The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Another Copperfield Cancellation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Hey Everyone,

I had tickets to go see David Copperfield perform in Montgomery on the 26th of January. He canceled due to a "scheduling conflict". I've noticed he's been moving dates and canceling a lot of the dates. He actually did both for the show in Montgomery (moved the date then canceled after tickets were sold).

Is there something more to this? I thought his legal battle had been dismissed...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Could be sick, could be hurt could be a thousand and one different reasons. All of which would have nothing to do with his law suit.

His show at the MGM is an amazing experience. I saw that in November before the suit was dismissed, so I am not sure how much that even matters. With the schedule the guy keeps, I am amazed he does not have to move and cancel more!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
My understanding is that he was asked to extend his current run at the MGM after an act that was to come in after him was cancelled. Hence the cancellations.
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
berrymuts
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of berrymuts
I've heard of a few other of his shows getting canceled. When I saw him in Milwaukee in October the theater was only half-full. Perhaps it's time for a new TV special to re-energize the fan base.
magicmarie
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of magicmarie
I was going to get tickets to see him too. but now I guess I won't
MagicWGH
View Profile
Regular user
Covington, LA
164 Posts

Profile of MagicWGH
Yeah, I think it was because of lack of ticket sales. I talked to my buddy and he said the last time he played Alabama he got Orchestra tickets even though he got his tickets the day that went on sale. Mezzanine tickets were still available when he canceled. Then again, he didn't even advertise...kind of hard to sell tickets if no one knows you are going to be there.
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 10:57, berrymuts wrote:
I've heard of a few other of his shows getting canceled. When I saw him in Milwaukee in October the theater was only half-full. Perhaps it's time for a new TV special to re-energize the fan base.

I agree, but keep in mind that even though the criminal case was dismissed, there is sadly still talk of a civil suit. I hope that we see a Copperfield special soon! The last one was the Tornado of Fire which was ages ago. Unfortunately, there is the possibility that until that is behind him as well that there won't be one. I'd love to be proven wrong!
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I still say he is at the top of his game.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
According to CNN, Copperfield's accuser has been charged with lying to police and with prostitution:
http://bit.ly/9fXZY6
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Good news for the DC camp as it relates to a potential civil suit. If DC does another TV episode hopefully he won't do any DB or CA type of magic (the levitating couch outside was a poor choice IMO and came across as tawdry). DC has a different audience and needs to stay true to his own style that has made him famous.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5486 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I agree Mr. Muggle. Copperfield, to me, resurrected the big-show magician. He was, and is, a "modern" Thurston or Blackstone. One can't compare him to Siegfried & Roy, or Lance Burton for instance, who while talented...did very little in modernizing magic. Copperfield took the stage show to a new level by upping the ante. His dress, mannerisms, stage sets, assistants, music, and graphics were all pushed to appeal to a contemporary crowd.

He should continue going in that direction. He isn't Criss Angel. He isn't David Blaine. He isn't Penn and Teller. And that's okay. He doesn't need to be. He's David Copperfield.

Has he lost his way? Maybe. But finding your way shouldn't mean losing yourself.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
At this point I don't think he's lost his way, he is just on auto-pilot playing the role of world's greatest magician.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Auto pilot you say"? NOBODY puts out the quality of show he does as many times a year as he does on "auto pilot".

Magicians bash him, yea for whatever reasons lets not go there, but when I saw him there were about 500 people at the MGM who could not have been more entertained by any event they saw. If this is a guy on "auto pilot" then so be it but I see no way anyone can be at the top of the game and be on "auto pilot".

Copperfield not only made magic popular in houses all across the world, but he made himself part of pop culture. His name is bantered about like some sort of "brand name". ALL due to him.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I totally agree with Danny. I think on his bad day he stills has a great show.
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I last saw him in 06 and while he didn't have the high energy that he had in the 80's & 90's when I saw him, he still killed. I got to assist with the grandpa's car and lottery illusions. I got to be under the car when it was produced.

But there are two moments in magic that I will never forget. When I first saw those silks of Slydini's come apart, and when Copperfield flew. I still remember that feeling.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
I've always loved The Who, but at the superbowl halftime they weren't what they once were.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-02-11 23:38, mumford wrote:
I've always loved The Who, but at the superbowl halftime they weren't what they once were.

Yea they were about 1/2 the band they used to be. (well exactly half the band) What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
On 2010-01-27 00:59, magicnewswire wrote:
According to CNN, Copperfield's accuser has been charged with lying to police and with prostitution:

Great, now all he has to do is try to explain why he was with a hooker. LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I'm a huge fan of Copperfield, but I have to agree that the last time I saw him, I was let down. It was on tour a couple of years ago, and he just seemed spent. He definitely wasn't the same as prior times I had seen him.

I don't know if this has continued - I hope he's back to his old self. But I can understand what someone would mean if they use the term "autopilot".

And he didn't put out a great show on autopilot. That's something that creeps in. He has been an amazing performer for DECADES. I can't imagine how he's kept it up as long as he has at the pace he goes.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-02-12 01:28, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-27 00:59, magicnewswire wrote:

Great, now all he has to do is try to explain why he was with a hooker. LOL.

Like he feels the need to explain anything. Yeah right. His biggest concern is probably about putting butts in seats, and that's not a problem in the right venue. I think the cancellations are simply occurring because Vegas is easy pickings for him. Why waste a great deal on promotion if it's unnecessary?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20565 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Needless to say I was joking about explaining a prostitute.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Another Copperfield Cancellation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL