The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When to call yourself a magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Ditto, Rick. I have a piece of paper that says I’m an Electronics Engineer. It came (literally) with my diploma and the little sticker set from IEEE. I kept a job for almost six months holding a soldering iron, then moved on to other things. Can I build a computer from scratch? Well, yeah. Am I an engineer? Ha!

I am, however, a pianist, and a pretty good one, too, although I’ve never received a penny for playing. Once, while goofing around in a restaurant with my wife and some friends, I mentioned that I’d love to play this Steinway that I’d spotted over in the corner. Well, that became a challenge. Without asking the management, I went over and starting playing “Time in a Bottle” (remember Croce?) A couple of other diners came over with requests. (One I played, and the other I didn’t know) They offered to buy me a drink, but I don’t do alcohol, so I just thanked them and went back to my table. No payment, no money, no drinks, but I am a pianist.

I am also a Magician!

POOF!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
preston eakins
View Profile
Regular user
battle creek, michigan
184 Posts

Profile of preston eakins
Not sure I will ever refer to myself as a magician if I ever think I achieve that level I might get complacent.

complacency is thine enemy!!!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
You are a magician when you have a repertoire, a place to perform and the audiences have in mind that YOU are a Magician.
Thanks,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hmmmm.....Interesting thread. I found this topic on search before I was ready to post almost the same question:
'When may one call themselves a Magician?'

Is it only about money?

-I perform in a ballet in a professional venue on stage in front of large audiences. The cast is made up of amateurs, apprentices, semi-pros, and professionals.
-It by no means produces any income for me. I am one of the amateurs.
-My gig is annual and this is my fifth year.
-I perform Magic tricks and entertain in my role.

Audience members have stopped me after the show and exclaimed "Wow! your're a real Magician!"...

Does that make me a Magician?
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2489 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I consider a professional magician a skilled adept within the art of magic. I don't give h*rse cr*p about the money or if ones main income comes solely from magic.

As the great Pop Haydn once said: "As you may know, magic is the second oldest form of income. Both forms are being butchered by amateurs" (paraphrased). Ok , it is a funny line but it holds some truth aswell. I know professional (as in main income professional) performers which are very good, but also professional performers (as in main income) which are so bad you wonder why they ever got the dellusion that they should "go pro".

So to me, being "pro" is to be skilled in what you do. Expert handling and presentation is all part of it, as well as knowledge of psychology, fundamentals etc. etc. (furthermore, the Tarbell quote by wes65 is dead on).

Just my 2 cents.
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Another good place to draw the line might be in line with Robert-Houdin's famous quote - "A conjuror is not a juggler; he is an actor playing the part of a magician". In those terms, you're a magician once you're able to convincingly portray one. The great thing about this quote is that it allows the line to be drawn in terms of performance, rather than income pecentages, other professions, years of experience, costumes or whatever. Did the guy seem to do magic stuff? Then he's a magician.

It also means that bumbling amateurs (and bumbling professionals) aren't "magicians" - if you take "playing the part" to mean "convincingly portraying".
jasonmcconnie
View Profile
New user
canada
58 Posts

Profile of jasonmcconnie
If you call yourself a magician too soon you may find yourself performing tricks all night long.
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
@Volto...Nice quote...I like that definition. Makes me believe there is hope for me...Also, reminds me of an old TV commercial:

'I am not a Magician, but I play one on stage...'
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When to call yourself a magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL