The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Grand stage illusions done close up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

konradz
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of konradz
I have a very wierd request. I've been thinking about the spectator, and usually what everyone thinks of when they hear magic is either grand escapes out of straight jackets on top of a tank of water or sawing a woman in half.
I do close-up, and although I wish to do something like this in the future, I am thinking if anyone knows of a source that would let me do "these tricks" in a close up setting.
I actually have no idea what I'm asking for and don't really know what I want. I just want to be able to tell a spectator in close up "I'm sure youve seen David Copperfield saw a woman in half... well watch this" or "I'm sure you've heard about Houdini doing impossible escapes... well watch this."
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Unless you're doing a dangerous escape involving fire or a height and sharp objects below, escapes can be performed closeup -- in most cases all you need to watch are your angles. Straitjacket escapes are even better than that. When it comes to closeup illusions with the Copperfield opening line, perhaps Magicbob's work suits your needs. It's basically stage illusions done with playing cards.

http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob/IHCT1/IHCT1-00a_TOC.htm

If I remember correctly he has more than that.

Still, a lot depends on what you consider to be an illusion. I would say the Arm twist meets the criteria and it can be easily performed in a closeup setting (I should know, I've done it).
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
The Siberian chain is great close up escape.
Cut and restored cigarette could be likened to sawing a woman in half.
many levitation effects could be be likened to the Levitation of Princess Karnak.

And so on and so forth.

For example: I use nickels to dimes with a set of Buddha papers to do a transposition effect... in my patter I tell people that I am bringing a grand stage illusion to the close up table and I describe the sub trunk effect as I do the transposition.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Losander's Chain Breaker is also a great closeup escape effect.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
313 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
The proteous cabinet or any famous disappearing illusion done with dolls or teddy bears if you want to raise some laughs.

Imagine this. You take a medium sized teddy bear with a squeaky noise maker in it and show it to the audience squeezing the noisemaker so it sounds happy.
Then make it squeak and squeal as you put it into a small wooden cabinet (a proteous one) and close the doors. Then you take a large sharp knife and push it down through a slot on the top of the cabinet. The knife resists as you push it down, the teddy is squealing like crazy, but you struggle and strain and finally get the knife through and it comes out a slot in the bottom (the cabinet should be on short legs sitting on a table)....
Then you fling open the doors to reveal the cabinet is empty! All anyone can see is the knife in the middle of the cabinet running from the top to the bottom.
Close the doors, remove the knife and fling the doors open again and there's teddy! all safe and sound...

Well I think it sounds amusing anyway and am going to build this soon...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Grand stage illusions done close up (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL