The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » So, Do you think this is a scam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2010-01-22 06:27, ross welford wrote:
Mmy favourite bit's where he says:

"there will be 60 adults in attendance, from all walks of life, sitting six per seat."

That's a weird gig!
Sounds like they're really good friends!

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Yes, this is a scam. They will send you a check for more than your fee and expect you to send them the difference. Their check is no good, there is no show, and you'll be out the difference in the "refund/overpayment."

I received a number of these when I was living in California several years ago. Often the hustlers were dumb enough to say where the gig was to be held. It was a simple matter to look up the phone number of the venue and verify that there was no such event scheduled.

I had some fun. I'd quote a multi-thousand dollar fee and ask if they wanted me to bring the tigers as that was an additional $1500, even though last week's show had an "unfortunate accident."

They would respond in all seriousness one way or the other about bringing the animals. I'd then ask them if they minded if I had my young assistant perform for a few minutes as he was "new to the business" and "needed some experience" telling them his name was David Copperfield. It was never a problem for my "assistant" to perform.

I sometimes had really absurd conditions that they always agreed to but the scam rested on them sending me a check, not locking the date with a deposit from THEIR credit card. The excuses for not using a credit card was wide-ranging and funny, as if anyone of substance traveled without a credit card.

In the end dealing with them lost its amusement factor and I'd blow them off saying that I knew they were sitting in an Internet Café in Nigeria and that I enjoyed playing with them. Sometimes the response was in massively creative curses.

There are several sites that are run by hobbyists who scam the scammers in what is called a 419 Advance Fee scam. See http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com for one of the better sites.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
What a dumb scam...

Like magicians have any money!!

Randi
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2320 Posts

Profile of todsky
I received the Charles Williams email as well last friday, word for word the same, asking me to perform here in Montreal. I guess these engine oil people from all walks of life really get around! What impresses (and scares) me is how these Nigerian scam emails are getting more personalized.

Here's the last email he sent me, at which point it became pretty clear it is a scam. He also left me a credit card number (probably stolen), which I reported to Visa.

"Hi,

I am glad to inform you that we will be doing business with you.
I also want to let you know that I have an agent who will handle our
logistics details like I said in my previous mail, but he runs a
private business and does not have the facilities to charge a credit
card, so I will need you to help in facilitating my payment to him,
because it's very crucial to our making this booking with you, as he
is incharge of our logistics.
At this point I would authorize you to charge my credit card to
the amount you quoted for the cost of your services ($XXXX), with an
additional $XXXX for the agent, deduct your fee and transfer (BANK
WIRE) the balance to my agent so he can start processing our travel
arrangements and accomodation, prior to our coming, as we cannot do it
ourselves due to our present location

You are to charge in
bits of $2000 by $2000 and continue till the total amount is
gotten."
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1110 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
A simple fix would be to ask for:

the cc#
Name on Card (question if different)
Billing address
Issuing Bank

Then confirm.

Paypal has it's issues as well.

Or you can give them MY contact info. I love these scams, and have actually MADE MONEY on them. Seriously.

Scam the scammer I always say Smile
Craig Dickson
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Valley, NY
351 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickson
Could be Nigerian, scam capitol of the world. They are evolving in their schemes. Once you confront them, them put a curse on your family. Honest Smile
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1110 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
OK just to be clear - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SCAM A SCAMMER. I did, and won, however it was a gamble, and I know that.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Derrick
I got the exact same email, and it would have sounded tempting to me if his English wasn't so bad. A person that learns English from a book does not communicate like those of us who use it every day.

BY BY Mr. Williams
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Magic Magazine did an article about this exact scam several months (maybe even a year) ago.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Not sure what all this fuss is about...

I was hired by Charles Williams to perform in Montreal, for a fee of 20K (one hour kid show for his god-son).

He paid me personally, in cash (200 hundreds). No problems.

Then had his chauffeur drive me home in a stretch limo.

Both client an performer are very happy.

Next time, he said he would book both Todsky and I to perform back to back shows at twice the price.

Todd was hesitant at first, but after seeing me arrive home in the limo with money in hand, is now re-considering.

;)
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
noble1
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of noble1
Does anyone know of any magician who has lost on this scam?
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
So far , it is known that much "time" has been lost. And time = $ But it also makes us wiser.

;)
Jonathan
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
Derrick, the E-mail says, “Thanks for getting back to me.” Do you get back to mister no name? It goes on to say, they will require your services for 4 days. For what, a product launch? Do you do product launches?

If this is real you need a lot more information.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I got the exact same email from a "Charles William" or something like that...

I called him out and said that it was a scam and haven't heard back since...I hope I didn't offend a prospective client;)
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I too received this e-mail solicitation, but yesterday, in the (snail) mail, I received what appeared to be a legitimate letter that said I may have already won $60,000,000. As a result, all of my props are now available for sale (cheap) and my friends can come and visit me in the Cayman Islands very soon. Goodnight everybody!!
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
I have to admit that there is something to this Charles Williams offer...

I had the pleasure and the honor to worked for Mr. Charles S. Williams thrice over the past two years.

As a result I now own one of the islands that LVMagical will be vacationing at.

I am currently in negotiations with Copperfield to acquire his island (as he is purported to be searching for a new,more secretive, piece of real estate to own, and many more lucrative deals are in the works.

J
Jonathan
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Its a SCAM.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, so I will. Real clients ASK what your payment policy is, not TELL you what it is.
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
I live inside your computer.
1243 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Alexa,

Bingo. You are ahead of your years.
Jeff Travilla - Author of "The Extractor." I work in advertising and marketing now. If you are a professional worker and need marketing help, feel free to contact my company. JCM Media Group.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 11:42, alexa wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, so I will. Real clients ASK what your payment policy is, not TELL you what it is.

Good point, but unfortunately with some scam "artists", they also send an initial letter asking you to quote them your top dollar price in exchange for your very best (most extravagant) show. Letting you know how their budget is unlimited as they want the very best entertainment possible to celebrate their beloved wife (or daughter) etc.

This has likely already been mentioned on this thread or similar threads but just in case...

The Scammer's modus Operendi is often as follows:

Once they hook you into responding to their initial letter, a follow-up letter from them suggests that they will be sending you an electronic cash deposit for an amount over the amount you will be charging , with instructions how to send them back the excess to deposit into their account. By that time you should small a rat. In fact, if you receive an email from anyone that is not personalized and sounds scripted and robotic with several typos and no mention of your name (or your companies) name ... you should be very cautious --definitely to not give them any personal information. Send out a brief note, asking how they heard of you and all their contact points, etc. Letting them know that you are doing this to protect yourselves from potential scammers, and that you have sent a copy of their letter to your brother-in-law who is chief of police, etc. Smile

Just a suggestion. The main thing is to not waste your precious time responding to strangers that promise lollipops and loads of money in exchange for your very best show.

Wake up and smell the coffee (or the fish, or the rat, etc.)before you respond and hit the reply key.

Hope this helps a few fellow members that are "new" to this game.

Jonathan
Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » So, Do you think this is a scam (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL