The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lessons... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
An Analogy:

The Home School community is growing faster than ever in the United States. More and more parents are taking responsibility for educating their own children, usually at great personal expense in time, training, and energy, not to mention the loss of a second income, not an easy thing in today’s economy.

The results are obvious, as more and better colleges and universities are actively recruiting home schooled students, who are generally better motivated, self-disciplined, and emotionally equipped to work in a “grown-up” world than their public schooled counterparts.

Are there standards? Of course, as a state law in most cases. Is there a curriculum? There are many available, but many parents design their own. Is it effective? Results over the past 30 years say a resounding yes!

Do the parents of first grade students have the entire map written out for the next 12 years? Are you joking?

We pull from many resources, not the least of which is our own personal education. Not all children learn the same way. Some are tactile. Others are aural. Some are kinetic. Still more are visual. A teacher who can’t reach a student where he is, is no teacher at all.

At some point we have to accept that no one is better equipped to say what the student needs than the teacher who is with him every day. Teaching is personal (at least quality teaching is, anyway). Trying to legislate or standardize teaching is one of the main reasons the American school system of today is the joke of the world.

If we regard Magic as a class subject, then we must accept that the teacher (if he knows the subject and knows the student as well) is the ONLY person qualified to say what methods should be used.

All of “that other stuff” will be learned ONLY if the student stays interested.

Yes, Henry Ford was an interesting man. Yes, we should know how to add oil and change the tires. And yes, all those rules and signs will need to be learned. But on his 16th birthday, all the Driver’s Ed student wants to know is how start the car!

Well done, Mr. Messmer!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
chappy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of chappy
Hi Kameron

I am not here to beat up on you or anyone else and I confess that when I read your question, I think I may have had the same initial reaction that Vick experienced.
Perhaps without intending to, it seems to me at least that your question encourages a more thorough answer than you may have expected.

There is a lot of wisdom and good intention in Vicks reply. While I don't often get involved in posting in threads like this I feel compelled to offer my 2 cents worth here....hopefully for the benefit of yourself and your 'students'.

I think it comes down to whether you want to teach you students tricks or magic. Just as music is not just about the flute or the piano, magic is not just about cards or coins.

The following comments of yours, I could not look past.

'I havent put together a plan yet. It doesn't seem like it needs to be quite so formal.' I write a grocery list when I visit the supermarket, not to make the occasion 'formal' but because I want to return with groceries, specific groceries. It just makes sense to have a plan if you want to better your chances of achieving some basic outcomes. Any plan is likely to be better than none.

'They are not wanting to become professional entertainers. I am showing principles, routines, acts, the basics. He cares little about the history and art.' Make him care. A good teacher has that power. He does not need to want to become a professional entertainer, just a student of magic.

'It's no worse than these kids on you tube giving away secrets in my opinion... ' I am not sure I understood this comment. Could you explain what it means?

I hope for your students that you encourage them to choose to become students of magic, not just students of yours.
DETAILS OF DECEPTION at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lessons... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL