The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Stripper Deck Pitch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Does anyone have a video of a good stripper deck pitch? or script?

I was thinking of giving the Svengali deck a break for some of my repeat venues this year. BTW - A lot of people last year came up and asked me if I had any!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
There isn't any good pitch for a stripper deck and you can't make one up.The deck just doesn't demo good.

I was out on the road from coast to coast for over 30 years pitching the Svengali deck and I promise I could count on one hand the amount of times someone ask me for a stripper deck in thoses 30 plus years...and you say "a lot of people last year came up and asked me if I had any" I find this hard to believe that you got asked this question so many times in only one year ...I really do.

But if you want to go out and DIE than go buy lots of stripper deck stock and make up your own pitch.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
A Svengali Deck at least offers a number of different ways to reveal the selected card (4 piles, counting down, card stab, spelling the name, DL reveal, etc.) And of course there is the great kicker climax, which is what really sells the deck.

With a stripper deck, about all you can do is find the selected card or maybe "magically" pull out the four aces. There's just no comparison, in my mind. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
489 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Oy!
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I have not seen the following product...it just came to mind when I saw the first post in the thread.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1731
halestorm
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
64 Posts

Profile of halestorm
$2.50 will apparently give you 101 ideas ...

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=003097
David Hale
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
I just bought a case of them (strips) from loftus, they are out of the svens as some of you know, I have some good routines, but will work on a pitch so I can offer something different to fairs I return at or even use it as a rehash.

I'll make Don eat his own words, love you Don!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Will,

You won't admit it even if you do die.You'll just tell a big story of how good you did like the story of chargeing $1.00 to watch the pitch and still taking in $1,000 that day. I was born but not yesterday.

Later,Don
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
All,

I saw Joe Joe Crigger's lecture at the Ring 334 meeting Thursday night and was blown away by his Stripper Deck demo. He first performed it as he'd do it as a close-up piece then demonstrated the extra's he adds when pitching the deck. Very strong, simple and well thought out. And it sells !!

Interested, too, in feedback on the Loftus Strip decks. We got some at the shop and they didn't seemed to be shaved enough - very little difference in the ends. That might work with quality card stock but tougher with the cheap bridge card stock, IMHO.

Seaside Showman
Myrtle Beach, SC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Hey Don, maybe you should ask Gene Haheim if you don't believe my "big story", I was working his spot! I have no motivation to lie about my numbers or success, but since you don't know me or have never seen me work I can understand. And 1k is a low day at the Puyallup fair!

I would love to see Joe Crigger's lecture notes on the stripper if you know where I can buy them. I should be getting my case of strippers soon. I think they are like .60 each. I tried one, it seems good, but if it doesn't hold up I'll just get a worker. I can use one loftus Svengali deck for weeks before I sell it as a used deck at a discount.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
"I sell it as a used deck at a discount" I save my old Svengali decks and give them to kids I know wants one but can't afford one.But I make look like they earned it. But that's just me...do what you like.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
That's a great idea Don. I never thought about giving away a used Svengali to a kid who couldn't afford one. I always used the Svengali to practice a mercury card fold because I didn't really know what else to do with them.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Let's say you have some friends over, you wanna show them some magic ... have them select a card, like say they pick the ace, 2, 3, and 4 of diamonds ... four random cards returned to four random locations in the deck.

Now you can shuffle these cards, you know how sometimes you do a card trick you can't shuffle because you'll loose the cards - [shuffle the deck] - this is a trick deck, you can shuffle you can cut [strip the four cards to the top of the deck making it look like a cut] ... you won't loose the cards.

Anyone ever heard of a "pinky break" [raise your hand] ... a pinky break is the name of a sleight the magician uses, you can't see it from the front, but he keeps a break over the four cards with his pinky [expose a pinky break] - but you don't have to worry about that, this is a trick deck [let them see you remove the pinky break and dribble the cards to the counter] ... there is no complicated sleight-of-hand to learn ...

... whenever you want to find the cards, just snap your fingers one time, and all four cards jump to the top of the deck ... the ace, 2, 3, and four of diamonds. It works with one card, with four cards, with all the reds and all the blacks ... it will even work for you mam ...

... see this card the [place whatever card into the center of the deck] ... just take your first finger and your thumb and strip the edge of the cards like this [show them how to strip out a card, but don't actually strip it out] ... [let them strip out the card] ... and you just found the card ... it will work for you too sir, just do what she did [use the next card in the deck, leaving her with the card still in her hand] ... and you found the card.

How old are you? Eight ... let's see if it will work for you, see the [place whatever card into the center of the deck] ... just strip the edges of the cards like they did ... and you found the card ... you see that folks, it even works for an eight year old!

That's the gist of it... I can sell them just as easily as a Svengali deck, but I don't like to as I feel the deck is just too powerful to put into the hands of a layman. Svengali's cost the same, so there is no real advantage to selling strippers (unless they already own a Svengali).

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
And no ... they have absolutely no clue how they did it ... nothing is exposed.

I have even on occasion let them examine the deck after they strip out the card when the situation warrants doing so (ie: they ask to see the cards). "It looks like a real deck, feels like a real deck, but it's not ... in fact, if you don't tell your friends it's a trick deck they'll think it's a real deck".

-JoeJoe
willhunter
View Profile
Regular user
Providence, RI
140 Posts

Profile of willhunter
Nice routine, really ,but will they sell?
aka Billy Boston
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 06:03, willhunter wrote:

Oh yeah, JoeJoe can sell 'em !! I had another vendor where JoeJoe pitches half jokingly tell me he stopped demoing Strippers because JoeJoe had the best pitch.

True story ...
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2010-03-10 06:03, willhunter wrote:

That would depend on the pitchman ... a good pitch doesn't sell, it is the person delivering the pitch that sells. A good pitchman can sell just about anything to anyone, including stripper decks.

My approach is always the same no matter what I pitch ... get the audience to picture themselves doing the trick. Like how I say "you have a card selected, you shuffle the cards, you cut the deck" ... not "I do this and then I do that". It's like putting a mirror in the house your trying to sell, you want people to see themselves in the house.

After that, all you need to do is convince them they can do the trick. That is why I let them strip out a card, and that is why I leave the card in their hand ... because as long as they are holding that card, they can't say "I couldn't do that".

I wrote this pitch back in the 90's because I didn't have a good Svengali pitch. It works for me.

-JoeJoe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Stripper Deck Pitch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL