The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cigars from Purse (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Patrick Maloney
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Patrick Maloney
I seen John Carney perform his version of Leipzig's cigars from purse at a lecture last year and I made my cigars like he said. The purses arrived in the mail and one of them needs to be altered. Where should I make the cut in the leather purse on the side or the bottom ? Also does anyone have any thoughts about this routine ? I think it would be great for table hopping or strolling.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
First, let's chat about the cut...

I have made mine on the lower quadrant of the purse. I just cut a slit and then per Carney's instruction, I took glue and rubbed it into the leather to make it ridged so it "poofs" out a bit.

As to the routine, I think it's a horrible idea to do a Cigar Production Routine in ANY situation...unless you've been booked to perform at a Cigar Bar. I know their not real and are made of wood, but trust me when I say "it's NOT a good idea. It's all about perception.

Now granted...I am NOT politically correct. Far from it actually. I think most everyone knows this about me. It's almost part of my character. I guess if anyone could pull off doing Cigar Productions, it would be me...just becuase of the nature of my non PCness. I wouldn't...I'm just saying that I could.

In today's society, there are so many people who are offended with smoking that to do a routine focusing on producing cigars would be unadvisable...unless it just happen to fit the venue (Cigar Bar, Society Party where people are prone to smoke Cigars, Burgendy Room, etc.).

Out here in Dallas/Ft. Worth, there is a smoking ban. The only place that you're allowed to smoke is in your own home, in a dark room, under a blanket with a flashlight. Gone are the days of being able to smoke in restaurants, malls, anywhere, etc. You're also not allowed to smoke outside of buildings and their entrances. Many places have signs posted that say "no smoking anywhere on the property."

I tell you all this to show you that doing a Cigar Routine just isn't gonna fly like it would have back in the day.

With that being said...

I do Carney's routine...but I use Sharpie Markers. Everything works exactly the same...but without risk of offending. It's motivated becuase I do other Sharpie Material (A Marked Man by Bizzaro...BUY IT!) along with using a Sharpie as my "wand."

The good news is that if I do get booked for a venue where Cigars would be acceptable, then I can transistion quite easily w/o any stress.

Prolly more info than you requested and don't mean to sound political about the smoking issue, just warning ya...

Good Luck,

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Patrick Maloney
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Patrick Maloney
What kind of glue did you use and how close was the cut to the bottom of the purse ? Maybe this routine will entertain some of my buddies at the home brew club. Thanks so much for your insight.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13336 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've altered many a purse for many a magic dude.
If you're interested let me know.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

I just used Elmers...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of T.House
Great idea to use the Sharpies. Do you use the miniature ones or the normal size?

What purses currently available are the best for this routine?

Thanks,

Bruce
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Ton Onosaka (sic?) has some little, tiny leather purses that are great for this routine.
patrick
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

I use standard size sharpies...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-01-20 19:38, Christopher Lyle wrote:
...but I use Sharpie Markers.

How the hell do you smoke a Sharpie??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-01-21 23:16, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-20 19:38, Christopher Lyle wrote:
...but I use Sharpie Markers.

How the hell do you smoke a Sharpie??

Practice my friend...lots of practice!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3164 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1606 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Girl in the red velvet purse.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cigars from Purse (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL