The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Motivation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
So I was laying in bed the other night and pondering along with allot of other things what it is that brought me to perform sideshow, or even more what my motivation is. There are many different types of sideshow and it seemed to me that every one would have to have a different motivation.

Now, I was not born into a sideshow family, and I don't perform sideshow because I am a follower of Satan, and he longs to see me sacrifice my blood and pain to him, and I am no longer a Christian so that isn't my motivation either, and contrary to what my characters beliefs are, I think that the Indian fakirs were just using it to gain support for themselves or for their belief system, and not since I was angst riden youth have I been motivated to be a social freak.

So what is it that brings me to perform the acts I perform, or more importantly why do I feel that it is something that I need to share with people?

It is a lost art of performance, yes. I love that fact and it is a strong part of what motivated me and my partner to build the show we did, but its still not what motivates me as a person.

I guess the only thing I can find would be ultimate self empowerment, the fact that my life and pain at that moment is completely in my own hands, and I am defying what society says is normal or physically possible.

I guess what I am interested in is what other peoples motivations are for performing the Sideshow Arts?
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
If it was lost, we wouldn't be doing it.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Habit.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Habits are things we do, without thinking of them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
Harley, I meant lost to the general populous. It is people like us that are bringing it back. Maybe, almost lost is a better phrasing.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It's been around, as long as there have been people. It's just going through a phase change, finally adjusting to some of the changes brought by mass-communication.

That mass communication dawned at the Columbian Exposition, is a sad comment on how long it's taking to move.

That's ok. We'll just do everything the way we did last year. Nobody will notice. And they didn't. And that's the complaint.

Martin, kick Danny for me? He knows why.

www.bladewalker.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2447 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I've noted, over the thirty-some episodes of BALLYCAST, that your question is answered in a different way be every interviewee - and sometimes in more than one way each.

It becomes even more interesting when you move up a level, from "why do you do it?" to "where do you want to go with it?" - is doing sideshow acts something you plan to continue to master and develop as a more-or-less permanent career? Is it "something you're doing for right now?" Is it something you're doing to show off in one way or another, or is it something you're doing to explore something in your psyche?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Motivation, money and women,,, the only guy here prepared to tell the truth.
Ken.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2010-01-09 23:13, Harley Newman wrote:
Habits are things we do, without thinking of them.

That's right. Confidentially, I can no longer pin down, clearly, what my motivations are. After 35+ years I just 'like doing these things.'
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2915 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
To quote Melvin Burkhart (and then to distort the quote):

That's a hard way to make an easy living (and easy laying!)

I will chime in on this later. Right now, I am swamped raising the dead for fun and profit.

Quote:
On 2010-01-10 03:09, Kondini wrote:
Motivation, money and women,,, the only guy here prepared to tell the truth.
Ken.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Kudos , the challenge , but mostly the desire to be different ....
Mark
E.O.I
Martin_Ling
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Martin_Ling
Thanks for your responses everyone. Harley, I never need a reason to kick Dan. But, will do.
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Interesting coincidence I was think about the same thing last night. I had taken my "what is it" to a small goth/burlesque carnival and had time to write down some ideas.

My first reason for getting into this was to preserve a art form that needs to be learned in person. And there are very few people who teach and none of us is getting any younger.

And I thought that maybe it would make me "cool" but not I am still the big goofy guy that I was, just now I am a big goofy guy who eats fire. Thankfully I am fine with that.

However I think the most important idea is that it is a challenge. A challenge to the performer and also a challenge to the audience. Maybe seeing something thought impossible will help them go and do something they thought was impossible.

Michael
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Mine was to prove the bullsh***ers out there as what they are. I specialize(d) in pierced weightlifting. When first saw a pierced weightlifting routine, I immedtiately was able to point out the lies. The thin little rings, the plastic chains (painted to look like metal), and the obvious gaffed lightweight props... it was all too transparent (for me). I said to myself "I can do better".

Later on, a different motivation came to me: to be the BEST and to get my name in the record books....
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
rubberboy89
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of rubberboy89
For me its to try to keep a very sick art form alive. My interests are in the tented sideshow not club performances. I am well aware that all things must change and evolve over time but I still believe that there is still a place for the tented sideshow.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I enjoy entertaining, and sideshow offers opportunities, challenges, and options that I do not get from acting.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Jon Royer
View Profile
New user
Warminster, PA
70 Posts

Profile of Jon Royer
This is interesting. I think my motivation comes from two things mainly.

1. As a kid I was lucky enough to see sideshow stunts performed. Seeing the impossible 10 feet from my eyes. Someone who can breathe fire, walk on swords, escape from anything and even have a rope tied around his neck and have two big guys pull on opposite ends like tug-o-war and come out unscathed among so many other feats. He was not only invincible but also very funny and entertaining. To me it was like seeing Michael Jordan and then wanting to play basketball.

2. After I was able to perform magic and later sideshow stunts, I felt the energy from the people when you make them smile or laugh or gasp while you entertain them and it is a feeling that I have yet to replicate elsewhere.

-Jon
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
1. (blush)

2. It's true. The audience can give you more energy than you'll ever be able to use.

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yep and the women too !
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I think I'm siding with Ken on this one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Motivation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL