The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Koz,

Who makes wireless mics with battery powered receivers? How much are they in comparison to the AC powered variety?

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
There are lots of manufactuers, search the net.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Koz, did you get an amp? What kind did you get? How do you think a Fender Amp Can compares to a Crate Taxi?

Thanks.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Doug Conn
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Doug Conn
Re: http://www.hisonic.net/SH120B.htm
>>> I don't know what to think?

Ted, I have one of these. For the $$$ it's not bad (drawbacks = no plug in for extra audio/music and no storage space for the attached/recharger cord).

I've been using it off and on—more "off" lately; the security at Dutch Alley told me "no amplification." Jury is still out for me, though, I'm leaning toward the "no amp" approach but it sure is handy when you're feeling drained (or when it's motorcycle week!).

Anyhay, when ya come to town, you can give it a look over.

Conn
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Doug,

Is 15 watts enough power to be heard clearly? Does it distort your voice at higher volumes? I thought most of the amps were 30 or 50 amps. Thanks.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Crate Taxi and the Fender Amp Can?

Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hi Jim,

I have a Fender Amp Can and it is great for what it is. Small, portable, self-contained, battery-powered, and fairly clean sounding.

The Crate is the better of the two from what I hear (from folks who know better than I) but I have no personal experience.

Best,
Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Danny's alive!!!

Good to hear form you dude!

koz
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Hey Danny, good to see ya back!
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey Danny! I thought you had been kidnapped and held for ransom! I’ve missed your wisdom! Good to see you back.

Oh and to the topic…when I use a sound system it is an Anchor Audio Minivox PA with wireless mike set-up. It is rugged and inexpensive, can have a Walkman hooked up for music, and your voice can be set to voice over the music. It is clear (without distortion) enough and has enough projection for about 150-ish people outside. Do a bit better inside. Down side is that it is about six more pounds of weight for you to lug about!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Dan and Harry. Do you guys have an opinion/preference between VHF and UHF wireless mikes? I got my eye on a cheap VHF lapel mike.

I shared a pitch over the weekend and my partner had a big sound system and it helped us stop people.

Thanks.

Jim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have been using sound systems for outdoor shows for 20 years. I have owned over a dozen wireless mike outfits. I still own about eight of them that I use for various purposes.

I also have three different PA units.

Here are a few things I have learned:
  • When purchasing a wireless mike, don't just go for the cheapest thing you can find. Get a UHF unit. Make sure it is a "true diversity" unit. You will have fewer dropouts with that.

• Find someone who knows about microphones and let him or her help you select a good one. If you buy a unit from some place like Radio Shack, chances are there will be several more around you on the same frequency. Most of my units have adjustable frequencies, so I don't get caught in a bind with someone else on the same frequency I am on.

• If you buy cheap, you will almost always have a bad sounding, unreliable microphone. Have a spare. Carry extra batteries.

• Don't try to use the tone controls of the amplifier to overcome your vocal deficiencies. That is, if you have a squeaky voice, don't try to compensate by adding lots of bass. All you will do is muddy your sound up.

• Put your speaker where it won't feed into your microphone. If you don't, you will almost always have feedback. Feedback will run a crowd off almost as fast as loud noise will attract one.

• A microphone is like a musical instrument. Don't assume that just because you have one, you know how to use it. It takes practice and hard work to learn what makes a microphone tick.

• Don't use amplification unless you absolutely must. A few months of vocal lessons will help you learn to project. It isn't that difficult. It's not the same as shouting.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I'm no expert in voice projection, but I know I've ruined my voice from doing shows without amplification. As I mentioned before, I've used a yellow taxi crate amp here on the streets and I've found it very good, powerful and enough for a big crowd. It's a bit heavy though, but I am not mobile at my pitch, so moving around is no problem for me.

I plug a CD player and my wireless mic receiver into it. I have access to an electrical outlet for both lights and the PA system. My busking happens in the evenings.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
In a situation like JoJo's, where amplification IS a must, I would probably use my Fender Portasound 150. It plugs into the mains, has plenty of inputs for mics and CD players, and has a pair of external speakers that can be put up on stands. This gives excellent coverage, and keeps the speakers out of your way.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I have purchased both the $35 model from ebay and the Minivox system. Spend the money folks!!! While I did not need the system, my hat doubled by having one. People that could not see everything still stay just to hear the jokes. And more noise = bigger crowd = more money.

While I don't remember off the top of my head where I got it from, I was able to get the full Minivox (wireless + rechargeable + headset + shipping) for $500.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
How about an inexpensive Pignose?

Jim
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Probably would work for small crowds. Being that it is small you might want to put it on some sort of stand unless you want the sound hitting everyone's knee caps.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You might be able to put the Pignose on a Eureka base or similar music-type stand. It has the strap knobs so a chunk of thick leather might work to hold it down without drilling into it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Is the Pignose sound reasonably clear? Or does it have an ugly sound to it? The Pignose is so cheap, it may be a good "first amp" for me, and give me a bigger sound without breaking the bank till I can upgrade.

Jim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Consider what the Pignose is intended for. The Pignose was designed about 30 years ago as an indoor practice amp for bass players. It was never intended to be used as a PA amplifier. Some people use them as indoor amps for trade show booths. Once you get about 10 feet from them, they are basically useless.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Bill, won't go that way. I might be able to get a new Mipro with battery, recharger, and wireless lapel mike for $300. Does that sound like a good deal? I don't know how much they usually go for.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Sound System (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL