The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » All cards are spectator's card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Hey, didn't know where to put it, so I put it here as it seems the most general.
I was doing magic today, and I have no clue why, but 50% of the time a spectator chose a card they said "Can you make all of them be my card?" or something along the lines of that.

So I was wondering... can I?
Does anyone know a good method to accomplish this and similar effects and where I can learn?
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Svengali deck.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Hindu Shuffle.

The Svengali Deck can be purchased at any Dollar Store by any kid with a buck and some change (for tax). The Hindu Shuffle must be learned through some research and then a lot of practice. It's not a trick you can just go out and buy. The Svengali deck will make the deck appear to be the one card the spectator chose, but the spectator must always choose the same card. The Hindu Shuffle can take any card the spectator freely chooses and make the entire deck seem to be made up of that card, every time, with any card chosen.

Buying a trick deck does not make you a magician, but learning magic principles to make the same trick effects happen with any ordinary deck can start you on your way to becoming a magician.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
Hey Spellbinder,
Just wondering what you mean when you say Hindu shuffle.
Would that actually be effective?

I assume you mean shuffling and periodically showing the bottom card.
I do that to "prove" a deck is red (while it is blue) for example. But I think that only works if spectators aren't paying attention just catching the colour subconsciously almost.

But if I do a trick and want the climax to be all of the spectator's card, the spectator will pay attention, and I fear the hindu shuffle may be too transparent?

Am I just doing it wrong?
Am I thinking of the wrong thing completely?
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
If you start of by forcing their selection, you can do the same effect with a deck switch by switching in a deck with only cards that are their selection. Spectators who challenge you would probably examine the cards as well, which would make a Svengali a sub-optimal for this particular situation even though it's what it was made for.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 20:29, konradz wrote:
50% of the time a spectator chose a card they said "Can you make all of them be my card?" or something along the lines of that. So I was wondering... can I?

You didn't say you wanted to make it a climax, but implied that you only needed to do it occasionally. If you make it a climax where you toss down the deck on the table and spread them out to show 100% the same card, then MacGyverMagic's deck switch idea is the one to apply (perhaps after the Hindu Shuffle "flustration" move). But if you are not ending your routine in this manner, but only using it 50% of the time and moving on to something else, the Hindu Shuffle will work... just don't overdo it. It's done as a quick, startling gag and the climax then shows the deck to be "back to normal" which, if you are going to permit examination, is the spot for it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2925 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I was just asked this the other day at a show. I just perform a "Mexican Turnover"
with the signed card on top of the deck. I turn over about 4 cards showing the signed card 4 times followed but a Flustration Count then execute the Elmsley to show all the cards are different. Their signed card is produced via my favorite method.
Dave
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Spellbinder,of course I would not like to see anyone take the "easy" way out, so to speak, and just buy a Svengali deck and not learn any kind of sleight of hand skills, but the Svengali deck does exactly what he asked. It changes the chosen card into ALL the cards. You still could do a lot with this deck ALONG with learning sleight of hand skills and also learn how to concentrate on presentation and patter, since this deck is so "easy" and could be purchaced at a dollar store. And he didn't ask sbout being a magician, he asked what would change his card into all the cards and that deck does just that.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It's his choice. But now he has several choices to make. The Svengali is a better choice if it is combined with sleight of hand. Use a matching regular deck first, then switch in any gaffed deck, including the Svengali if you wish, and then switch it back out so no one but you ever knows it was there in the first place.
Professor Spellbinder

Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Second Deals, Turnover Pass.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Yes, that's true. A deck switch would work good and even better with sleight of hand. I know what you are saying about the Svengali deck being something someone could just pick up and learn in 5 minutes, I didn't want anyone thinking I was saying forget about sleight of hand stuff and do it the "easy" way. But if you are a beginner you should definately learn sleight of hand, but a little help like a Svengali, stripper, etc. doesn't hurt. But do not get into the habit of doing only "self working" effects, learning sleight of hand is essential in the magic world. I do sleight of hand myself, but have to admit I myself have been drawn into the "self working" side of magic in the past and gimmicks, etc. but once again doing BOTH is cool, too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » All cards are spectator's card (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL