The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ideas to start up business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I have always been into magic as a hobby and for extra money. I've been performing in restaurants for many years and did shows whenever they came my way. Since I moved to college I'm in a smaller town but I have a much wider market because there is a real lack of serious magicians. So I've decided to start treating magic more of a business than I have in the past. I was wondering what people would consider as helpful or necessary things to start picking up business. The obvious ones I can think of and have are:

Well rehearsed magic show sets (obviously)
A phone number to be reached at
Business Cards
A facebook group
Promotional pictures (although I'm going to get updated ones within the next few weeks)
A weekly restaurant gig to meet potential clients

I'm going to work on making flyers, a promotional video, and hopefully soon a website. Anyone have any other tips or ideas? Thanks!
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
The restaurant should bring in a 3 or more gigs per month if you handle it correctly.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 22:02, trickychaz wrote:
The restaurant should bring in a 3 or more gigs per month if you handle it correctly.

The pub is in a college town, I know my peers and they are not looking to hire anyone for anything unless you accept payment from a keg.

But, there the town, and surrounding towns, have a large market for kids shows and for the adults that like to attend the wineries (which I hope to work in once the spring comes). The private events I hope to get are going to be aimed at the audiences looking to hire a magician.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
When I was a student, I got several gigs for Frat Rush Parties in February.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I recently got Samuel Patrick Smiths audio sets ("booking yourself" and "making it happen") and highly recommend them, he talks about all the basics in a very practical and down to earth way. Some of it's a little dated, since it's from the early 80s (eg. he has great tips using local payphones to cut down on long distance and how to use you typwriter sheets most effectively Smile )

Different people do things differently, but according to this system the most important things you need are:
-professionalism
-a telephone
-a telephone book
He is big on telemarketing. He has some great tips on how to do it, but the main point is to do it. If you have a great show and are professional (and a telephone) your ready to get into the business side things seriously. Everything else will come along.

Of course he talk about about brochures, letters et cetera..
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
I would also mention a website as a necessary "thing" for picking up business. Doesn't have to be anything fancy...one page and a contact form would suffice.

Depending on types of shows you're targeting, just be where you're prospects are. And this doesn't have to be physically. An lead generation ad in a local magazine may work. Don't forget about direct mail. You can have your own salesman show up at your prospects doorstep and deliver your message without forgetting anything and answering every objection for less than $1...not too shabby.

The first thing of course, is to decide who you're selling to and craft your sales message around that information.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I know I am plugging this but it really works and I don't get a dime if you buy it... cos I live in Germany and we have Euro Smile

http://sixfiguremagic.com/

money back guarantee
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:

3 a month or MORE?

So if he works three restaurants a week he should be getting 9 jobs a month? (2 or more a week?)

I not so sure that is a guarantee.

How do you suggest doing this? I am all ears...
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 18:22, Kevinr wrote:
Quote:

3 a month or MORE?

So if he works three restaurants a week he should be getting 9 jobs a month? (2 or more a week?)

I not so sure that is a guarantee.

How do you suggest doing this? I am all ears...

that's simple..think of each nights performance as an audition for hundreds of potential clients...they will not hesitate to buy from you if they have seen you in person.

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 1:40pm
I learned a lot about restaurants from DJ Ehlert. Jack Turk will be hosting a teleseminar tonight as DJ spills all the beans!

You can register @
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/DJ/

See you there!

Charles
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Do a basic business plan.who are you targeting,1 year goal,5 years and 10 years.how are you going to market your self.what are you going to charge.how much do you need to make each mounth and so on
TheMagicianGuide
View Profile
New user
Wheat Ridge Colorado
90 Posts

Profile of TheMagicianGuide
And once you have a website don't just let it sit there, looking pretty. There are a lot of ways to drive additional traffic and leads to yourself and your website with internet marketing . . . just be creative and try to be unique or fill some "niche" is the one thing to keep in mind Smile
TheMagicianGuide.com - National Magician Directory.

The Magician Guide is part of Kids Party Resource network of childrens entertainers and event rentals.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Ditto on the business plan! It's not so much the plan itself as it is the exercise of creating it. It forces you to step back and answers questions about who you are and what you're willing to do. Until you know that, you'll never realistically map out where you want to go and how you're going to get there.

The business card, web site, promotions, and even gigs are just tools. Who is this person using those tools? How are you going to use them? what are you trying to achieve? What are the milemarkers on your road that will tell you you're going in the desired direction at the desired pace? Do you understand how to best use those tools to get where you want to go?

And how much is it going to cost? Both in time and in dollars? Do you have it? Are you willing to part with it at the sacrifice of something else? Not just material items, but relationships, opportunities, and lifestyle, both present and future.

For carpenters, it's measure twice - cut once.
For entreptreneurs, it's think twice - live once!
You can never get a refund on time or life, so re-dos can be costly.

Ed
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Quote:
On 2010-01-18 23:07, seadog93 wrote:
I recently got Samuel Patrick Smiths audio sets ("booking yourself" and "making it happen") and highly recommend them,

I got both of Mr. Smith's audio tapes sets over a dozen years ago. two other good resources from SPS are "Sell Your Act with Letters!" and, I think the best one, his "Confidential Day Care Booking Manual."

http://www.spsmagic.com/products.asp?product_id=b002

Mr. Smith is a good writer and he understands our promotional needs.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
752 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
I agree with others above you need to write out your business plan
write out your marketing strategy

set REALISTIC Goals and work backward (step by step goals are easier to meet)

instead of a Facebook group do a fan page.. they are easier to get indexed and ranked by google

as far as a website

get cpanel hosting (I love hostgator)
and install wordpress (just a few clicks)
there are plugins to do anything you can think of,, and its easy to use
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Mike's spot on with a GEM in that last post.... a fanpage on Facebook.

We setup a fanpage for my wife (http://facebook.com/caricatures) and she's right at the cusp of 700 fans!!!! (By the way, feel free to become a fan to push her over the 700 number *wink*)

What benefits are there? As Mike said, being indexed by Google is important.

But I feel there's another great reason... you'll be where the people are. Driving traffic to a website is fine.

But why do you think so many stores love setting up in a mall? Because that's where people shop. We have had so many gigs booked a direct result of her fan page.

For example, each month she does a random drawing from her fans and draws them. This is a $150 value that she gives away for free. Why? The return on investment is TREMENDOUS!!!

I track exactly from where clients are coming and facebook is one of the top sources.

Oh, yes, I'll channel Mike and say, "and get a blog." Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ideas to start up business (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL