The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Terrorist Hackers Targeting Magician's website--check it out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Hello Friends,

I'm writing to give a heads up on a very unexpected situation which recently occurred.

Let me give you the story. I recently was chatting with our good friend Bob Sanders. I suggested he check out my website for more info on the type of magic I do.
He PM'd me last night informing me that my site had been hacked. To be honest, I don't check my site that often. I assume it's there and safe and sound.
When I went to my site I was shocked. Instead of my usual first page, there was a full page of terrorist lingual along with photos of machine gun armed taliban (I'm assuming). The page was titled something about Palestinians as well as horrible terminology about death to their enemies, etc.
I was absolutely appalled and completely at a loss as to what to do.

I immediately contacted my website provider, Network Solutions.
By today I found out that someone or a group of someones broke into Network Solutions security and had in fact hacked into 200 sites....mine being one of them.
Fortunately, they acted fast and my site was restored by mid-day today.
The rep from Network Solutions commented that it was such an odd thing to use a magic website as a platform for this terrorist hacking. But it happened.

Anyway, I'm simply suggesting that those of you with websites keep a watch on them. Check them a bit more often than you usually do. I would have never expected this but if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.

All the best
Michael
AmazingCarrington
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
What actually did they do so I can look for it. I have about 50 Websites and three hosting ares with Network solutions.
Dennis Michael
amazingcarrington
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of amazingcarrington
Dennis,

Who do you mean by "they"....Network Solutions or the "hackers"?

Network simply restored the site. They admitted that their security had been breached and that they were trying to track down those responsible. They claimed they would let those affected know more details once they had some. However, communication with Network Solutions is not always the best. I sent them an email asking why they did not notify me rather than me having to alert them. I've received no response. As they knew that there were over 200 sites affected, they must have had some way of catching the breach.

If you're referring to what the hackers did, it was way too obvious. My site was completely replaced with very radical photos and comments about death to Palestian's enemies....they were very specific as to whom they meant.
It really shocked me.
As a Christian, this was the last stuff I wanted to have attached to my website.

If you've got 50 sites, I suppose I'd run through them to check. My understanding is that Network Solutions has restored the hacked sites.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have further questions.
Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Terrorist Hackers Targeting Magician's website--check it out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL