some point, though I'm guessing that won't get much reaction but ends the trick. To produce the fruit I can also say, hey, this thing is jammed up and pop a lemon out one and then the apple on the other, or really any silly gag prop. I just tried a small width and length spring snake loaded in to the cork side before the trick starts, then it pops out into my face, that should get a good laugh.
For those who don't want to palm the plastic ball, a sponge ball works, it doesn't look the same as the plastic ball, but if you display it like a solid ball I'm guessing nobody will care or say anything, at least not the younger kids. I like the clown nose idea that someone mentioned, and the idea of putting eyes on them, but I'm going to say something like I just bought a special red ball to practice juggling, red is my lucky color, then when green pops out I say green is my unlucky color.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
This is my first post for many years. I've been chatting about the Groove Tube with a UK magician, and re-read some of this thread. I use the Groove Tube all the time in my shows, have now performed it easily over 1000 times. In the end, obtaining fresh fruit (of the perfect size) for every performance was a pain, so I use the C&B final load move now, with a different coloured ball.

Nobody has ever mentioned the noise of the mechanism that fires the ball in the air, nobody has ever spotted the final load, and it doesn't get "oohs and aahs", but it DOES get a big laugh, every time! That's because the kids aren't expecting it, and I pretend to be as amazed as them that it changed colour.

It's a superb bit of kit, and small. Built solidly, mine is still in almost mint condition!

All round great reactions, and something the kids haven't seen before. Now that Wolf's Magic is back in business, hopefully Chance will make some more of these sometime soon (when he's not playing guitar or making vent puppets!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wolf's Groove Tube (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL