The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Blue Phantom (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
It's been a week since I placed my order for Andy Hurst's Blue Phantom. Still no reply to my emails or even an order confirmation from Andy. An email sent prior to my order being placed was replied to within 24 hours. Since placing the order, crickets.

I don't expect the product to magically appear on my doorstep. But after giving Andy $351 of my money, I *do* expect the courtesy of a reply to emails and a reasonable estimate on when the Blue Phantom might ship. That email prior to placing the order stated that it would take 2 days to have the Blue Phantom ready. I relied on that information when I placed the order.

Still, I'm going to give it a few more days because I'd like to own the product. But I won't wait weeks in the total absence of communication.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Andy finally replied. He said my previous emails apparently went to spam. He said my Blue Phantom is ready to ship and he will send the tracking (he didn't state WHEN). He replied at 1:05pm UK time and it's now 4:11pm UK time, fingers crossed I'll get the tracking number today.

He also said that he doesn't charge VAT because he's not registered to collect it. He knows the statement about VAT being included in his prices is misleading and he apologized for that.

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Hooray, I finally have a tracking number! Andy shipped it via UPS and apparently used a 3rd party service for the shipment. Based on an email I received from Parcel2Go, I don't think it's going to start moving until Monday. But, at least it's on its way (sort of).

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I guess Andy shipped via an express method because the package tracking started showing movement earlier today and UPS is now estimating that my Blue Phantom will be delivered on Monday. Nice!

I have a custom close-up pad from PropDog in the UK being delivered the same day. Then the local IBM Ring meeting that night. Show and tell! Smile

Mark
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
My Andy Hurst Blue Phantom was delivered today and Eric is absolutely right, it was worth the wait. The quality is excellent and the gimmicks (there are more than one) work beautifully. It's a thing of beauty. And the quality of the one gimmick is strong enough that this can be performed as a close-up effect.

I'm very pleased with my purchase.

My PropDog close-up pad arrived today too. Red Thistle Suede and it looks fantastic. Card spreads are a treat on this surface!

Mark
erichoudini
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Glad you like your Blue Phantom Mark. They really are beautiful
Eric.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Our local IBM Ring meeting was tonight. I brought along the Blue Phantom and showed it to some friends and fellow members when we met at Denny's after the meeting. Everyone was impressed with the quality of Andy's version and I think a couple of them are going to order one to call their own.

Mark
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The original post also mentioned "The Architect's Nightmare." It was a version of the Blue Phantom with square blocks instead of checkers. They had "architectural details" painted on them. I don't know who made them, but they are scarce. I suppose it was because they looked rather strange.

This is one of those cases of a trick that faded into obscurity because it really didn't connect with people.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
Thanks Bill for the info. I love the effect
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I think "The Architect's Nightmare" was a Thayer item (not certain).

Julie
JoeLyons
View Profile
New user
Although I've lurked here for years, i only have
24 Posts

Profile of JoeLyons
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I inherited this Blue Phantom. Can anyone tell me the maker?

Thanks;

Ron

Click here to view attached image.
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
351 Posts

Profile of magicone
Was hoping to find a copy of the Owen Blue Phantom instructions. Does anyone have a copy before I contact Owen directly.

Thank you!
Dave
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 25, 2019, Bill Palmer wrote:
The original post also mentioned "The Architect's Nightmare." It was a version of the Blue Phantom with square blocks instead of checkers. They had "architectural details" painted on them. I don't know who made them, but they are scarce. I suppose it was because they looked rather strange.

This is one of those cases of a trick that faded into obscurity because it really didn't connect with people.

Thayer made them originally. Paul Lembo made a small run a few years ago. The one shown on the Potter auction is one of Paul's.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Here is a little webpage I put together about my Blue Phantom refinish project. I neglected to take any "before" photos, but this will show the finished result...

http://themagiccompany.com/bluephantom.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
I own the BP version made by Andy Hurst. Love this piece, but haven't really come up with anything special to perform it and am wondering if there's any publications available with some good routines?

Thanks BP collectors and aficionados!
"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why you're wrong!"
j.morl
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of j.morl
Hi All, this is an effect I would love to own!
It seems like the Andy Hurst version has proved very popular. Can anyone confirm if he still makes them and the best place to look to purchase one?
I am based in the UK.
Many Thanks
James
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
j.morl
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of j.morl
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2020, Payner44 wrote:
Google is pretty easy to use... http://www.emagictricks.co.uk/product_in......_id=6022

Google is indeed very easy to use...... I assume from your post you feel this is the best place to buy from? Is this Andy’s own “shop”?
Thanks for your help 👍
Payner44
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Payner44
It’s Andy’s own shop and, I believe, the only place to get this other than from a private party. He makes them to order and worth every penny!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Blue Phantom (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL