The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Show me a trick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
It depends who is asking really. Context is everything...

J
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is indeed. Every situation is different.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
In one of his books Richard Osterlind recommends not automatically doing tricks for people, to build up respect (but he does do tricks ("effects") for people).

In his lecture and lecture notes Jeff McBride recommends ALWAYS doing magic for people. Magician 24/7. He considers part of his personal discipline as a magician to ALWAYS do magic if he is asked, even if he doesn't feel like it. In relation to this he says "the magicians who get paid the most do the most shows" and considers every imromptu cards from the mouth or thumbtip trick as a show that makes him a better magician than he was.

If I am asked sincerely, I always do something. If I'm at my day job and some kid is just killing time I may or may not, depending on how I feel. If I feel inspired, I'll just do cards from the mouth or the magic wishing rainbow, or something else, even if no one asks; the vast majority of people really appreciate it and those few that don't usually put up with me and then we can change the subject and do something else.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Christophe Rossi
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Christophe Rossi
It is funny to found this topic in the business part ...

It is actually difficult for everyone to realise that doing magic is how we make money and that it has a value ...
I also feel sometimes tired to listen anytime show me somethings just because I am a magician ...

But I also believe that in life giving is it a nice things and sharing also ...
I still do some magic to stranger time to time ...
I never perform in that occasion anythings from my repertoir that I use when I get pay but I still can do few good things who get reactions ...

Getting and simple thank you and somethings in people eyes still makes me happy ...

Anyway 3 days ago I was in a coffee and I was practicing some move, ( nothing very show off , just some culling) , a man show up and asked are you magician ?
Please show me somethings , actually that moment I was not in the mood of pulling anyhings but I could tell that he really wanted to see somethings ...
I did 2 or 3 things ..It turned that the man has a magic bar near by the place I was and he want now to organise event for me ...!!!

We never know how things are going and beeing open is a good things ...
We all have different view and I understand that sometimes it s heavy to listen always the "show me a trick" things but has magician I think that we must like people and be nice to them ...
After all magic it s not happening in our hands but betwen magicians to others...

Christophe
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not a performing seal for them to command.

I think it depends on context, and I think it depends on who is asking. It also depends on the performer.

I simply prefer that my show be seen in the context in which I have intended it to be. I do not "generally" show a trick to people who have the knee jerk reaction to finding out what I do. BUT someone who finds out, or knows and says something thoughtful such as "look my cousin is here and he REALLY loves magic would you please show them something" is a request I would have a hard time declining.

One is a "knee jerk" reaction and 1/2 the time they really couldn't care less. The other is a thoughtful response, more than a demand so I try to comply if possible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I think McBride covers this very topic in his column in Magic Magazine this month.
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
Quote:
On 2010-01-13 21:15, rossmacrae wrote:
Make the most of it ... business card trick. Either a prediction written "just for them" on the back of your card, or the old (I forget the name) simple "switcheroo" where a blank card changes as it passes thru your hand into a printed business card.

Ross,
You've hit the nail in one !! Perfect !! A good entertainer should ALWAYS BE ON.
Without hesitation I do a quick business card trick and leave the card with them.
If they want more, the've got my number.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Acually, a good entertainer doesn't always have to be on. That is usually one of the things which can annoy the heck out of people.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
Danny,
From reading all the previous posts (above) it's clear that your opinion is in the minority. That doesn't mean that anybody is "wrong" or "right" - they are just opinions.
Why can't you "agree-to-differ" instead of wanting the last word.
With respect,
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ummmm what part of "it also depends on the performer" confused you in my post? It means that there is more than one way to go about it. It means there is more than one answer.

I think it would show more "respect" if you actually read my post before just starting an arguement. (incidently the idea of always being "on" is annoying, and is different from the original question)

If you have some sort of personal problem, send it to me in a PM so I can ignore it without disturbing the others.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-01-24 06:19, andini1 wrote:
Danny,
From reading all the previous posts (above) it's clear that your opinion is in the minority. That doesn't mean that anybody is "wrong" or "right" - they are just opinions.
Why can't you "agree-to-differ" instead of wanting the last word.
With respect,

I am really having difficulty understanding what you mean in your post about Danny. His post starts out saying that he is not a trained seal for you to command. Nothing wrong in that are you a trained seal to act on command? He goes on to say that he would rather you see his performance in his act which is very understandable. Then goes on further to say that in certain cases he would do something for the person asking.

Having said all that, what the heck are you talking abaout?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Show me a trick... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL