The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Choosing a market. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
I am not new to magic. I have been into it for 15 plus years and have done a few shows from time to time, mostly an act on a bigger show with other performers. However over the past few years I have started doing mentalism and have put together a show and want to start trying to make a business out of it. At least give it a shot. Anyhow my question is, How do I decide on a market? How do I decide where this type of show fits best so I can market it to the right groups and people?

What I have is a mentalism show that runs about 40-45 minutes. It is designed to be for groups of 30-300. Meaning the material involve a number of audience members so it is best to have at least 30 people give or take and the material is visible to all in an audience up to about 300. In a theatre hold more than that some things may be hard for the people in back to see. So it is not a huge Copperfield production. I have only performed the show as a whole 1 time. And unsure where to take it from here or how to decide which market is best. Since it is a new show my promotion materials will not be as complete as they could be ie; no letters of recommendation or past client feedback. But I have the basics, brochure, cover letter, business card etc. Any information on how to take the next step or what the next step even is would be great.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I include an audio seminar on Marketing for Mentalists as part of my Success in Magic course or as a separate download, and in that seminar I discuss five markets for mentalism. You can work corporate events, association events, private parties, colleges and, when you are ready, theaters.

How do yo decide where your show fits best and which market is best?

I'm not sure where you live, but you should begin locally, and try out your show in all those markets. See where the response is strongest, focus on those markets, and start expanding your radius further.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
ohiomagic
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of ohiomagic
Thank you Jim.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2010-01-19 13:37, Jim Snack wrote:
I include an audio seminar on Marketing for Mentalists as part of my Success in Magic course or as a separate download, and in that seminar I discuss five markets for mentalism. You can work corporate events, association events, private parties, colleges and, when you are ready, theaters.

How do yo decide where your show fits best and which market is best?

I'm not sure where you live, but you should begin locally, and try out your show in all those markets. See where the response is strongest, focus on those markets, and start expanding your radius further.

Jim

I thought I'd bump this thread into the resurrected zone.

I bought this audio seminar (It was an interview with P.E.A.) a few years ago, and have just finished listening to it.

I'd recommend it highly.

I'd dearly love to have a "Sucess-in-Mentalism" hybird course.

Get the interview, it's a treasure trove. - Jim, on the interview I have you mentioned that you had handouts prepared, I am assuming it was for the P.E.A. members. Have you made this available to the rest of us?
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Hi Reuben,

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I lost those handouts when my hard drive crashed a year ago.

I agree that someone should do a "Success in Mentalism" course. Since it's not my specialty, I'm not the guy.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Choosing a market. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.59 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL