The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sleuth by Michael Murray (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I got this today and it is brilliant! I saw the first two hints studying the card myself, but I am familiar with this stuff and knew what to look for. I did not study the card more than a minute though being the spectators would not be looking at it too long anyway. Really cool, and I hope that some names are thought of more than others as those who have this know what I mean. Awesome stuff, can't wait for Imagination! Love Between The Lines too.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Does anyone know how soon this will be available through dealers in the US and/or approximate shipping charges to the States? (I apologize if this info is available elsewhere on the Café.)

Thank you for your help!

Tom
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Shipping to the States via insured Airmail is £5.00 otherwise feel free to ask your local dealer to contact us as we are more than happy to wholesale this item!

Kind Regards Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Seems to be some disagreement here. Although most comments are very favourable, surprisingly I've seen some on another thread who feel it is too obvious to be used, Not so. I agree with NeilS on this one.

At first, I was using it only for one on one situations, but this morning I did a show for a high school class and the theme was the power of the subconscious mind so I changed out an effect I usually open with and inserted Sleuth. It was grand. The girl in question was spooked and seemed to really believe that her subconscious was talking to her. So did everyone else and even the teachers weren't sure what to make of it. She chose Elise btw.

Fabulous effect. Can't believe anyone would sell this. To me, it's worth triple what I paid for it if not more.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
The one time I tried this, the spec made their choice.
I went through the clues that led her subconciously to the culprit.
She replied "I bet if I look there's clues to all the answers on there"

Do I let them look?
At least 2 other outs seem too easy to find to me.
Or am I being too cautious?

Should I try some more and let them look at the card afterwards, see how many find anything? Seems risky now they think they know there's something to look for.

steve
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I've never had that problem. Maybe the key, is to sum up whatever you are going to say about the subconscious and come out with the opening line for your next effect before anyone has time to think about it or ask any questions. I would love to see another card made up in similar fashion with different names. Some wording would need to be changed. I think the hardest part would be coming up with numbers that upside down would spell out a credible name. When I get time, I may try to do this but it would be for my own personal use only as this effect belongs to MM. If this card has been successful, maybe he would consider a Sleuth 2. For starters, the palindrome could be Anna.

The other thing Steveline, is how did you qualify your spec? That is important here. I would not necessarily use Sleuth in every show, just when I was sure it would work,
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Aligator
Thanks for that, maybe I just picked the wrong spec. And if I wasn't 100% confident that wouldn't have helped.

PM'd you anyway.

steve
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have said it before and will gladly say it again, Sleuth is a fantastic effect and is one of the few I always carry around with me.

One of its strengths is that it allows the spectator to be fully involved and to get it right - something they can't fail to be pleased about Smile

Although probably intended as a close up item, like Aligator I was able to include it in a show and it went across superbly well. It was one of my early items and with other audience members sharing the delight of the assisting spectator it made them more co-operative and willing to help.

If anyone is interested I have an additional line I use and which I will share with those who have the effect.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 11:47, steveline wrote:

Do I let them look?
At least 2 other outs seem too easy to find to me.
Or am I being too cautious?

Should I try some more and let them look at the card afterwards, see how many find anything? Seems risky now they think they know there's something to look for.

steve

Just PUNCH them and while they are bent over in pain get your next effect ready.

... but be nice about it.

j
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
You are a funny guy John

Steve
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
John, that's the best advice I have come across for a long time. Now I know what to do with spectators who ask a question too many.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
I wonder if Celebrity is monitoring this thread and whether he might consider a Sleuth 2?
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
This would certainly be a possibility however I have a further six effects in the works to complete so this would not be for a short while yet.

I highly recomend getting hold of Paul Brook's you know who card upon which Sleuth is based; this will no doubt provide you with a very good alternative in the meantime.

I use Paul's card if an audience member within a group has already seen sleuth and requests that I show this to their friend!

Kind Regards Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
On 2010-04-07 11:47, steveline wrote:

I had a similar experience with a single spectator. If I'm guessing right, was yours a one-on-one performance, Steve? I'm wondering whether if this is presented close up to only one person (or just a few people), some kind of backup (like the killer's name in an envelope) would work. If the people know you, they're more likely to call you out on things like this anyway.

I also wonder whether those who perform it regularly are doing so to larger groups in more social situations where the dynamics are different, the chosen spectator being more 'on show'.

If the envelope fails, go John's route. Smile
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Maybe John should market his idea.

"The Ultimate Payback"

Mark
You're probably right about the one-on-one thing.

I'll try it again for a group.

Steve
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Good idea on combining the effects, Steveline. When some of us receive our Showdown wallets, it will be easier to work in Mark's idea with additional multiple outs for the name of the criminal.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3236 Posts

Profile of NeilS
As an alternative to a wallet, you could produce the Sleuth card from an envelope and, if you wanted to add weight to what you say about the chosen name, at the end take a paper confirming the selected name from the envelope you originally took the Sleuth card from. For this you could use Mentalope envelope or something similar.

I have never found the need to do this as the spectators have been so pleased to have named the criminal. But for a backup and convincer, removing additional verification from the envelope may be worth considering if, like me, you do not use multiple out wallets.
magicden
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
103 Posts

Profile of magicden
I was looking forward to getting this but was dissapointed in the end, basically I think One particular out wastes the entire card for me and that is the Capital letters on the back of the card, if they had been made lowercase they would have blended in better, but they are so noticable that it was picked up immediately by specs on the 2 occasions I tried it, they both said well it says ch----e t-- on the back.
Den

love between the lines though
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Never happened to me. I always have them read the back of the card first, then immediately turn over to the front. after a few seconds, I ask them for their choice. Maybe, it has something to do with the situation in which the card is being used.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Quote:
On 2010-05-15 14:24, magicden wrote:
I was looking forward to getting this but was dissapointed in the end, basically I think One particular out wastes the entire card for me and that is the Capital letters on the back of the card, if they had been made lowercase they would have blended in better, but they are so noticable that it was picked up immediately by specs on the 2 occasions I tried it, they both said well it says ch----e t-- on the back.
Den

love between the lines though

I've had this happen too. The solution is in the handling/scripting. Don't start the effect as a trick. Introduce the card as a conversation piece not a trick. Your audience will have their guard down. tell them to scan through the rules quickly. I give them the impression this is an unimportant part and am very laid back at this point and urge them slightly to rush through the reading. They are so focused on what's going to happen after they've read the blurb that the deed's done before they are even going to think of looking for something.

I agree however, a more subtle font would be better.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sleuth by Michael Murray (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL