The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Show me a trick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jiayi
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of jiayi
So someone just found out you are a magician and asks you to show him a trick. What would you do? Do you show him a trick or would you say no? Understand everyone could be a potential client or a referral so I think it is important to show them your A game. Just curious what other working pros' take on this.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Always have coins on me and it's easier to carry IT all the time now with a Tarantula.
Otherwise I like to have one of the newest gizmos to try out on actual earthlings. This week it's Mojoe and Picasso Bands (as soon as they arrive).
Don't usually carry cards but I made an exception for Color Fusion.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
-Charles Schulz
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
I think there is a much deeper underlying question here than what tricks or props you carry on you at any given time.

I am of the philosophy...at this moment in time...that I will not show someone a trick just because they found out I am a magician and asked for one.

To drop a pretty cliche anaoly: If you find out someone is a mechanic you don't ask them to fix a car: or ask a doctor to cure an illness etc just to prove they are what who they say they are.

I love performing. But there is a time and a place. I do not at this point in my "career" feel I need to carry a deck of cards or any "magic" on me at all times. I refuse to be ready at the drop of a dime to put on a show for someone who probably does not really care or who is intending for me to prove something to them rather than seeking entertainment.

This feeling, as many others seem to do, may change tomorrow.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

I forgot to add that I am really intrested in hearing other thoughts on this aspect of it...

Not what tricks you show them...but WHY you do or do not.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think by definition of a magician, one should have the ability to perform at all times. This is not to say one HAS to perform. If we are magicians, then by nature we should have the ability to perform anything at any time? That is the perception of what a magician does.

We also can not rush to the conclusion that a person is asking just to annoy you or just to see if they can figure stuff out. In many cases they have never seen a real magician that close before. Magic and magicians can be a very curious thing and people are curious about what we do. Also, they may be genuine in their interest to see magic. They may not mean any harm at all. Not always is a person asking up to no good. We can never assume that.

Now the cliche about the mechanic can not really apply here. Sure you would not ask a mechanic to fix your car to prove he is a mechanic. However, in magic I do not think they are asking you to prove it. Remember that unlike a mechanic, we are entertainers. It is our goal to entertain people. A mechanic does not have that responsibility nor does a doctor.

Like anything, we have to feel out the situation. You can always turn something down if you feel the person asking is nnot genuine. In many cases, they are not causing any harm at all. In this case, I am always happy to show them a simple effect or quick routine.

By doing so, I am marketing myself and getting a chance to connect and network with someone. We can exchange names and possibly a business card. I never lose the opportunity to meet another prospect for my work.

I also will not turn down an opportunity to share magic with someone else. This not not mean becoming a magic stalker. I never cram magic at somesone. However, there are many times and opportunities for all magicians to make that little difference.

I was in line a few times and a girl in front of me was crying or upset. It is very easy to do a simple magic trick just to make them smile or giggle. It may last 30 seconds, but the kid and the parent will really thank you for it. I think this is something all magicians can do and learn from.

I am a firm believer that anyone and everyone is a potential prospect for the services you provide. If so, then why not open yourself to favorable opportunities when they present themselves.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

CAN you perform at all times?
Sure, we all know hundreds of impromptu tricks and jokes.

The question here is SHOULD you?

I have have held many "titles" in my life...magician being the only one where I have been called upon to "perform" upon declaration of that fact.

Oh, you're a chef...well done.

Oh, you're a janitor...neat.

Oh, you're a pianist...sounds nice.

Oh, you're a doctor...you must have a lot of patience.

Oh, you're a magician...show me a trick.

I have found that by saying no, it leaves them truly "wanting more" even though they never got anything to begin with.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I explained a lot of why that happens in my above post. I believe it is the nature of what we do and the perception of what a magician is in the mind of the lay person. We entertain. A person knows that a chef can not cfreate a meal for them right there. However a magician (in their own mind) has the ability to perform magic anywhere and at any time. I think the perception is there that we have this ability.

I do not always think being asked is a bad thing. Once again, you must weight the situation out. If the person feels genuine, then showing them a little something can have a benefit for you and for them.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Make the most of it ... business card trick. Either a prediction written "just for them" on the back of your card, or the old (I forget the name) simple "switcheroo" where a blank card changes as it passes thru your hand into a printed business card.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Whenever I perform in front of the mirror, I always give myself a standing ovation,
and it's still boring.

I thought it curious that this topic was in the "Business" section but now I get it.

Do I get more work by acting foolishly in public and making strangers laugh for a few minutes?
Absolutely.

I have no "A game" or "B game". If its's not appropriate, or I don't feel like it, I don't do it. But I rarely pass up an opportunity to meet new people, test new material and spread a little good will as an artist. The business part pretty much takes care of itself after that.
-Charles Schulz
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I agree with Kyle, but each to his own. Personally speaking, I have done the Balducci Levitation if I can get the right angle on it or have used items nearby to make magic, such as napkins for spongeball routines, coins for vanishing and appearing, string or paper.

I also have done mathmatical magic for those who can comprehend the instructions and follow them. Seeing the reaction of the people is beautiful and most appreciate the time you took to entertain them.

I did get a couple of bookings from something like this, but I do it mostly for the enjoyment.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
722 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I hear it all the time "Do you a trick"..my mind is saying ""Dance Monkey". I have stopped carrying cards and such with me. Though I am in the process of adding a business card trick to be in my wallet at all times for that moment. Also, I think it is very important for someone who calls themselves a "magician" to have a working knowledge of impromptu magic.

Charlie
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
My method has been: always show something.

My thinking on it is that, "It costs me nothing." I mean, maybe, what, two minutes of my life to bring someone joy? No problemo for me.

And, this is just my opinion of course, but I feel that I do need to prove myself. If I were say a doctor, chef, mechanic, etc, odds are I wouldn't be in business (for long, anyways) if I wasn't any good (lets hope so on the Doctor scenario, lol. But if I say, "magician" and don't show them anything, I think when talking to someone else they'll say, "Yeah , I met a magician but I have no idea if he's any good." Why not prove it right off the bat? I much rather have them say, "Omg, I met a magician and he showed me this awesome thing! Maybe we could use him at our event?"

Just my quick thoughts,

jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Bravo Jamie

After all, people don't encounter a magician every day.
Why not make it memorable?
-Charles Schulz
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
I always carry my Silent Assasin Wallet and in there I carry a 20 minute show.. besides.. cards are my second wallet..
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
(indignantly) "Trick?!?"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
What do you want to be perceived as a "highly-valued professional" or a "guy that knows some tricks"?

The simple fact that they said "trick" shows a total mis-understanding of the service that is provided by a professional. Acting on this request only reinforces the low value they are placing on you.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-01-14 21:52, Scott Burton wrote:
What do you want to be perceived as a "highly-valued professional" or a "guy that knows some tricks"?

The simple fact that they said "trick" shows a total mis-understanding of the service that is provided by a professional. Acting on this request only reinforces the low value they are placing on you.

ditto...
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
696 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I always carry some items with me like mis-made bill, $2 to $1, and some coins, but the most effective thing I carry and use is a three card monte where the chosen card (which is on a different color back) changes to my business card when turned over by the spectator. They get to keep this and they probably will not throw it away since it is the same shape as a playing card and has a card-back printed on the back. I have been booked from this marketing method.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Scott brings up an interesting point and I want to thank him for that. However, I think that most people in general will say “trick” not because they are trying to be mean or trying to degrade us. The simple point is that not many folks have ever really talked with or worked with a magician before. Many have seen one on TV or maybe at a festival. They get a perception in their mind as to what they think magic is about and what we do. I do not think they are doing it to be rude.

If that is the case, then can’t we learn to educate people? I do so in my marketing all the time. It is a way in which to get suspects and prospects to know who I am, what I am about and what makes me the professional I am. Often times their first questions to me seem uneducated. I know most of this is because they have never dealt with a magician before. I then work and educate them and through the process build a relationship with them.

So if someone in public asks me to perform a “trick”, I am not sure I can always find fault with that. I can not assume they are doing so to “place a low value” on me. They may be saying that because they are not yet educated. I think we can educate them a bit and have fun in the process. I think this is a natural course of action in the line of work we do.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Show me a trick... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL