The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Cubio (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I have had Cubio since I was a kid. I know how to perform it, but I haven't the faintest idea why it works mechanically. Is there anyone like me?
Zendor
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Zendor
Bingo! Aways wondered just never took the time to cut it open (and unfortunately destroying it).
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
724 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Ok, I am with the club on this.."had one as a kid"..though it never got the reaction I wanted. Maybe it's a classic that I need to revisit?

Charlie
tnmagicgator
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, TN
60 Posts

Profile of tnmagicgator
I've had Cubio for 30 years....always a great effect for a close-up gig or party. This topic has made be explore getter a larger one, Penquin Magic has a nice looking model.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
HA!! My exposer of Cubio was deleted.

Yeah! Wouldn't want to let all the laymen in on that gem of a secret.

Randi
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 03:14, randirain wrote:
Randi

Good! Who cares about laymen? These guys posting here are magicians! Give them the joy of figuring it out for themselves... or the joy of being mystified by pure simplicity of method. Either way, you are not doing them any good by exposing the secret.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 10:33, Spellbinder wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 03:14, randirain wrote:
Randi

Good! Who cares about laymen? These guys posting here are magicians! Give them the joy of figuring it out for themselves... or the joy of being mystified by pure simplicity of method. Either way, you are not doing them any good by exposing the secret.

Guess what... I don't care.

Cubio is a stupid trick and it's obvious how it works.
Maybe not the exact mechanism or how to trigger it, but people know what you are doing to make it stop.
Which is enough in the mind of a laymen.

But this .crap. is exactly why I don't post here any more.
Not sure why I did this time.

I guess I will go back to obscurity here.
It's much less annoying that way.

Randi
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
That's a lot of drama over a "stupid trick." Wiz Kid Marquise and I took that "stupid trick" and made it so the block would not only slide down and stop on command, but then rise up the cord again, and even penetrate the cord. It's published by Marquise under the name "Billy Blockhead" in The Wizards' Journal #16, so we have a vested interest in stopping exposure of that "stupid trick" even if we have come up with a brand new way of accomplishing it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
tjmagic
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
32 Posts

Profile of tjmagic
Hey, can someone privately email me the secret to cubio. I used to perform it as a kid, but have forgotten how to engage the mechanism so that it works. I got a really cool brass cubio from a magic swap meet, but there we no directions with it. Thanks. My email address is tjmagnificent@gmail.com
Tim Mannix
<BR>www.funamazingmagic.com
<BR>
<BR>"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." -- Lazarus Long
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
122 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I love Cubio. My version is made out of wood and success depends on your presentation. I never knew how to end it but came up with a great ending that is comical. I love the fact that in 20 years, nobody has been able to figure it out. I can use this for hecklers. Very practical because I can do it anywhere and it is always ready to go. I mainly do it for Strolling Gigs. Cheers!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22853 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Are you guys talking about the close-up Cubio made of brass, and only about 5/8" square? That is an engineering marvel.

tjmagic, if it is the one just mentioned, you tap it on a table.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I still remember seeing Monk Watson perform the Jumbo Cubio on stage - he killed with it! It's too bad that they haven't been made with an attractive block, and thicker rope with a foot tag, in ages. I'd buy a properly made one in a heartbeat.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1620 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On May 6, 2021, vincentmusician wrote:
I love Cubio. My version is made out of wood and success depends on your presentation. I never knew how to end it but came up with a great ending that is comical. I love the fact that in 20 years, nobody has been able to figure it out. I can use this for hecklers. Very practical because I can do it anywhere and it is always ready to go. I mainly do it for Strolling Gigs. Cheers!

You are correct Vincent, it's all in the presentation. I feature Cubio in my kid show for many years, and it's a ton of fun.
I know that you have many years of experience in the entertainment business and you are a fantastic children's entertainer.
It's not what you do, it's how it's done.
Tricky Ricky
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22853 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 26, 2021, Alan Munro wrote:
I still remember seeing Monk Watson perform the Jumbo Cubio on stage - he killed with it! It's too bad that they haven't been made with an attractive block, and thicker rope with a foot tag, in ages. I'd buy a properly made one in a heartbeat.

Abbott's Magic and Thayer Magic made the stage size versions. Not with rope but with thick string. Abbott's was the Monk Watson version.

I talked to Greg at Abbott's and they can not make them currently, they have no wood craftsman, or employees currently. No idea what their current plans are to continue business. Greg is the owner, and he could not say anything about future plans. Wages are just to high these days.

Abbott's called Monk Watson's versin "Krazy Kube".

Here you can get the instructions sheet:
https://www.abbottmagic.com/Instant-Inst......oryId=-1
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3470 Posts

Profile of Julie
Viking/CW used to sell the simple gimmick for the venerable Obedient Orange. I don't know if it's still available, but it is one of those "so old, it is new again" items that is really a winner.

Julie
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
806 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Anyone that loves Cubio should consider the Penrose Pendant by Plainsight.

https://plainsightmagic.com/products/penrose-pendant

Mark
KungFuMagic
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of KungFuMagic
I'll watch for their restock date. Last night I was imagining how useful a pendant would be, then BAM! You send us to one. Smile
Nick Sasso
part-time Samurai conjurer
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On May 31, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On May 26, 2021, Alan Munro wrote:

Abbott's Magic and Thayer Magic made the stage size versions. Not with rope but with thick string. Abbott's was the Monk Watson version.

I talked to Greg at Abbott's and they can not make them currently, they have no wood craftsman, or employees currently. No idea what their current plans are to continue business. Greg is the owner, and he could not say anything about future plans. Wages are just to high these days.

Abbott's called Monk Watson's versin "Krazy Kube".

Here you can get the instructions sheet:
https://www.abbottmagic.com/Instant-Inst......oryId=-1

Maybe Monk modified his. He definitely used rope in his, when I saw him perform it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Cubio (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL