The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Cigarette purse (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
I have been practicing magic off and on since the late 1980's when I got a Houdini magic kit for my birthday, but have been practicing and performing seriously for the last 8 years. I used to be of the mindset that "bigger and flashier was better" when it came to magic. I felt that the "pick a card" card tricks were passe and that what spectators really wanted to see was gimmicks - things that required little skill to perform but looked amazing and impossible once performed. I used to walk around with my pockets stuffed full of crap that I now look at as ridiculous. It got so bad that I actually began carrying my stuff around in a backpack. I spent thousands of dollars on ever-more elaborate props and gimmicks claiming to "blow your audience away". It got to the point when I realized that I was carrying around too much stuff and I had more gimmicks and props than I knew what to do with and I began to feel bad because I was moving further and further away from the "art" as I spent less and less time practicing sleights or reading and spent more and more time looking for the next big gimmick.

Over the last year I have been on a personal mission with my magic. I wanted to get back to the basics and work on my technique. I also wanted to put the "packs small, plays big" line to the test and see just how small I could go while still being able to put on a great close-up act as well as be prepared for any impromptu situation that may arise. I began plowing through my stuff and cutting out what I did not need. I set my eyes on being able to fit an entire routine (aside from a deck of bikes and a sharpie which would not fit in the purse but were essential) in an old cigarette purse we had lying around (neither my wife nor I smoke, and I truly do not know where the purse came from, it has just been sitting around our house for about five years now, lol). I was able to reduce my load down to a small number of things: 5 Kennedy silver dollars, a set of Sankey 'Ear Plugs', a box of wood matches, a tiny notepad, a large paperclip (for Sankey's 'Paperclipped' routine which still plays HUGE whenever I use it), a small ITR, and a 'Color Monte' set (I don't go anywhere without this packet trick - it floors everybody). These items all fit comfortably within the small cigarette purse (aside from the bikes and the sharpie of course) and with them I am able to perform a 30-45 miunte closeup routine that gets huge reactions (the best that I have ever gotten) and the best part is that I am not forced to lug around huge props or that God-forsaken backpack anymore and I am still able to put on a professional-quality show with items that fit nicely in the breast pocket of my jacket.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fine. If it works... that is great.

Y'know I hear guys complain that they only know card tricks and therefore can't do a close-up show. BALONEY... I can't tell you how many performers we see at the Magic Castle that kill, with 'just a deck of cards.'
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Really cool! I recently bought a "Strolling Pouch" from The Ambitious Card" & was pleased to find a couple of extra slim, tiny pockets, one on each side, that can hold a sharpie & a pen. You might experiment with sewing a piece of elastic onto one side of the case. But irregardless, it's a very cool idea, what a neat way to "re-cycle" a cigarette purse. Smile

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Thanks Sir Richard, it works like a charm. Recently I've been tinkering with the idea of turning the cigarette purse into a minature change bag so that it could serve a more magical purpose.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I did some shopping at Dollar Tree, yesterday and found some great holders, for guys who want to carry small props with them. I found digital camera cases, with two zipper compartments - the larger compartment holds a deck of cards, with room for a few more things. They have a wide belt loop, so they can be held snugly on your belt.

Some stores may still have PDA cases with belt clips, which can hold a loose deck of cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Cigarette purse (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL