The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Optional business plan approaches. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Here are two new business plans for your consideration.

1) Get a great act. The work will then come looking for you. You can then spend time outside the office enjoying your life. Afterall wasn't that part of the huge appeal of a career in show business in the 1st place?

2) (an augmentation on 1) Get a great act. The work will then come looking for you at which point you get a great agent who does the business side of the show business equation while you do the show side. You can then spend time outside the office enjoying your life. Afterall wasn't that part of the huge appeal of a career in show business in the 1st place?

While this won't appeal to those wanting to become millionaires it might strike a chord with those that aren't totally enslaved by the lure of the $ (or £) and are happy to live a very comforable life and have time to enjoy they money they earn.

It also won't appeal to those who love the business side more than the performing side. But I have 3rd business plan for these people. 3) Put your talents to promoting, marketing and selling something else. You're almost certain to make more money.

I will now take a position hunkered down behind my riot shield an await the 1st of the rocks. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I am a full time performer because:

(a) I love performing
(b) I love having my own business

Both passions begin in childhood.

I took a "How to Start a Home Based Business" course when I was 12 years old. I bought my first magic marketing courses when I was 13 years old. I took business courses in high school then earned my Bachelor of Commerce Degree (with Honors).

I started performing magic when I was 8 years old and had my first paid gigs at 9 year old.

I can say with confidence that if you took either the (a) performing or (b) business part of my life away I wouldn't be anywhere near as happy. They are both an important part of my life. But that's just me! Others may be happy just doing one or the other.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Scott,...Great to hear you equally enjoy the show and the business. I'm sure many others who come to this section of the forum feel the same as you do. It means of course that you indeed get the best of both worlds.

My post was really to make 2 points; the 1st being that one of the great benefits of being in show business is it's not a 9-5 office job. I have met some people who started out with a passion for their show and the art and somewhere along the way that got swallowed up by the 'paper work'. That seems to me to be a shame if you don't really enjoy it.

2ndly; I was just throwing out a reminder that although the old saying says, 'you sell the sizzle and not the steak." ... if the steak that is being served up keeps turning out to be unpalatable after a short while there'll be no one wanting to sink their teeth into one regardless how good the sizzle sounds.
Neal Austin

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You SHOULD have a great act that brings business to you. Repeat business, word of mouth, spin off shows.

I get really fascinated when I see posts from people who claim that their act is the only thing they use, and they don't use marketing to maintain or grow their business.

But they forget about their business cards, their website, their SEO, videos hosted online, email campaigns, live auditions (a restaurant gig or other strolling magic is a form of live audition), etc. They also don't talk about what markets they are working, and whether that influences results. And what about their customer service skills on the phone or by email before and after the show (and in person during the show), because those also influence business performance? Those are all marketing tools, and I bet there is more they use as well.

All they are really saying is that their marketing style doesn't include a lot of direct mail. And that's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, in regards to being overwhelmed with dealing with paperwork. Some performers do outsource some (or all) of that work, and free up their time for other things.

- Donald

P.S. This topic has been discussed before on previous threads.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2573 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Donald, ( and anyone else Smile )

"Different strokes for diferent folks" was indeed part of the point I was making. (or rather trying to make)

I did not mean to imply that, 'having a good act' is the only tool that a performer should use, or need use. Indeed I was not claiming that my act is so brilliant that this is all I use. Maybe a smiley face on the topic heading would have indicated the whisical nature of my post. I forget tone gets lost on the page. What I was saying was not meant to come across as perscriptive but I was, obviously, making a point.(or trying to) That point being that behind all the sell there needs to be a product that is going to deliver the goods.

I believe that this is the most important part of the sell. Everything else can be hugly important but I believe the product is the fundamental foundation stone onto which everything else is layered.

I'm sure that this point is taken as 'a given' by those who regularly post here and so maybe this point is considered mute. After all a lot of the people that post in this section have established reputations built on great acts and diligent application of fantastic sales tools. But the cyber world is a big place and there will be a number of people out there, possibly a very large percentage, who could easily miss the fundamental importance of what's being sold.

It also, in my opinion, makes any sell much easier if there's a great product. (which was my other point)

Apologies if I've uneccessarily taken up board space with something that's been discussed before.
Neal Austin

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Re: emphasis on marketing as opposed to show quality by some info marketers.

Eric Paul would go out of his way in his calls, etc. to emphasise that you had to have a great act. He would even say that others might have said you had to have a good act, but he disagreed with that. It had to be a great product, not just good or OK.

That was one thing I liked about Eric.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Optional business plan approaches. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL