The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Slydini and the dancing cane? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
At The Little Egypt Gazette for April 1997 (Volume 2, Number 8) there is a comment that Slydini, who sometimes gave personal instruction, included the dancing cane in his lessons. You can read the entire article at
http://littleegyptmagic.com/four97.htm

I know Slydini sometimes gave magic lessons. Dick Cavett was one of his students. But I was surprised to hear that he did a magnetized and dancing cane routine. One of Slydini's students said that "His routine is 2 minutes to perform and so beautiful and magical to watch. The routine begins by balancing it in different ways on my right hand. It then slowly moves away as if guided by the gentle wind. As it is suspended in mid air, it begins to move in a circle..."

I saw Slydini several times doing both close-up and stage magic, but this is the first I've ever heard about him doing a dancing cane routine. The student also mentioned receiving a cane from Slydini. Can anyone provide more information about Slydini's routine? Apparently it started with a magnetized cane effect and then progressed to the floating stage.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1463 Posts

Profile of JNeal
It's true!

Here's an added oddity...he taught Ricky Jay the dancing cane!! Ricky is featured in a full page ad in the old (small size) M.U.M magazine circa early 1960's. He's billed as "tricky Ricky" and is wearing a child size version of Slydini's embroidered bolero outfit!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Is there any video or book that teach the routine? It looks fantastic!

Thanks!
Dare to Dream...
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Ricky Jay's video/DVD ""Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay" has some still shots of Ricky Jay in toreador attire performing the dancing cane, as well as a brief video clip of his routine. I posted some screen grabs from the DVD on the
IBM Ring 103 Norfolk
facebook page. Click on the photos section. (As I type this, you can see thumbnails of the Ricky Jay screen grabs in the "Photos" thumbnails of the fb page.)

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Slydini and the dancing cane? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL