The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » R. Paul Wilson (Extreme Possibilities) DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of puggo
On the subject of DVD presentation:

If Mr Wilson really is as dry on DVD as some would suggest, surely that combines the best of books with the best of DVDs!

One of the major benefits of books is the way your creative mind will help with the presentation, rather than the danger of being a clone of the performer. DVD allow visual learning, rewind & pause...

So here you get the best of both worlds! Your presentation, RPWs routines.

Respect to all!

Charlie
QwertyHero
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of QwertyHero
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 11:59, tntjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 07:53, QwertyHero wrote:
Maybe it's his British humour, the UK is full of comedy programmes that would never be shown in the US. One of our favourites, The Office, had to be completely re-written for the US audience. I can't even compare the two shows now, they may has well renamed it.

I can certainly see why the OP may not like him, he's no Bill Malone, but I prefer laid back to constantly telling poor gags like other performers. Aldo Colombini's poor jokes sometimes go on for minutes, it means you just have to sit through them all again on a re-watch too.


I actually lived in England for a year and do appreciate British humor (or humour Smile). I enjoy Scottish humor as well. Billy Connolly is hilarious. I find Craig Ferguson funny too. I realize they are not low key at all though. For low key, I find David Forrest entertaining. Though I appreciate R. Paul Wilson's thinking, I did not enjoy his performances on those DVDs. That's all.


I don't have these but I have his Royal Road set and it's fair to say his performances are different. He rarely smiles at all and there's a lot of silence when performing, I can see why people might not like him. When he asks for someone to cut, shuffle or write something, it's silence until the deed is done, he doesn't say stuff like "That's great, yeah, you're doing fine" or any other filler, he just sits silently staring at them, total deadpan look.

There's one part on the first DVD where he asks a lad to cut the pack and he takes his time about it while Paul just stares at the cards, the lad then goes back to cut again but he's slow, Paul is still staring. You don't know if he's just waiting or giving a sarcastic look because the lad is taking his time about it, finally a girl next to him just bursts out laughing then Paul snatches the cards back and says 'Just give me them here' . I don't think it was supposed to be funny at first, I think he was just genuinely waiting for him to cut the cards. I can see why people might think him arrogant.

He's straight to the point and explains well in Royal Road, I like straight to the point in tricks though, less filler, so his style is pretty enjoying to me.
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 14:32, QwertyHero wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 11:59, tntjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 07:53, QwertyHero wrote:
Maybe it's his British humour, the UK is full of comedy programmes that would never be shown in the US. One of our favourites, The Office, had to be completely re-written for the US audience. I can't even compare the two shows now, they may has well renamed it.

I can certainly see why the OP may not like him, he's no Bill Malone, but I prefer laid back to constantly telling poor gags like other performers. Aldo Colombini's poor jokes sometimes go on for minutes, it means you just have to sit through them all again on a re-watch too.


I actually lived in England for a year and do appreciate British humor (or humour Smile). I enjoy Scottish humor as well. Billy Connolly is hilarious. I find Craig Ferguson funny too. I realize they are not low key at all though. For low key, I find David Forrest entertaining. Though I appreciate R. Paul Wilson's thinking, I did not enjoy his performances on those DVDs. That's all.


I don't have these but I have his Royal Road set and it's fair to say his performances are different. He rarely smiles at all and there's a lot of silence when performing, I can see why people might not like him. When he asks for someone to cut, shuffle or write something, it's silence until the deed is done, he doesn't say stuff like "That's great, yeah, you're doing fine" or any other filler, he just sits silently staring at them, total deadpan look.

There's one part on the first DVD where he asks a lad to cut the pack and he takes his time about it while Paul just stares at the cards, the lad then goes back to cut again but he's slow, Paul is still staring. You don't know if he's just waiting or giving a sarcastic look because the lad is taking his time about it, finally a girl next to him just bursts out laughing then Paul snatches the cards back and says 'Just give me them here' . I don't think it was supposed to be funny at first, I think he was just genuinely waiting for him to cut the cards. I can see why people might think him arrogant.

He's straight to the point and explains well in Royal Road, I like straight to the point in tricks though, less filler, so his style is pretty enjoying to me.


Those awkward silences are rampant in the Extreme Possibilities series. Here's a link to the L&L promo on youtube. The tricks are good, but ....judge for yourselves. Keep in mind these are highlights intended to sell this set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQC-KTT1nNI
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3114 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 06:48, tntjr wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-24 23:07, Andrew Musgrave wrote:
...

That said, I'm pretty sure that if you decide to use any of the routines and substitute your own presentational strategies, that it won't keep anybody up at night.


...

You also somehow come to the conclusion that I would put people to sleep performing his routines? I'm not sure if you are saying that the routines are not entertaining or that I am not entertaining. If it's the latter, please tell what leads you to that conclusion. If it's the former, that contradicts your assertion that he is entertaining.


What I meant was that nobody would stay up late stressing about it if you altered the presentation to your own needs.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Andrew Morse
View Profile
Regular user
Corvallis, OR
157 Posts

Profile of Andrew Morse
I watched the video trailer. He didn't seem arrogant to me. Maybe the humor is a little dry, but not in a bad way. This is just my opinion based on that short clip.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 17:14, olemikkelsen wrote:
I watched the video trailer. He didn't seem arrogant to me. Maybe the humor is a little dry, but not in a bad way. This is just my opinion based on that short clip.


I don't think tntjr was watching the same clip he posted the link to. I was wondering where the problem was as well. It certainly doesn't show in that clip.

I know some don't care for Paul's style etc... We can assume tntjr and D.J. are two of those. however tntjr's attempt at trying to show us why he doesn't like R. Paul Wilson is not working out too well for him.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 13:24, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 07:53, Double J wrote:

...
I was just making an observation of the L&L spectators. We all know They are put there to enhance the atmosphere and make it more appealing to us all. Enthusiasm, loud responses is what gets our attention.

...


You are wrong, IMHO, what these spectators are there for is to remind us that we should do tricks to get this type of reactions from normal people and not in a bubble to please ourselves... not even in noticing over several DVDs that these people are acting with specific roles and different types of reactions.

They are not there as a proof that the trick is good (this the reputation of the performer does well), they are there to set goals... just like the performers themselves in the excellent L&L collections.




HAHAHAHAHAH!!! That's funny Lawrence. Sorry, but you are wrong. Those people are hand picked and on their best behavior. I guess it also just randomly happens that the best looking are always in the front. Come on!

TNTjr- Thank you for posting that video. It shows perfectly what I was talking about in the beginning. Listen to what he says. Would you be surprised if I could do this. Would you be surprised if I could do that. Get on with it already, we know your full of yourself. It's a good thing ole' Frank has a sense of humor on the video because he breaks the awkward silence.

Andrew there is no humor. We must be looking at two totally different people with the same name. The one I'm looking at seems like he could care less about everything and everybody around him.

whoa! Down boy.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
When he asks for someone to cut, shuffle or write something, it's silence until the deed is done, he doesn't say stuff like "That's great, yeah, you're doing fine" or any other filler, he just sits silently staring at them, total deadpan look.


Personally I don't care for the performer that can't handle any break in the action! One that feels the need to fill all dead air with silly or useless patter! When asking someone to cut the cards I really doubt most feel a true sense of worth by being congratulated for cutting the deck! "Sir or ma'am, would you please cut the deck somewhere near the middle...........Thank you"! Guys like Malone can get away with "Oh wow, that's great, no one's ever done it better" but most come off somewhere between nervous and overbearing to me!

I met Paul a couple years ago at a mini convention at Hocus Pocus and found him to be both pleasant and engaging! As for being a bit glib or dry..... well that's my general persona so it's fine by me! Smile

The fact of the matter is, he IS one hell of a talented performer and I believe a lot can be learned by studying his methods and style..... Or not!

Just my personal opinion,

MMc
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 05:27, Peo Olsson wrote:
I thought Paul Wilson was from Scotland???

Hense the "United" in United Kingdom...
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
I don't see arrogance in that clip either, but I am reminded how much I loathe Scotty. One day I'll confront him...

Cain: "I hate you Soctty."
Scotty: "No way!"
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 18:14, Double J wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAH!!! That's funny Lawrence. Sorry, but you are wrong. Those people are hand picked and on their best behavior. I guess it also just randomly happens that the best looking are always in the front. Come on!

Sorry, but you are wrong about that. There's nothing random about who sits up front but looks aren't the number one criteria by any means.

You think "Front Row Frank" is the best looking? Or Scotty? Maybe you haven't seen that many L&L videos, but believe me, the folks in the front row are picked for how comfortable they are in front of a camera. You need folks who aren't worrying how they look all the time and are paying attention to the performer.

I'm sure Frank got put up front, in the early days, because of his great laugh.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Bill,

Who's the black guy in so many L&L's that always looks so amazed? David? His expressions are priceless!

MMc
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 19:53, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 18:14, Double J wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAH!!! That's funny Lawrence. Sorry, but you are wrong. Those people are hand picked and on their best behavior. I guess it also just randomly happens that the best looking are always in the front. Come on!

Sorry, but you are wrong about that. There's nothing random about who sits up front but looks aren't the number one criteria by any means.

You think "Front Row Frank" is the best looking? Or Scotty? Maybe you haven't seen that many L&L videos, but believe me, the folks in the front row are picked for how comfortable they are in front of a camera. You need folks who aren't worrying how they look all the time and are paying attention to the performer.

I'm sure Frank got put up front, in the early days, because of his great laugh.


Sorry, Your wrong. Scotty works for L&L and who knows how many others. Besides, I wasn't talking about them, I was talking about the ladies front and center. If you missed them and their beauty you should put your glasses back on. Interesting how you could pick out Frank and Scotty amongst so many.

Are you smitten?
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 18:06, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 17:14, olemikkelsen wrote:
I watched the video trailer. He didn't seem arrogant to me. Maybe the humor is a little dry, but not in a bad way. This is just my opinion based on that short clip.


I don't think tntjr was watching the same clip he posted the link to. I was wondering where the problem was as well. It certainly doesn't show in that clip.

I know some don't care for Paul's style etc... We can assume tntjr and D.J. are two of those. however tntjr's attempt at trying to show us why he doesn't like R. Paul Wilson is not working out too well for him.


Am I the only one who sees the discomfort in the audience with the clever line: "This is a very expensive magic wand. It's a stick." ??? They are trying to be polite. That's why they are there.

Agreed that the arrogance really doesn't come through on the clip.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 20:48, Double J wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 19:53, wsduncan wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 18:14, Double J wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAH!!! That's funny Lawrence. Sorry, but you are wrong. Those people are hand picked and on their best behavior. I guess it also just randomly happens that the best looking are always in the front. Come on!


Sorry, but you are wrong about that. There's nothing random about who sits up front but looks aren't the number one criteria by any means.

You think "Front Row Frank" is the best looking? Or Scotty? Maybe you haven't seen that many L&L videos, but believe me, the folks in the front row are picked for how comfortable they are in front of a camera. You need folks who aren't worrying how they look all the time and are paying attention to the performer.

I'm sure Frank got put up front, in the early days, because of his great laugh.


Sorry, Your wrong. Scotty works for L&L and who knows how many others. Besides, I wasn't talking about them, I was talking about the ladies front and center. If you missed them and their beauty you should put your glasses back on. Interesting how you could pick out Frank and Scotty amongst so many.

Are you smitten?


I like the ladies better than Scotty or David.
sanjaya
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of sanjaya
I REALLY like the ladies.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
[quote]On 2010-01-25 18:27, MickeyPainless wrote:
Quote:


I met Paul a couple years ago at a mini convention at Hocus Pocus and found him to be both pleasant and engaging! As for being a bit glib or dry..... well that's my general persona so it's fine by me! Smile

The fact of the matter is, he IS one hell of a talented performer and I believe a lot can be learned by studying his methods and style..... Or not!

Just my personal opinion,

MMc

No body is questioning his personal being, in fact He's probably a fine person. Talented Performer, ehhhh, I think not. At least it doesn't show in this dvd series. As you say, I studied his style and I have learned what not to do. So I pick...... NOT!
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I did enjoy the dvds, though at some times had to watch them in 2x speed to hurry things up.

He probably isn't performing as much now since he stars in the real hustle, and so has lost some of his performing persona. Watch his restaurant act video to see a slightly more lively version of Paul.
Double J
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of Double J
Quote:
On 2010-01-25 19:48, Cain wrote:
I am reminded how much I loathe Scotty. One day I'll confront him...

Cain: "I hate you Soctty."
Scotty: "No way!"


Now that's funny!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3114 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I suppose I'm somewhat biased, as I had the chance to meet and briefly talk cards with R Paul Wilson on one occasion in Blackpool. His approach to magic and performance, along with Gary Middleton's, has been extremely influential on me. There's an understated element of play, rather like an offer being made in Improv Theater, that I just don't think the L&L crowd knew was there. It's like a game of deadpan chicken, and in close-up magic, with the right counterpart, it can be very entertaining.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » R. Paul Wilson (Extreme Possibilities) DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL